Windows 10: What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install)

Discus and support What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm planning on doing a clean install of Windows 10 from ISO on a USB. Looking at the partitions I have now, I'm not sure exactly what all these are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jacob Roseberry, Jul 31, 2018.

1. What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install)

I'm planning on doing a clean install of Windows 10 from ISO on a USB.

Looking at the partitions I have now, I'm not sure exactly what all these are for and which I should/could keep/delete.

What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install) 6e8848f7-0c7a-4e9c-9478-bacc9e9c90e1?upload=true.png

I know what (CWhat are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install) :) obviously is, and Disk 1 is an external drive, so it's irrelevant to all this. The rest, I don't know.

For example, it looks like the one labeled (Disk 0 partition 1) is empty. Can that be deleted? Does it serve any purpose? What is an EFI system partition?

What in the world might (Disk 0 partition 4) do?

Why do I have two SAMSUNG_REC partitions, and how are they different? Looks like one is NTFS and the other FAT32, but that's Greek to me.

I think I might want to keep the recovery partitions if they're useful, but I also want a clean enough install that I avoid problems. If I delete them, can I recreate them?

I've been trying to look into this stuff for awhile but it's all still pretty fuzzy to me. I'd say I'm computer savvy but not at this level of skill.

Thanks in advance, let me know if you need any other information from me.

Computer is a Samsung Notebook 7 Spin 740U5L. Came with Windows 10 installed.

:)

Jacob Roseberry, Jul 31, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 31, 2018
  3. psyko12 Win User
    VISTA Installation on a partitioned drve

Uh, Is it safe to install vista on my 2nd partition where my programs are? Will it delete something? Or will it just install there? should I make another partition?

psyko12, Jul 31, 2018
  4. JodieLThi Win User

What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install)

Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10

I've tried this and it still doesn't delete the partitions.

JodieLThi, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install)

1. What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install) - Similar Threads - are partitions safely

2. Which of these partitions drives are safe to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which of these partitions drives are safe to delete: So I am trying to install windows 11 on my laptop by myself and so far I’ve been doing good but when it’s comes down to which drive I should download it I don’t know because I’m scared deleting or formatting one will have a negative effect on my system can you please help me...
  3. Which of these partitions drives are safe to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which of these partitions drives are safe to delete: So I am trying to install windows 11 on my laptop by myself and so far I’ve been doing good but when it’s comes down to which drive I should download it I don’t know because I’m scared deleting or formatting one will have a negative effect on my system can you please help me...
  4. Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete: Hi I want to install windows on drive 1. Do I delete all drive 0 partitions and then install on drive 1 or do I delete all drive 0 and drive 1? Many thanks...
  5. Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete: Hi I want to install windows on drive 1. Do I delete all drive 0 partitions and then install on drive 1 or do I delete all drive 0 and drive 1? Many thanks...
  6. Which partitions are safe to delete after a Windows 10 Fresh Install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which partitions are safe to delete after a Windows 10 Fresh Install?: Hello everyone,I would like to ask you a quick question regarding my ASUS PC and concerning, more in detail, its Windows 10 OS that I've just reinstalled. I came back from Windows 11, as many work and university apps I had been using were not working correctly. During the...
  7. Which partitions are safe to delete after a Windows 10 Fresh Install?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Which partitions are safe to delete after a Windows 10 Fresh Install?: Hello everyone,I would like to ask you a quick question regarding my ASUS PC and concerning, more in detail, its Windows 10 OS that I've just reinstalled. I came back from Windows 11, as many work and university apps I had been using were not working correctly. During the...
  8. Which partition can I delete during clean installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which partition can I delete during clean installation of Windows 10?: While doing a clean install of windows 10, I get list of partition on my hard drive. I am too much confused as to which one should I delete to get a clean install of windows 10 and it gets activated automatically. Here is a screenshot of my disk management....
  9. Which partitions can I delete?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Which partitions can I delete?: Hi Which of these partitions can I delete? See attach. 1 or more negate Macrum. OS on SSD. 2 additional HDs. Thank you. 47405
  10. which partition to place clean install on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    which partition to place clean install on: I am doing a clean install via a thumb drive being i am unable to get to safe mode or any windows screen on my desk top, so used my laptop to download from MS the win 10 install I am getting asked which partition to select.. ? Also if i select the wrong one if there is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which partitions can be deleted

2. which partitions can be safely deleted

3. if partitions are empty can they be deleted safely?