Windows 10: what apps should not be removed (breaks installation)?

Discus and support what apps should not be removed (breaks installation)? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; hi im just wondering what apps should not be removed i have windows installed onto a small ssd and will never use any of the apps besides calculator... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by c0ryp1, Jan 15, 2016.

1. c0ryp1 Win User

what apps should not be removed (breaks installation)?

hi im just wondering what apps should not be removed i have windows installed onto a small ssd and will never use any of the apps besides calculator off the top of my head, and its a laptop so really i don't need apps. i have already uninstalled cortana and it now crashes computer while typing into start so anything like that is what im looking for thanks

:)

c0ryp1, Jan 15, 2016

2. N95 FW v20 - what apps can be removed?

What apps can be removed from newest FW on N95-1 without endanger Nokia's warranties? (A lot of clutter and useless programmes)

And how do you remove them?

toppskarven, Jan 15, 2016
  3. N95 FW v20 - what apps can be removed?

Only apps that show in the app manager can be removed. The rest are built into the firmware and cannot be removed.

Have you considered moving the icons of programs that you hardly use to the bottom of the list or to a seperate folder (if possible)?

psychomania---01, Jan 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, quite agree about ignoring apps mostly. Best to use Classic Shell or similar as a start menu.

Cortana is not intended to be removed. There is no formal easy way to remove any of the universal apps except with powershell commands. It simply isn't worth bothering, as these will be reinstated in any new upgrade released by MS such as the November build. There will be more to come.

Note too that the powershell commands to reinstall/repair apps now break them last I knew - we hope MS will fix that.

This implies fixing your PC now means either
    - you restore a previously created disk image (you do use disk imaging, don't you.. it's a huge advantage
    or
    - you do an in-place upgrade repair install (see tutorial section for full instructions).

dalchina, Jan 15, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    As @dalchina says it is not a good idea to try and uninstall the built in apps. Instead I make sure that none of the apps are running in the background. Turn them off in the background apps section of the Privacy Settings.

philc43, Jan 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 15, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    As a general rule of thumb, If it doesn't have the option to uninstall when you right click on it "Don't"

Winuser, Jan 15, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

I delete these Code: $apps = @( "9E2F88E3.Twitter" "ClearChannelRadioDigital.iHeartRadio" "Flipboard.Flipboard" "king.com.CandyCrushSaga" "king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga" "Microsoft.3DBuilder" "Microsoft.Appconnector" "Microsoft.BingFinance" "Microsoft.BingNews" "Microsoft.BingSports" "Microsoft.BingWeather" "Microsoft.CommsPhone" "Microsoft.Getstarted" #"Microsoft.Messaging" "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" "Microsoft.Office.Sway" "Microsoft.People" #"Microsoft.SkypeApp" "Microsoft.Windows.Phone" "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms" #"Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder" #"Microsoft.WindowsStore" "Microsoft.XboxApp" "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" "Microsoft.ZuneVideo" #"microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP" "ShazamEntertainmentLtd.Shazam" ) Write-Host "Removing default apps" -f yellow foreach ($app in $apps) { Write-Host "Removing " -noNewLine; Write-Host $app -f white # Need to hide the progress bar as otherwise it remains on the screen $ProgressPreference = "SilentlyContinue" Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage $ProgressPreference = "Continue" Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*" Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0 }[/quote] You probably want to leave the store (and calculator) but any of the ones above can be removed with no problem. I leave mail, skype and weather as I use them.

You can re-install any you want from the store which is why uninstalling the store is probably unwise.

They do get reinstalled when you upgrade but you can just run the script and uninstall them again. It saves ~ 1GB which depending how small your SSD is might be useful.

9. c0ryp1 Win User
    the ssd is a 32gb i have windows at 10gb right now with my most used programs(allothers located on secondary) was looking to make it even smaller befor i run the compress os command. i have all ready stopped them all from running just each app is 75-200mb.
    lx07 is that a batch file or PS command

c0ryp1, Jan 15, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    It is powershell. You could triple click on it and copy and paste it into an elevated powershell window and press enter if you like. It is just automated way of doing this Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

As well as compressing OS you can also compress program files etc - that will save some extra space (depending what you've got installed).

11. dalchina New Member
    Presumably you've used the Location tab to relocate Desktop, Videos etc.. to get to 10Gb you must have a truly minimal configuration.

dalchina, Jan 15, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    Windows at 10 GB including programs is almost certainly in compressed OS format already. Usually is automatic on 32GB drives.

To check, run following from command prompt with admin rights.

compact /compactos:query

cereberus, Jan 15, 2016
  13. c0ryp1 Win User

desktop, temp, tmp, music, documents, downloads, pictures, movies, pagefile deleted & restore files have been moved

the only programs installed so far on ssd are firefox, notepad++, vlc, panda, utorrent, poweriso, audacity & gimp the other programs i use i donot use ass often so i have them on my secondary i wanted too see what all the buzz with ssds were so i bicked up a 32 china brand to test befor i get a ~120 but now that i have it installed on the 32 i kinda just wanna see how small i can make it

c0ryp1, Jan 15, 2016
  14. c0ryp1 Win User
    just checked it says its not compacted yet

c0ryp1, Jan 16, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    Turning off system protection and hibernation will save you a bit of space if you haven't done that already.

I installed 1511 32 bit today (it is a bit smaller than 64 bit). With no other programs installed, apps removed and everything compressed it is 4.3GB. 64 bit is about 6GB or 8GB with Office installed...

Thema:

1. what apps should not be removed (breaks installation)? - Similar Threads - apps should removed

2. What should i install ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What should i install ?: I have both cds which should i install as Default?MacOS 13.2 or Windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-should-i-install/7c70d120-315a-44d1-a35b-2e8790d66343
  3. What should i install ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What should i install ?: I have both cds which should i install as Default?MacOS 13.2 or Windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-should-i-install/7c70d120-315a-44d1-a35b-2e8790d66343
  4. What should i install ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What windows should i install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What windows should i install?: Hello.A year ago i buy a laptop with windows 10 preinstalled already activated then i upgraded to windows 11. Now i want to reinstall the windows. So, what windows version should i install? So i can activate the windows with the original license since this laptip have windows...
  6. What is Unsecapp.exe? Is it Safe? Should I remove it?

in Windows 10 News
    What is Unsecapp.exe? Is it Safe? Should I remove it?: [ATTACH]There are tons of programs available in Windows OS, and while we know some of them, there are few which may sound so different that it may confuse the consumers. One such program is Unsecapp.exe. It’s a legit Windows program with an uncommon name, and it’s not alone....
  7. what is this? should i remove it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is this? should i remove it?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/plxnp0oadpt51.png?width=407&format=png&auto=webp&s=8875fb72cb613d6934ca3686badf428fccbd344c so my c drive was being auto filled and i searched up how to fix it , i found a method that i should open system properties , then i saw this...
  8. What is Sedlauncher.exe? Should you remove it?

in Windows 10 News
    What is Sedlauncher.exe? Should you remove it?: [ATTACH]Whenever a computer slows down or freezes, the first approach should be to check the Task Manager for Disk Utilization and the programs causing it. […] This article What is Sedlauncher.exe? Should you remove it? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. What HP Bloatware should I remove?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What HP Bloatware should I remove?: https://imgur.com/3Vzh7qx.png https://imgur.com/PBgIMei.png What is totally fine to uninstall? (Aside from the printer stuff obviously) submitted by /u/hameha220 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eh64e8/what_hp_bloatware_should_i_remove/
  10. What should I install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What should I install?: I've just clean installed Windows 10 but I don't know what apps and programs I should install. Any suggestions? NOTE: There is absolutely nothing on my PC I would also like some suggestions as to how to get the most out of my PC. 33304