Windows 10: What are these badges shown in File Explorer?

Discus and support What are these badges shown in File Explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For lack of a better term, in File Explorer on the lower left of folders and file icons, there are sometimes badges displayed. E.g. A checkmark or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AKJeff, Dec 7, 2017.

1. AKJeff Win User

What are these badges shown in File Explorer?

For lack of a better term, in File Explorer on the lower left of folders and file icons, there are sometimes badges displayed. E.g. A checkmark or double arrow. What is the proper name for these and what do the different ones mean?
    What are these badges shown in File Explorer? [​IMG]

:)

AKJeff, Dec 7, 2017
  2. Benedito D., Dec 7, 2017
  3. Dehron Win User
    What are these things for (in OneNote).

I have a question about OneNote. So, now on my phone I have (under my "Notebooks" section in OneNote) the following:

Personal (Phone)

- Unfiled Notes

Personal (Web)

- Untitled Section

I don't understand what any of these things are for. What is the difference between these things?

Thanks,

Dehron, Dec 7, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

The green checkmark indicates a variety of different application checks that can include synchronized with Dropbox, OneDrive, or other cloud storage, AV checks from antimalware programs, and so forth. Generally indicates that a file has been checked for something, and the results of the check are positive. I've never seen the double "greater than sign" item you snip in your post, so I can't comment on that one. I'm sure somebody else will have an idea or explanation, though...
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 7, 2017
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Did you install any Norton product ?

topgundcp, Dec 7, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    I believe they are also used by Carbonite Online Backup. Not sure, though. Someone else had this same issue a couple weeks ago, and that's what it was.

f14tomcat, Dec 8, 2017
  7. AKJeff Win User
    Thanks guys for your help. Yes, I do use Norton products so maybe the badges are generated by Norton. If what you are saying is correct the badges are generated by third-party software apps and are not actually part of the MS Win 10 OS. No wonder I couldn't find anything mentioned in MS literature about these markings. I will widen my search to the third-party apps I have installed in an effort to find out just what these badges mean.

AKJeff, Dec 8, 2017
  8. EdTittel Win User

Yes, you're definitely on the right track. I use Norton and indeed, it leaves checkmarks behind: that was one of the antimalware suites to which I referred in my general comment. If you find out where the blue symbol comes from and form some idea about what it might mean, please post that info here. I'm curious now, but still can't find anything.
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 8, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Kinda old, but looks real similar.

Removing icons on all files. | Norton Community

f14tomcat, Dec 8, 2017
  10. AKJeff Win User
    Will do. After all, that is what a forum like this is all about.

AKJeff, Dec 8, 2017
  11. Bastet Win User
    The blue arrows indicate files which haven't been backed up by Norton whereas the green ticks indicate files which have been backed up by Norton. Use Norton backup myself & notice this.

Bastet, Dec 8, 2017
  12. Anak Win User
    There's also a gray one:

13. EdTittel Win User

Thanks, Bastet and Anak! Knowing beats wondering every time (for me, at least).
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 11, 2017
  14. Anak Win User
    You're welcome Ed, knowing beats wondering for me too.

Thema:

1. What are these badges shown in File Explorer? - Similar Threads - are badges shown

2. External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer: I recently exchanged my laptop with a new hp pavillion laptop. So that I am using the hard disk from old laptop as an external storage. I didn't cleared any of the datas and also the windows installation files were also there. The hard disk was working fine for 2-3 times of...
  3. External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer: I recently exchanged my laptop with a new hp pavillion laptop. So that I am using the hard disk from old laptop as an external storage. I didn't cleared any of the datas and also the windows installation files were also there. The hard disk was working fine for 2-3 times of...
  4. Android pixel 6a not shown in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Android pixel 6a not shown in file explorer: Hi, i have a problem when connecting my new pixel 6a phone.there is a noise when i plug the phone in and when i change it to file transfer option on the usb menu of my phone. the cable is definitely data i have tried other cables and have used the cable with other devicesi...
  5. Android pixel 6a not shown in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Android pixel 6a not shown in file explorer: Hi, i have a problem when connecting my new pixel 6a phone.there is a noise when i plug the phone in and when i change it to file transfer option on the usb menu of my phone. the cable is definitely data i have tried other cables and have used the cable with other devicesi...
  6. DVD burner not shown in file explore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD burner not shown in file explore: Have desktop that was running Ubuntu OS and all devise worked. Decided to change OS to Windows 10 Home which was installed using existing DVD/CD. The drive is an ASUS DWR-241ST that show in bios and disk management but does not show in file explore. Have tried windows...
  7. file explorer opens but it isn't shown to me

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer opens but it isn't shown to me: This problem has affected me of late without any updates. Whenever I open something, set it on chrome and having a folder open minimized it does not appear to me when I click on it at all when before this was not an issue whatsoever. The image below is before I have clicked...
  8. Files not shown in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not shown in Windows Explorer: Just upgraded to latest version of Windows 10. Many of my newer files do not show up in Explorer. I know the files are there, because if I open a program, e.g. Adobe Reader, and and click on a recent file, the file opens, even though it is not listed in Explorer. This...
  9. External drives shown twice in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drives shown twice in File Explorer: I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Build 10586.71. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why I have my external hard drives showing twice in File Explorer (see Attachment) [img] I've had this since the first install of Win 10, and it's driving me nuts. 39063
  10. What are Taskbar Badges

in Windows 10 Support
    What are Taskbar Badges: In Settings/Personalization/Taskbar there is a item called Show Badges on Taskbar Buttons. I have no idea what a badge is so I surely don't know whether are not I want to show them*Smile. Will someone please enlighten me? Thank you. 75582

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer folder badge

2. badge on file explorer icons