Windows 10: Western Digital Drive no go

Discus and support Western Digital Drive no go in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a WD Caviar Blue 500Gb sata drive mounted in a Digitus USB enclosure. This drive has been working fine until I installed Windows 10. Now I get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by John Douglas, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Western Digital Drive no go

I have a WD Caviar Blue 500Gb sata drive mounted in a Digitus USB enclosure. This drive has been working fine until I installed Windows 10. Now I get a message that the drive failed to enumerate, (Code 35). C an anybody help please?

:)

John Douglas, Aug 22, 2015

2. Windows Defender - tasks fried my Hard Disk!

take the hard drive out and put it in another computer. Use Seagate SeaTools to repair the drive if it is a Seagate, if Western Digital, use Western Digital DataLife Guard to repair the hard drive.

Andrew P Jones, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Western Digital Elements Desktop External HD NOT being seen by Windows 10

My Western Digital Elements Desktop External drive is not being seen by my PC since I had to update to Windows 10. This seems to be a major problem for many Western Digital drive owners. Have there been ANY sort of driver updates to fix this issue? This
    is my primary back up for my PC and I need this to work going forward. Right now it is just a very expensive brick.

jessicadwyer_fangirl, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

Western Digital Drive no go

Run a Chkdsk on it, Windows 10 is NTFS but it is a tad different. Make sure that it is shown in your BIOS as a Boot Drive. Not the primary .

5. bobkn Win User
    Should a drive in an external USB enclosure show up as Boot?

bobkn, Aug 22, 2015
  6. Can't run chkdsk as Win 10 won' recognise the drive. I did try the disk on my wife's laptop, which still has Windows 8.1 on it. The drive works perfectly, swo it is a 10 problem.

John Douglas, Aug 22, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    Does it show up in Device manager and disk management ?

CountMike, Aug 22, 2015
  8. Western Digital Drive no go

Hello John Douglas Welcome to the Ten Forums!

CountMike touched on the Disk Management which is one place to start off. When you are in there and if you do not see the drive showing up go upto the menu bar>Actions and choose the refresh drives so all drives are redetected as sometimes an external hard drive or even usb flash drive may not appear at first.

At the left side click on the square box and right click to choose "initialize". That should see the volume mounted where you can right click on that to use the "change drive letter" option. It should then see the Explorer icon on the task bar flash and any system protection prompt to scan the drive. From that point the drive should appear normally whenever you plug it in or turn on the power switch depending the type of enclosure.

Night Hawk, Aug 22, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    Mine does if it is turned on. When I first upgraded to Windows 10, that was the only way I could get it to recognize it. Mine is on an E-SATA port and not a USB, maybe that is why I had to show it in the Boot.

10. If turned on and plugged in by way of eSata if you have the on/off type switch it should appear as another hard drive in boot menu of the bios setup. But you wouldn't want to see that set as the first in the boot order in case you have it turned off or unplugged from the port.

For usb drives and devices as well as hard drives in usb enclosures then you have to hit the USB-HDD option in the F11 or F12, F4, and rarely but still F8 boot device menu in order to boot live from usb. Speaking about how much time it takes for things here's something to compare.

When comparing boot times between usb flash drives both 2.0 and 3.0 up against dvd media guess which loaded faster for the Windows setup?! If you guess USB 3.0 a joy buzzer sounds off!

Other then tablets, netbooks, and All in One type desktops one thing commonly seen is the cd rom option on boards which will look a good bootable disk in a drive if no hard drive is found with a boot loader intact on it. The load up to the gui on optical beats usb not by a lot however but USB 2.0 and 3.0 alike taking 8 minutes! compared to less then 2 with a dvd burned?! That was seen with all of the 10 installs here lately! Yet the install by usb has always been slightly faster. Nothing mechnical involved as the set up copies and unpacks files onto the intended OS drive.

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Western Digital Drive no go

1. Western Digital Drive no go - Similar Threads - Western Digital Drive

2. Western Digital Hard Drive Very Slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Western Digital Hard Drive Very Slow: I use a Western Digital 2 TB hard drive, and I use Acronis True Image to have it back up my main 1 tb pc main drive. The hard drive backs up at a speed of between a few hundred kilobits per second to 100 megabits per second. I've searched everywhere online, and I can't find a...
  3. Western Digital Hard Drive Very Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Western Digital Hard Drive Very Slow: I use a Western Digital 2 TB hard drive, and I use Acronis True Image to have it back up my main 1 tb pc main drive. The hard drive backs up at a speed of between a few hundred kilobits per second to 100 megabits per second. I've searched everywhere online, and I can't find a...
  4. Memory Integrity stopped by incompatible Western Digital drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Memory Integrity stopped by incompatible Western Digital drive: What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-integrity-stopped-by-incompatible-western/7350c291-8b4f-4def-9f46-fcf81a9cad11
  5. western digital passport

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    western digital passport: stopped working after last update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/western-digital-passport/c7f43d6b-7de2-489d-a88c-67636e65b104
  6. Unable to assign letter to Western Digital My Cloud drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to assign letter to Western Digital My Cloud drive: I recently bought a Western Digital My Cloud drive...see picture. [img] After connecting it to my router the drive shows up on 'My Computer'...see screenshot. [img] I am able to enter the drive...i.e. look inside (it's completely empty) It seems I have to assign a letter...
  7. Western Digital hard drive 4308A

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Western Digital hard drive 4308A: Please advise. Is the Western Digital hard drive compatible with Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/western-digital-hard-drive-4308a/4785e9b0-8afa-4e97-8bfc-d973e59927ed
  8. western digital my book

western digital my book: After doing a clean install of windows 10 build 10130; my western digital my book 1tb external usb 3.0 hard drive will not retrieve my backups. Is this a possible windows 10 glitch; or is this a internal hardware issue with my device? 7415
  9. Western Digital Passport drives autorun?

Western Digital Passport drives autorun?: Hello, i'm moving back to 10 recently. I recall on 1st version i tried, when i plugged my WD Passport, i was asked what to do. Now not anymore. There is an autorun app that's launching to unlock the drive (hardware encryption enabled). How do i fix that? 59820
  10. Western Digital Announces 14TB Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 News
    Western Digital Announces 14TB Hard Disk Drive: SAN JOSE, CA — Oct. 3, 2017 — Western Digital Corp. (NASDAQ: WDC), a global data storage technology and solutions leader, today announced that it is providing cloud and hyperscale data centers the capacity required by big data applications with the world’s first 14TB...