Windows 10: What are my chances of Windows 10 Activating

Discus and support What are my chances of Windows 10 Activating in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've been using an old E8400 based machine for years, I've gradually updated the power supply, Gaming Video card and new SSD and Windows 10 is still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BillyBob, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BillyBob Win User

What are my chances of Windows 10 Activating

I've been using an old E8400 based machine for years, I've gradually updated the power supply, Gaming Video card and new SSD and Windows 10 is still activated. Unfortunately a couple of my racing games have had major upgrades and slowed my system down severely, due to mainly the slow CPU.

In order to update the CPU I had to get a new motherboard and ram as well. I installed everything and booted up offline and everything updated, drivers etc, but now Windows 10 is inactivated.

Will the new motherboard etc stop me from being activated online, or do you think it will activate. I can go back to Windows 8 if need be, but it would be a mammoth task.

:)

BillyBob, Apr 22, 2016

2. What are the chances of an N95 Classic Firmware Update?

read the forum, it must be 80% or more about N95 (not positive), and 5 months since last firmware with many problems noted immediately after that firmware was released. 5 months later going on 6 and a new N95 8GB is released. That looks like progress to
    you? Anyone does that look like progress for your N95? Looks like it get a lot of support? The previous post mentions N73 receives new firmware, correct that is a supported phone about every 2 months or 3 months (and sometimes less) and there has not been
    a new N73 released. I think the situation with N95 is obvious except to those in denial

likeitlikethat, Apr 22, 2016
  3. What are the chances of an N95 Classic Firmware Update?

one can be optimistic, and one can be realistic. One can observe the history of Nokia support and draw a conclusion and that would not be an optimistic conclusion. There are plenty of people who have contracts for phones that got a single upgrade if they
    were lucky. N95 has already had more than that (3?) with the last one dated 5 months ago. The cell phones that get updated are usually not 6 months between updates so every day that passes is like a nail in the coffin. So Nokia has moved on to N95 8GB. Contract
    has nothing to do with getting Nokia to upgrade firmware however badly it may be needed, contract is about making money for the phone company. The N95 8GB can just as well be called an N95 "i" version, they just didn't name it that. that means N95 "Classic"
    very likely "left in the dust" as a previous post articulately stated. When I say the I think the chance is zero, it is based on Nokia support history which is woeful

likeitlikethat, Apr 22, 2016
  4. What are my chances of Windows 10 Activating

The free Upgrade is only good for the life of "the device" -- and MS considers the motherboard to be "the device". That's what got registered when Win10 was activated.

When you swap the motherboards, Win10 will be deactivated as this new motherboard is not registered with MS.

Mark Phelps, Apr 22, 2016
  5. jds63 Win User
    Heard of someone else here who was able to get activated after changing the motherboard and cpu, so it could be possible. I always thought no too.

jds63, Apr 22, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    If i talk to the member who did this i believe i will let you know. Truthfully it is correct what Mark said.You might be able to talk to Microsoft and explain to them, but in most cases it maybe only considered if the hardware broke,considered a disastrous event . If you are not able to activate Windows 10 you most likely not be able to go back to Windows 8 for the same reasons. Unless you purchase another product key.

jds63, Apr 22, 2016
  7. BillyBob Win User
    Thanks for the quick response guys, I too have heard of people updating the motherboard and getting reactivated but I don't know the circumstances. In my case the motherboard is one of the cheapest components of the computer, just $170 out of $1700, if I could have kept the motherboard I would have.
    I suppose all I can do is ring them up next week and put my story to them and see what happens. I don't see why I can't go back to Windows 8 I paid for that, unlike Windows 10. Maybe being a beta tester and insider for years might work in my favour, yeah right he says. Just because we are Guinea pigs for years shouldn't give us any sort of entitlement.

Anyway thanks again for your input guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know the outcome next week.

BillyBob, Apr 22, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

Spoke to a member here that says it is possible by phone, let them get back to me i will tell you how. Most likely can call them as i said, let me find out more.

jds63, Apr 22, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Apr 22, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    As long as it is a retail Windows 8, it is transferrable.

NavyLCDR, Apr 22, 2016
  11. jds63 Win User
    Good to know, learning experience for me on this all.

jds63, Apr 22, 2016
  12. BillyBob Win User
    Thanks jds63, I'll try that next week, I'll probably try a few of the other things first, then I'll give them a ring if nothing else works. I was running the latest insider preview as well as being activated so maybe that will count in my favour, who knows, things are getting more complicated all the time, but I'm really happy with Windows 10.

The biggest problem with not being able to activate for me is downloading all my games again, over 80gb in total.

BillyBob, Apr 22, 2016
  13. jds63 Win User

Your Welcome ! Let us know how it goes we would like to know. I know about re-downloading games as i have quite a few myself and have done clean installs before. To think all this for games too. Do not think of it as complicated, but as knowledge gained.

jds63, Apr 22, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    You can simply reinstall Windows 10 on new pc, and use old key to activate if retail.

Sometimes it complains old key is in use and you have to reinstall 8.1 and telephone activate it (cran create a temporary dual boot option to save reinstalling 10 twice).

cereberus, Apr 22, 2016
  15. CountMike New Member
    In the long run, buying Retail W10 Home edition, which is quite enough for 90% users, may be a good investment since MS is not planning for W11 (or whatever they might call next version) for long time and retail version can be used on any future HW upgrade.

CountMike, Apr 22, 2016
Thema:

1. What are my chances of Windows 10 Activating - Similar Threads - are chances Activating

2. Windows 10 Plus! any chance?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Plus! any chance?: Please bring back Plus extension packs to the Windows 10, I loved them as a kid and had huge impact growing up in my youth in a positive way, just don't make it like 5.99 dollars like you folks did H265 codec. Bring back Plus! as a free Windows 10 Update...
  3. Windows 10 Plus! any chance?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Plus! any chance?: Please bring back Plus extension packs to the Windows 10, I loved them as a kid and had huge impact growing up in my youth in a positive way, just don't make it like 5.99 dollars like you folks did H265 codec. Bring back Plus! as a free Windows 10 Update...
  4. Windows 10 Plus! any chance?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What are the chances of BitLocker corrupting an HDD?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What are the chances of BitLocker corrupting an HDD?: Hey, all. I have a 1 TB external USB 3.0 HDD that I use as a backup drive. I'm thinking of encrypting it using BitLocker (not sure which method I'm going to end up using). What are the chances of BitLocker corrupting the drive during encryption/decryption? Have any of you...
  6. What's my Windows activation key?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's my Windows activation key?: I remember I used the following command to funny my product key: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey But now it doesn't seem to work anymore, it only repeats the string "OA3xOriginalProductKey" 169989
  7. What happened with my windows activation?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What happened with my windows activation?: [IMG] So I bought the windows pro 10 when I built my pc and this just started to happen. I'm getting that annoying activation watermark and I don't know how to fix this. Shouldn't the key that I bought have lasted forever?...
  8. Is there a chance to darken the windows10 design without an activated windows10 version?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a chance to darken the windows10 design without an activated windows10 version?: Need urgently all dark dark windows etc. Because it shoots me in the eye so many people know For browser I already have Gibt es eine chance das windows10 design dunkel einzustellen ohne aktivierte windows10 version?
  9. This is my last chance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This is my last chance: I need help fixing my shimmering and flickering in game. I asked every subreddit and never get a answer back im stressed out at this point . Anyone know how to fix this? https://imgur.com/a/iN96guX submitted by /u/OpCole [link] [comments]...
  10. Free Windows? Not A Chance

in Windows 10 News
    Free Windows? Not A Chance: Microsoft last week doused speculation that it would make Windows free across the board. "We've not had any conversations [about] Windows 10 being a loss leader for us," Kevin Turner, Microsoft's chief operating officer, said at a technology conference sponsored by Credit...