Windows 10: What are WiFi "channels" and why should I care?

Discus and support What are WiFi "channels" and why should I care? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I keep seeing references to these channels but I thought that only the frequency ranges were important. 54588 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by x509, Jun 26, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

What are WiFi "channels" and why should I care?

I keep seeing references to these channels but I thought that only the frequency ranges were important.

:)

2. hitch_11 Win User

about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

i dont have any problems of those u listed i exit frrom all applications when i finish ! well this means there is no solution so thanks a lot nokia What are WiFi "channels" and why should I care? :(

and about the music i was talking about the phone loudspeaker .. !

hitch_11, Jun 26, 2016
  3. hitch_11 Win User
    about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

1-hey ..! i did a format to my nokia n97 few days ago .. before i did the format i had the problem that sometimes when i go to photos its says " memory full close some applicartions ..." and now i have it again ! so i just wanna know how to
    solve this problem its really annoying !

2- my best music kind is trance ,, but i dont enjoy listening trance on my n97 coz music does'nt sound good for this kind of music .. so i want to know if there is a way to make n97 music sounds like x6 or even 5800 ( i guess ) .. through some
    application or through equalizer or whatever ! i dont wanna get another phone What are WiFi "channels" and why should I care? :(

hope u help me .. ! thanks What are WiFi "channels" and why should I care? :)

hitch_11, Jun 26, 2016
  4. gpstoloff Win User

Within the same frequency band (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, etc.), each band is segmented into a number of channels, dependent on the band standard (802.11n, .11ac, etc.). For example, the 2.4 GHz band in the US is segmented into 11 channels.

You, as the admin of your own router, can select to use the default channel set up by your manufacturer -- or you can change it, to prevent easier detection by "wargamers" or to reduce interference. (Consider: if you live in a large multi-family dwelling unit, you could have tens of routers set to the default channel, all colliding for the same channel.)

gpstoloff, Jun 27, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Wifi Channels are just like TV Channels appear on an Oscilloscope. They are a square waveform that the ends can overlap other bands. The problem that you run into is congestion, just like if you were in a huge market area, say NYC or Chicago and cannot tune in a low strength channel, because a higher strength channel is causing you to not be able to tune it in.

I use Channels 1 & 5 for my Wireless N Access Point that is 2.4 GHz. Cisco has a lot of good networking stuff, along with some of the other websites that get into the meat and potatoes about it.

bro67, Jun 27, 2016
  6. x509 Win User
    So are you saying that I should change the default on my router to something else than the manufacturer's setting? That is, if my cable modem allows me to do that, and I'd have to check.

7. bro67 Win User
    Yes always change the channel setting for "Out of the box", since it could be set to be on a congested channel. inSSIDer has always been a go to for everyone. It is no longer free, so you would have to pay for it, or try one of the other free choices out there. You can get around extra software, by opening up a Command Window and enter "netsh wlan show all" (do not use the quotes, they are just there to make the command stand out).

You will be able to see signal strength of A/P's around you and what channels that they are set to.

bro67, Jun 27, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jun 27, 2016
  9. Winuser Win User
    inSSIDe is a nice little program. It suggested for me to change from channel 3 to channel 11. My Link Score went from 35 to 100. *Smile

Winuser, Jun 27, 2016
  10. NovHak Win User
    There are even some access points that can choose the best channel automatically. Here in France, where we can use two more channels than in the US, channel 13 is often a good choice since APs never default to this and it's generally underused. I guess channel 14 would be a good choice in Japan since they accept up to 14 channels.

However, choosing channels outside the US regulatory domain can pose problems sometimes since some bad setups can refuse to connect. I've seen such a problem with an Apple laptop once.

NovHak, Jun 27, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    And you also have to watch for hidden devices that use the WiFi channels as well. I have a Sony home theater system with wireless rear speakers. The speakers have a switch to set channel A, B, C. I looked up the technical specifications and it said that channels A, B, C were something like WiFi channels 1, 5 and 11. So, I've got the wireless speakers set to channel 11 and my internet WiFi set to channel 1-3 (40 Mhz bandwidth).

NavyLCDR, Jun 27, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    I always try to stay at the low channels, because some devices have poorly designed chips for wifi in them. They tend to not like the higher channels. Plus where I live, Channels 1-5 have hardly anyone using them.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What are WiFi "channels" and why should I care? - Similar Threads - are WiFi channels

2. I uninstalled my Wifi Driver, what should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I uninstalled my Wifi Driver, what should I do?: Hi.Yesterday in the morning before I went to school my Huawei D14 laptop could connect to the wifi. When I opened my computer at night I tried to connect my laptop to the wifi but it wouldn't connect. When I try to connect it to the internet it says "No Internet" but my phone...
  3. I uninstalled my Wifi Driver, what should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I uninstalled my Wifi Driver, what should I do?: Hi.Yesterday in the morning before I went to school my Huawei D14 laptop could connect to the wifi. When I opened my computer at night I tried to connect my laptop to the wifi but it wouldn't connect. When I try to connect it to the internet it says "No Internet" but my phone...
  4. I uninstalled my Wifi Driver, what should I do?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. The wifi adapter disappeared in Windows 11. what should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The wifi adapter disappeared in Windows 11. what should I do?: The wifi adapter suddenly disappeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-wifi-adapter-disappeared-in-windows-11-what/0cd473e0-ff10-4ba4-a7c8-7728155483c8
  6. The wifi adapter disappeared in Windows 11. what should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The wifi adapter disappeared in Windows 11. what should I do?: The wifi adapter suddenly disappeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-wifi-adapter-disappeared-in-windows-11-what/0cd473e0-ff10-4ba4-a7c8-7728155483c8
  7. WIFI Channel Selection ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI Channel Selection ?: Anybody know who controls the WIFI channel that gets used when a device connects to the Router ? The reason I ask, about a week ago, my laptop which only has WIFI, has had instability in maintaining a connection. It drops out, resets itself and reconnects constantly. The...
  8. change wifi channel

in Windows 10 Customization
    change wifi channel: can anyone guide me on how to change my wifi channel from 1 to something else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-wifi-channel/c09b43c0-5e32-43b3-bcb1-2384d6389150
  9. I guess people should stop caring what errors happen in Event Viewer.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I guess people should stop caring what errors happen in Event Viewer.: With the DCOM errors and some other ones that happen just cause, it seems one can drive themselves crazy trying to "fix them" Today I found out that if I sign out of my computer and sign back in I will get 20 or so of kernel-eventtracing event id 2 0xc0000035. However it...
  10. Should we care about the name first ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should we care about the name first ?: Hello guys, From when Microsoft Announced to keep name as Windows 10. Many people started debating/arguing on that instead of looking at new tech and features. What do you think ? Is name that matters ? Specially, I saw many topics with "name discussions" instead of...