Windows 10: What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste?

Discus and support What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is it absolutely necessary to use rubbing (isopropyl alcohol)? Can't I just use a wipe/napkin or something else? Is there any harm in just applying the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BicycleRow, Jun 1, 2017.

1. What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste?

Is it absolutely necessary to use rubbing (isopropyl alcohol)? Can't I just use a wipe/napkin or something else? Is there any harm in just applying the new paste without removing the old one?

:)

BicycleRow, Jun 1, 2017
  2. nj15 Win User

N91-8GB temperature test

Indra,

Preferably, use denatured alcohol or a 95% alcohol solution. Denatured alcohol may be purchased at any hardware store and is used to clean electronics because it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.It will not harm a mobile phone.Distilled water also displaces
    water and is a viable alternative because it is non-conductive. Prolonged exposure to other liquids will cause corrosion of the copper traces within the mobile phone, and will most likely cease its operation.

NOTE:You should check to see what the alcohol is denatured with. If it is anything other than methanol (some are denatured with very hazardous chemicals such as methyl ethelyne ketone [MEK]) you should not use it, as some denaturants can melt plastics. Most
    drugstores or larger retailers carry 91% rubbing alcohol. Regular rubbing alcohol is only 70% and is not recommended.

SOURCE : WiKiHoW

nj15, Jun 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10 sticker with serial key damaged when scratched to reveal it.

This did not resolve my issue. When I tried to remove this ridiculous sticker which covers the dot matrix ink printed code, the adhesive was so difficult to overcome that it took most of the number with it. When I tried cleaning it with water first, mild
    (rubbing) alcohol next, what was left of the damaged numbers rubbed off with the alcohol. You'd think Microsoft would calculate that the purchaser holding the original packaging in his hands is likely to be the one scratching off the protective patch, why
    then is there a need for this goofy patch!??! The Chat process just referred me back to the store with no resolution. Thanks for trying, use caution with this unnecessary patch, and hey Microsoft...lose the stupid patch !

Robert

Corona, CA

Robert-Corona, Jun 1, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste?

You can wipe with a lint free cloth, but to really clean the surface, you need Alcohol to get the cleanest surface. A bottle can be found at any Drug store for $1 or less.

spunk, Jun 1, 2017
  5. What about just putting new thermal paste without removing the old one? I guess it's not a good idea, I've never heard of anybody doing it but just curious.

BicycleRow, Jun 1, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    Go to YouTube and search for: remove thermal paste

I found this video that has a bunch of useful info: Removing Thermal Compound - The BEST Way? - YouTube
    Watch at (4:30 to 6:10) He has a list of items that worked & not worked as good on the left side. I see a check mark near hand sanitizer, which is probably the cheapest (cost-wise)

pepanee, Jun 1, 2017
  7. Why? I have bought one spray 10 years ago and I do not think I will waste it all before I die.

If you do not care much about the temperature, then no, no harm done.

Cleaning and applying the new paste should give you a noticeable decrease in the temperature.

TairikuOkami, Jun 2, 2017
  8. vram Win User

What is your aversion to alcohol?

I use at least 91% and coffee filters as they don't leave lint.

vram, Jun 2, 2017
  9. tcebob Win User
    When alcohol fails I try naptha (lighter fluid).

tcebob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste? - Similar Threads - instead rubbing alcohol

2. Is it is a good way to clean thermal paste?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it is a good way to clean thermal paste?: Hi, I'm hoping to buy some mx arctic thermal paste for my laptop, and I was wondering what I should do to clean off the nearly 7 year old stock stuff.Some players recommend using 70-90% iso alcahol with a q-tip, but first rubbing it off with a dry paper towel? And dipping the...
  3. Should I replace thermal paste?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I replace thermal paste?: Hi, a few weeks ago I fixed up my mothers laptop, upgrading to newer ram and upgrading to ssd.After I initially took it apart, I noticed one issue it never had before, after I took it apart, upgraded the parts and cleaned out the dust, the laptop has started heating up, my...
  4. Help with heatsink and thermal paste

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with heatsink and thermal paste: I recently noticed my fan was very loud and checked the heatsink the thermal paste needed replacement but I didn’t have any, I cleaned the heatsink but not the cpu and ordered thermal paste it will take 5 days to arrive can I still use my laptop without thermal paste for 5...
  5. Old / dry thermal paste on mobo

in Windows 10 Support
    Old / dry thermal paste on mobo: Hi, I hope general support is correct. I was cleaning the old thermal paste on a laptop and a little bit got stuck to the board. I swear I really tried to remove it. I tried using the lint free cloth applying a little pressure with a screwdriver, then a q-tip, and nothing....
  6. What software can I use for editing instead of Paint?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What software can I use for editing instead of Paint?: I used to have Paint and I liked this software but Microsoft replaced it with Paint 3D which is much more complicated. I want to get the old version back. Can you help me?...
  7. Thermal paste

in Windows 10 Support
    Thermal paste: I've had the i9 7900x for about a year and it looks like the thermal paste is beginning to wear on one of the cores. Consistently noticing 1-2 of the cores temps rising hotter than the rest. Can anyone recommend the best thermal paste they've had experience with? I'd prefer...
  8. Computer mouse is broken, and I don't have rubbing alcohol

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer mouse is broken, and I don't have rubbing alcohol: I tried cleaning my mouse, but I don't have rubbing alcohol, how can I fix it? Moved from: Windows 10 / Performance & system failures...
  9. Computer mouse is broken, and I don't have rubbing alcohol

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer mouse is broken, and I don't have rubbing alcohol: I tried cleaning my mouse, but I don't have rubbing alcohol, how can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/computer-mouse-is-broken-and-i-dont-have-rubbing/b43cdc6e-3263-4bec-b9be-b7ca0a7714f1
  10. Cleaned laptop keyboard with rubbing alcohol

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cleaned laptop keyboard with rubbing alcohol: I just cleaned my laptop keyboard with alcohol and now when I push the left arrow key the letter p comes up and when I push the right arrow key 0 comes up and when i press p it moves the letter comes up but it moves the cursor in front of the letter, when I press delete I get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hand sanitizer thermal paste remove

2. anything other than alcohol to remove thermal paste?

3. using rubbing alcohol to clean thermal paste

4. WHT CAN I USE IN STEAD OF RUBB ING ALCOHOL,
  5. what alcohol.for thermal paste,
  6. what alcohol can remove thermal paste,
  7. remove thermal paste with 70% alcohol,
  8. can i use aceton to remove thermal paste,
  9. hand sanitier to clean thermal paste