Windows 10: What AV would you recommend to me?

Discus and support What AV would you recommend to me? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. I've been searching for a good replacer of Windows Defender (as it Win10 version have some features cut) and for the moment I returned to an old... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ArlandrioFF, Sep 6, 2015.

1. What AV would you recommend to me?

Hi.

I've been searching for a good replacer of Windows Defender (as it Win10 version have some features cut) and for the moment I returned to an old known friend, Avast. However. it's quite heavy and it comes with a lot of "features" I really don't care about. So, I'm looking for an AV with the following characteristics:

• Real Time Protection.
    • Extremely configurable and customizable.
    • Without a mind of it's own.

I want the AV to ask me before taking action and always give me possibility of allow on a "suspicious" file. I don't care about Firewalls or Sandbox or Safe Browsing. Those are shenanigans for people that do important stuff in their PCs.

I've been looking at some Chinese products like Baidu and 360 (don't even mention if they stole stuff from Malwarebytes, I don't care). I kinda want something new and not those old competitors like AVG, Avira, but if they have improved, please, say it. Share your experience with them.

Hope you can help me. I accept all kind of AV (free, suites, open-source).

EDIT: Thanks for moving the thread. Didn't realize there was a whole sub-forum dedicated to it.

:)

ArlandrioFF, Sep 6, 2015

2. E72 - What video converter would you recommend to use with phone built-in video player?

you have to install the converter to your pc, not the phine.

i use slysoft-dot€om products which work better then anything i have ever used. worth thier cost, simple to use, settings are easy.

ceroberts75, Sep 6, 2015
  3. E72 - What video converter would you recommend to use with phone built-in video player?

Could you please recommend a video converter that can convert most videos to a format compatible with E72's built-in RealPlayer? Thanks a lot!

veselinmarkovic, Sep 6, 2015
  4. What AV would you recommend to me?

What features are "cut" in the Windows 10 version of Window Defender?

What previous version are you comparing it to?

garydexter, Sep 6, 2015
  5. Hi!
    This works fine for me: Eset Smart Internet Security, Malwarebytes Pro, Malwarebytes Anti - Exploit Premium.

Cluster Head, Sep 6, 2015
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    There's a thread on Win 7 forums that gives you info on the pros/cons of various AV's. The discussion is always being added to about the updated versions of AV's. Just remember, not one AV catches everything 100% of the time, so a layered approach is good (Scanning with malware scanners such as Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, etc, in addition to your AV.)

What's the Best Anti-virus? - Windows 7 Help Forums

Borg 386, Sep 6, 2015
  7. ram1220 Win User
    I am using Panda Free and Malwarebytes Free. Works great for me so far.

ram1220, Sep 6, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

What AV would you recommend to me?

Depending on the system I use either NOD32 AV or nothing. Both use minimal resources. However, only the former will meet with your listed requirements.

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
  9. fredc Win User
    I disagree that using Sandboxie is only for people with important stuff on their computers , i have nothing important at all on mine , never have but i have been using "Sandboxie " for years because it just plain works .

I have been using "Kaspersky" for years and it has done a stellar job , used to have Avast which is OK as well . Knowing about things to avoid and safe surfing is the #1 key to keep malware at bay though .

Gizmos freeware forum has great reviews of free security programs .

fredc, Sep 6, 2015
  10. been using Defender since the insider program started, with a scan by malware bytes every once in a while. Put Win Defender on my win7 too...no issues there either.
    Was a firm believer in Norton, but im a Defender guy now as I see no reason not to be. I just colone my drive everyonec in a wile in case I have an issue.
    I've down sized to a 250gb ssd drive as I dont need terabytes for music or movies or other crap.

dockmaster, Sep 8, 2015
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I am with Dockmaster here. I really like MSE/WD. The other day I found out that AVG installs a PUP/toolbar and changes the search engine for your browser. And I also usually despise most other AV programs. The give a false sense of security and most of them just nag you to pay for the almighty "pro" versions.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 9, 2015
  12. altae Win User
    I can either recommend GDATA Internet security or Bitdefender.

altae, Sep 10, 2015
  13. Gary Win User

I prefer Avast , I use AIS.

14. Dch48 Win User
    Where did you get the idea that Defender in Win 10 has some features cut? This is not true . In fact, it has been improved over the version in 8 and 8.1 and is more robust.

Dch48, Sep 10, 2015
  15. AveYo Win User
    ...and is still the baseline in protection.
    That actually means is the worst of all major security programs.
    When proper AV's block 95-100%, Defender only manages 80% or so.
    For new threats, it's even worse.

AveYo, Sep 12, 2015
Thema:

1. What AV would you recommend to me? - Similar Threads - recommend

2. Windows Security - Yellow triangle action recommended - Cant open/frozen Windows Security.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security - Yellow triangle action recommended - Cant open/frozen Windows Security.: Recently the windows security keeps getting yellow triangle with action recommended. However when I try to open the windows security it does not. Then I go through the Start - Settings - Privacy & Security - Windows Security but over there when I click on Windows Security it...
  3. Windows Security - Yellow triangle action recommended - Cant open/frozen Windows Security.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security - Yellow triangle action recommended - Cant open/frozen Windows Security.: Recently the windows security keeps getting yellow triangle with action recommended. However when I try to open the windows security it does not. Then I go through the Start - Settings - Privacy & Security - Windows Security but over there when I click on Windows Security it...
  4. Fed up with Windows slowing my PC down can anyone please recommend any other OS system that...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fed up with Windows slowing my PC down can anyone please recommend any other OS system that...: Windows 10 Fixing Microsoft's Problems Please don't respond by giving me a solution to speed up Windows been there done that Really trying to find another OS to replace Windows...
  5. Fed up with Windows slowing my PC down can anyone please recommend any other OS system that...

Fed up with Windows slowing my PC down can anyone please recommend any other OS system that...: Windows 10 Fixing Microsoft's Problems Please don't respond by giving me a solution to speed up Windows been there done that Really trying to find another OS to replace Windows...
  6. Fed up with Windows slowing my PC down can anyone please recommend any other OS system that...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Realtek Bluetooth Adapter Broken after recommended Windows 11 23h2 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek Bluetooth Adapter Broken after recommended Windows 11 23h2 update: Hello,On 12/20/23, I was running into some performance issues on my PC. Microsoft Tech Support told me to update to Windows 23H2 and since them I've had Bluetooth Adapter issues. I have periodically tried fixing this but it always comes back to having issues. Does anyone have...
  8. Realtek Bluetooth Adapter Broken after recommended Windows 11 23h2 update

Realtek Bluetooth Adapter Broken after recommended Windows 11 23h2 update: Hello,On 12/20/23, I was running into some performance issues on my PC. Microsoft Tech Support told me to update to Windows 23H2 and since them I've had Bluetooth Adapter issues. I have periodically tried fixing this but it always comes back to having issues. Does anyone have...
  9. Lost "Yes" Button After Using Recommended Fix

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost "Yes" Button After Using Recommended Fix: Hello,I'm copying and pasting the title of a post created on 2/1/2024 by another user. I needed help to force delete the NGC folder. After applying the fix highlighted in yellow, I lost the "Yes" button on all my pop-up windows in Windows settings. I couldn't even run cmd as...
  10. Lost "Yes" Button After Using Recommended Fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost "Yes" Button After Using Recommended Fix: Hello,I'm copying and pasting the title of a post created on 2/1/2024 by another user. I needed help to force delete the NGC folder. After applying the fix highlighted in yellow, I lost the "Yes" button on all my pop-up windows in Windows settings. I couldn't even run cmd as...