Windows 10: What are the disadvantages in installing software to a removable devic

Discus and support What are the disadvantages in installing software to a removable devic in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am considering purchasing a small (11.6" screen) laptop which has Windows 10 pre-installed and has an 32GB SSD device - yes very small but very few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jarnie, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jarnie Win User

What are the disadvantages in installing software to a removable devic

I am considering purchasing a small (11.6" screen) laptop which has Windows 10 pre-installed and has an 32GB SSD device - yes very small but very few small laptops have 64GB SSD or larger and they tend to be a lot more expensive than I want to pay since it won't be used a lot.

I intend to use the laptop ONLY when I am traveling and so will only install 2 or 3 applications taking around 2-3GB. I don't want to store images, songs or videos and if I do I will store them on an SD card (laptops usually have an SD slot).

I was thinking that to preserve as much free space on the C: drive (32GB SSD) that I install any programs I want on the SD card (and basically leave only Windows 10 on the C: drive).

What are the disadvantages installing software to a removable device (in this case an SD card which I will leave plugged in all the time) apart from maybe being a bit slower to load?

How much space does a typical Windows 10 take (NOT using NTFS compression)?

:)

jarnie, Apr 20, 2016

2. what are the advantage and disadvantages of upgrading the firmware/software of my 5530?

please do tell me the advantage and disadvantages of updating the software of my 5530. Thank you

apple_bella, Apr 20, 2016
  3. what are the advantage and disadvantages of upgrading the firmware/software of my 5530?

This is written generally as the specifics of the new 5530 update are unknown, although it is believed to be just a minor bug fix update.

Advantages:

Bug fixes

Speed increases

Stability increases

The possibility of new features.

Disadvantages:

New bugs may be introduced.

Something may go wrong during the update that could leave the phone unusable.

Disappearing languages if the phone has previously been modified by the retailer (for example they imported the phone from another country and modified it to include other languages).

If you are happy with your phone then it's probably best not to update it if you are worried about potential problems.

psychomania---01, Apr 20, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

That question is where you are wrong.

If you buy a 32GB device it absolutely WILL use compression by default. You can check it by running the command compactOS as described here Compact OS - Compress or Uncompress Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I'm a bit of a fan of compression (so take my claims with a pinch of salt as I might overstate them).

What I'll say though is uncompressed, Windows 64 bit (on its own) will take about 17GB. When you compress it (which will probably make your device faster) it will go to around 7GB. When you delete stuff you don't want (pointless apps) you'll get down to between 3 and 4.

I run 64 bit Windows with full Office 2010 and it takes just under 6GB.

You'll have a problem with upgrades at 32GB as the whole system is uncompressed before the procedure. I had to increase my space assigned from 20GB to 32GB as I could not upgrade even though Windows + Office is less than 6GB.

As for running programs from SD card, I have spent almost a month running the game Divinity Original Sin off a SD card as I didn't have enough space (20GB) to put it on my laptop. It worked absolutely fine - the heat problems were due to my feeble CPU and graphics on my MacBook Pro - not the SD card speed.

You have nothing to worry about there.

5. pyramid10 Win User
    Alternatively, consider using portable versions loaded onto SD card or USB stick.

The process is as follows:

1) Use a small footprint ramdisk installed on the laptop,

2) When on the road, run the ramdisk, thus creating a 1-4GB temporary drive from the available RAM,

3) Install/Unzip the portable software onto the temporary drive,

4) Run the software from the created directory,

5) When work is done and saved onto laptop and/or SD, the temporary drive is 'destroyed'.

The caveat is: if the software has user-interface adjustment requirements before work begins, that could be a hassle.

I employ this process with LibreOffice Portable.

pyramid10, Apr 20, 2016
  6. jarnie Win User
    Thanks for those excellent replies.

I will see if I can use Compact OS on a display model in the store to check for compression as I am not sure that the laptop I was looking at (with a 32GB SSD) laptop had compression ON as when I asked a salesman could he tell me how much space was already being taken he checked one of the display laptops and advised (I think) 21GB (or maybe 22GB).
    That would indicate to me (IMHO) that as the laptop only had W10 installed that it was uncompressed.
    UNLESS of course space was also being occupied by the files used to install W10 (I once owned a small laptop (before SSD was available) with VISTA (yuk) pre-installed and the HDD contained a partition dedicated to the Windows installation files so that a 'factory reset' (reinstall Windows) could be achieved.

It concerns me about Windows updates (and compression) although after reading the link (about Compact OS) I notice that it states that it gives back approximately 1.5GB of storage for 32-bit and 2.6GB of storage for 64-bit Windows - not a huge amount.

Having said that if I ensure that Compact OS is OFF AND I only install software (only about 3 or 4 apps taking around 3GB space) on an SD card will I still be sorry that I didn't wait for a laptop with 64GB SSD - I am assuming that with the huge number of models in 11.6" screen laptops that either the manufacturers consider it to be enough OR that the new models will have larger SSD drives as they are now becoming cheaper.

jarnie, Apr 21, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    You can definitely compress windows to around 6GB. What you might need to do it delete useless apps like CandyCrush Soda which download automatically and take quite a lot of space. You can save more than 1GB by deleting these pointless apps if you don't want them.

Things you do want you can put on SD card, no problem.

8. jarnie Win User

That is absolutely amazing (that "You can definitely compress windows to around 6GB").
    I have never seen any software compressed to that extent.
    ALTHOUGH after Googling I found the following -
    To: How big is Windows 10 on DVD and HDD?
    »» x32 (on the DVD ~ 2.5 GB, after installation on the hard disk drive ~ 9.0 GB)
    »» x64 (on the DVD ~ 3.5 GB, after installation on the hard disk drive ~11 GB)
    Have a look here How big is Windows 10, size on disk after install on an partition?
    It also shows a screen shot of a PC's storage devices (with W10 installed only) showing C: drive of 29.7GB with 20.9 free (space)! And that must be uncompressed according to ix07

SO W10 doesn't seem to take so much space (installed) as earlier versions of Windows. Maybe the software engineers are "trimming the fat" at last.

Thanks

jarnie, Apr 22, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Biggest issue is simply reliability. SD cards are not the most reliable and fail occasionally.

I use win32 disk imager to backup the sd card to an external flash drive from time to time (I use Macrium Reflect Free to backup main mmc drive but it does not backup removeable drives).

cereberus, Apr 22, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

SD cards - especially the Micro type (that can be read with a standard SDHC adapter too) are designed essentially as READ devices - an OS like windows - especially if your device doesn't have a lot of RAM will make a LOT OF WRITES - especially to a page file.

SD cards are OK for OS'es that essentially load mainly into RAM and then don't need many writes. Things like Esxi or small Linux distros can be booted and run from SD cards (assuming the BIOS can boot from the device in the first place).

If you need a portable system my advice would be to put it on to an SSD -- connecting an SSD to the computer via a USB2 (or better USB3_ -->Sata connector gives more adequate performance - even on a USB2 connection.

I run a Windows VM like this when I'm travelling - I have a bootable Linux system on the SSD and then start a Windows VM with my localised copies of OFFICE etc in several languages.

(In fact some places where I've worked at I get Better (by far) response on my Windows VM on the SSD than the Native Windows on the corporate laptops with slow HDD's !!!!)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 22, 2016
  11. jarnie Win User
    I wasn't intending to use an SD card to continually write to.
    What I intended to do was
    1) Use the built in SSD drive to contain ALL the Windows 10 files (the laptop comes with W10 pre-installed)
    2) Install 2 or 3 applications and make the destination for each the SD card. That way I would expect that the laptop would mainly only READ the SD card whenever I started any of the applications I installed there.
    The swap file should remain on the SSD drive.
    Does this make sense or is it realistic?

jarnie, Apr 22, 2016
  12. kebero Win User
    If it is an m.2 drive, an upgrade to 128 or 256gb is not that expensive. Check out Amazon.

kebero, Apr 25, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

That's what I do. Like I mentioned I put games on SD card as they will not fit on my SSD. Games and other apps are mostly (exclusively as far as I have noticed) read only - your progress is generally written to %appdata% which is on the ssd anyway in your user directory.

As others have said SD cards are not supposed to be that reliable but mine have never failed and even ones you get from the supermarket for £10 give a years warrenty. Just back it up if you care if the thing breaks. I don't bother as you can always download apps again anyway.

I have tried both booting from SD card and running VMs from them and this worked but was slow. For what you propose I think and find it is a great solution.

14. jarnie Win User
    Thanks Ix07.
    Yes I will always keep a copy of the SD card with the laptop just in case.
    I will also buy the class 10 ones which write faster (maybe read faster too).

I assume (you might have already mentioned) that you too have a laptop or similar with only 32GB SSD.
    I am thinking that it must have a fast processor as you state that you run games on it.

John

jarnie, Apr 25, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    I have a MacBook pro laptop from 2012 with an i5 processor. It is hopeless at games but (if I prop it up, ignore the heat and fans and turn down the settings) it works just about. I don't think I'd attempt GTA though.

However it only has a 120GB SSD which is (very) expensive to upgrade on Apple hardware.

I have it partitioned with 32GB for windows (used to be 20GB which was impractical when upgrading) for windows. 20GB for OSX and the rest is shared partition on which I continually keep 2 Windows VM (for work) and 1 Arch Linux VM (for fun). It is very very tight space wise but I can't afford (well justify really) upgrading it.

So, not a tablet but I am limited space wise and I have 32GB for Windows I can't realistically extend.

By the way I've played games off the SD card on both OSX and Windows but (for me) it all runs much cooler temperature-wise when running on Windows.

In case you care, I have been using a 32GB SanDisk Ultra 40Mb/s card I got from a supermarket in the UK around Christmas 2014 for £10 I think. 32GB for me seems to be just about big enough to install one game but not much else.

When I grow up and stop this gaming experiment I'll put it back in my camera or write 50 billion spreadsheets or whatever would fit on a 32GB card *Smile

Thema:

1. What are the disadvantages in installing software to a removable devic - Similar Threads - are disadvantages installing

2. Finish installing device software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Finish installing device software: Today on startup, after a few seconds or a minute or so, I got a notification that says "Finish installing device software".I clicked it and it just disappeared and did not open anything.The icon is a red circle with a white 'x' and it's under security and maintenance.What do...
  3. Finish installing device software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finish installing device software: Today on startup, after a few seconds or a minute or so, I got a notification that says "Finish installing device software".I clicked it and it just disappeared and did not open anything.The icon is a red circle with a white 'x' and it's under security and maintenance.What do...
  4. Finish installing device software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What are the advantages, or disadvantage of network settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What are the advantages, or disadvantage of network settings?: Looking for some pros and cons, regarding Network settings. If I have multiple Computers, and one computer is used for personal financial use and another is used for anything? at > Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center What is it best to...
  6. Email removal and its disadvantages

in Windows 10 Customization
    Email removal and its disadvantages: I was removing an email account from my windows settings. After clicking on REMOVE option, it says,"Are you sure to remove this account? This will remove email and all content associated with it." What does it mean by"all content associated with it"? What is theworst...
  7. Finish installing device software

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Finish installing device software: This notification constantly pops up and I can not finish installing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finish-installing-device-software/67a6ea95-2d29-43c5-9071-a55d770017fe
  8. Software on removable devices are blocked by an administrator.

Software on removable devices are blocked by an administrator.: I have multiple softwares that I use and if they are on a removable device, a message pops up saying this app has been blocked by your system administrator. If I move the file to my desktop it works just fine. I am the administrator, I've tried resetting the gpedit.msc, I've...
  9. Device driver software installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Device driver software installation: Keep on getting error messages to finish installing software. I go into Security and Maintenance and I'm constantly getting the following info:- Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\newdev.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH...
  10. Finish installing device software

Finish installing device software: Is there any way to know what software Security and Maintenance is referencing when it shows this message?: 'Finish installing device software' 44433

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explain the advantage and potential disadvantages of installation or upgrading software