Windows 10: "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search

Discus and support "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have been using Windows 10 build 10240 for a while and I have a big problem regarding search. When I try to search for something from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nushydude, Jul 28, 2015.

1. nushydude Win User

"We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search

Hi guys,

I have been using Windows 10 build 10240 for a while and I have a big problem regarding search.

When I try to search for something from the search box in the Taskbar, I get this message. It is unable to find many of the files and even setting. For example, "Windows Update" does not show up anymore.

* Look at the top of the search menu if you couldn't find what I am talking about.

"We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search [​IMG]

I tried rebuilding the Index but it still doesn't work.

Indexing Options dialog says "Indexing complete."

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Is there a way to "reset" search?

Thanks in advance.

:)

nushydude, Jul 28, 2015
  2. entropy2law, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Arul_D Win User
    We're Getting Search Ready & Cortana

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.
    Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I understand your inconvenience that you are unable to find Cortana in your region. Cortana is undergoing intensive learning of other languages.

If you want to activate Cortana, please refer to the below steps and check if it helps:

Cortana is now available in the aforementioned regions. However, users are required to make some changes in the settings to be able to get the voice assistant. Here are the changes you need to make:

1. Change the language settings (Settings > Language) to any of the different English version -- English India / Australia / Canada -- in accordance with the place you’re based in.

2. You are no longer required to be living at US to have Cortana on your phone. Change the region settings (Settings > Region) to India, Australia, or Canada

3. Similarly, you are required to make some amendments to the Speech settings (Settings > Speech) as well.

4. For Australia: English (United Kingdom); For Canada set it to English (United States); and for India: English (United Kingdom)

Refer to the following link and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows-10/why-isnt-cortana-in-my-region-or-language

Feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Jul 28, 2015
  4. "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search

I was having the exact same problem today with my new Windows 10 installation. Rebuilding the index didn't solve it but a restart did (maybe both are required). Let's hope it stays fixed. *Smile

AmigaRoots, Jul 28, 2015
  5. I installed W10 this morning and I'm getting this too *Sad

RamboMcMutNutts, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Problem is back unfortunately. Do you guys use 32-bit Windows? It seems to only affect my 32-bit machine, not x64.

AmigaRoots, Jul 28, 2015
  7. I have x64, it's been there all day now, no signs of going. I've tried rebuilding the index, restarting but nothing *Sad

RamboMcMutNutts, Jul 28, 2015
  8. "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search

See if turning off Search online and include web results has any effect.
    There's a bug - last week WinKey [ *Start ] then typing the search criteria (Disk cleanup) in the 'air' (no box appears, until you type something) worked, earlier this week it did not return any results unless I only typed one character, now it seems to be working.

I also saw an alert banner when I opened one of the canned searches, Indexed Locations, in my Searches folder. It informed me that indexing was not running.

I think that's a red herring though. I clicked the bar and clicked start indexing anyway.
    Give that a shot - who knows, it might help

Slartybart, Jul 29, 2015
  9. nushydude Win User
    This is x64.

I have another installation in a virtual box and I also briefly showed this but a restart fixed it.

I also disabled and re-enable the Windows Search service. I should try to manually erase the index from ProgramData and see if it fixes the issue. Cannot believe this was not catches during beta testing. Probably they couldn't reproduce it. We don't kno now to reproduce it.

nushydude, Jul 29, 2015
  10. I don't know what happened but now I cannot search at all. The Start Menu is there but no search bar and typing does nothing. Any clues? Thanks...

update: a restart fixed this too, for now... This is not good, I'm back to Classic Shell for now. Works perfectly and consistently.

AmigaRoots, Jul 29, 2015
  11. I still have the problem today...no amount of restarts fixes it.
    Yet again Windows search is broken, slow and pretty useless, I was hoping Windows 10 was going to solve the search problems (which I've been having since 8.1)

Looks like I'm going back to using the third party search app "Everything" at least that works, finds absolutely everything and is super fast, yeah it may not be pretty but it works!

RamboMcMutNutts, Jul 29, 2015
  12. TigerFX Win User
    Add me to the list. I upgraded from 7 to 10 yesterday, start menu / cortana search won't return any control panel results. I've tried:
    • I have less than 500 items
    • I've stopped/started windows search
    • I've troubleshooted the index, rebuilt the index (it claims it's finished)
    • I've disabled Cortana so it only searches locally
    • Checked that my SSD "allows files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"
    • I've restarted loads of times

And the top of the start menu always says "we're getting search ready".
    Looks like there are a few folks with this issue but no acknowledgement from Microsoft yet. I'm updating my second computer today so we'll see if it works any better.

I've attached photos of what searching for "uninstall" should return (as published by Gizmodo), vs what I see.

TigerFX, Jul 29, 2015
  13. "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search

Well I manged to fix my problem, although I'm not sure your going to like my method....

Settings > Recovery > Reset > Get Started > Remove Everything...

and wait for Windows to reinstall itself like a fresh install.

Now my search bar seems to be working brilliantly (so far) but I didnt really want to go down this route, now I'm having to set up all my users and re-install all my programes again!

I originaly done an upgrade over 8.1, but the refresh and removal of all settings, files and apps seems to have doen the trick.

RamboMcMutNutts, Jul 29, 2015
  14. nushydude Win User
    I managed to fix it on my PC, however I am not sure for how long it will stay fixed.

1. Opened Indexing Options and reset the index locations identically to the clean installed state and rebuilt the index. Hopefully I will be able to edit locations later. This is just to get it working first. Waited a bit to get the index rebuilt completely. (didn't take long because it was only a few files)

2. Disabled Windows Search service from services.msc (not just stop, you have to disable it and then stop it)

3. Went into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search and moved the Data folder to somewhere else. I moved it to the desktop. The search database is stored there.

4. Rebooted once just to get things freshen up.
    5. Re-enabled the Windows Search service
    6. Went into Indexing Options from the control panel and it had already restarted indexing the drive. It recreated the Data folder inside C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search directory.
    7. Did some other work and let it do its thing.
    8. Rebooted after indexing was done and voila!!!

Some of the steps could be unnecessary. I did them just to be safe.

Wish NVidia could fix the ShadowPlay bug so that the darn FPS overlay doesn't show up on every frigging corner of windows!

nushydude, Jul 30, 2015
  15. TigerFX Win User
    Thanks nushydude! Though I first tried your steps and at first it didn't help, I started adding back in my users folder and eventually after waiting around enough I can finally search my settings. Yay!

And on my second computer it worked just fine right after it upgraded. Must have been some quirk with upgrading the index from Windows 7...

TigerFX, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

"We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search

1. "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search - Similar Threads - We're getting search

2. Cortana and Search

in Cortana
    Cortana and Search: I deleted Cortana. I now have no search options, apps won't open, and my mouse and keyboard failed a diagnostic test. When I run troubleshooter is says my Windows Search doesn't work. I've tried every suggestion on google search, most I can't try because search doesn't work....
  3. Cortana and Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana and Search: I performed a virus, malware and clean up of Windows using Tronscript. It did the job except for two things- removed the Search icon and Cortana icon from my Windows tray. I can move Cortana to the tray. However, I can't open it. It tells me need permission from the...
  4. Cortana & Search

in Cortana
    Cortana & Search: Dear Sirs Recently my Cortana has stopped searching, stating that there is no internet connection. However, the internet connection is fine and and strong and nothing else reports this problem. I have no problems browsing at all. What's going on?...
  5. Cortana search /search ability

in Cortana
    Cortana search /search ability: Where did my search ability go. It still says type here to search, but only blank box comes up. I do not have microphone access, and don't want to give verbal commands anyway. Who wants everybody around me to hear what I am looking for. HOw do I get it back, or has the...
  6. CORTANA search

in Cortana
    CORTANA search: Hi All, Is there a way to configure CORTANA to search for specific words from a documents contained in specific folder only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search/98bd5c7b-8da6-4617-b617-cb347ba56cf7"
  7. Cortana search

in Cortana
    Cortana search: I used to have a cortana search box on my task bar that I used to find files on my computer. Now it's not there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search/92876d53-09e6-4d6a-bb7a-6eeee910fc40"
  8. Search / Cortana Get a Facelift!

in Cortana
    Search / Cortana Get a Facelift!: Search has been made better, more capable; the panel more of a 'hub'. Here is a comparison of current to coming. Example of (new) Search panel coming (See below the Cortana panel): Search is much improved/enhanced, does more, more convenience, acts more like or as a 'hub'...
  9. Windows Start Search "We are getting search ready" Forever

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start Search "We are getting search ready" Forever: When I open up the start menu it shows "We are getting search ready" forever. Worked until when I started my computer up today. I have attached a screenshot of this. 22196
  10. STUCK - Windows Search - "We're getting things ready"

in Windows 10 Support
    STUCK - Windows Search - "We're getting things ready": Hi folks. My Windows 10 clean install will not get search right. It still thinks it's setting it up....for 3 weeks. I've tried deleting and rebuilding the index multiple times but it will never complete. Any help? Thanks. 22194