Windows 10: What causes folders to load slowly when folder type is "Pictures"?

Discus and support What causes folders to load slowly when folder type is "Pictures"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know that when folder is optimized to be 'Pictures' (in the Properties>Customize tab) it loads slowly. For example the Download folder would low very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mibaup, Dec 7, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

What causes folders to load slowly when folder type is "Pictures"?

I know that when folder is optimized to be 'Pictures' (in the Properties>Customize tab) it loads slowly. For example the Download folder would low very slowly if it's not set to be "General items"

But why exactly does that happen? Or that's more of a code thing/bug and only Microsoft software people can answer that?

:)

mibaup, Dec 7, 2016

2. File explorer staggeringly slow or not working

When you open File Explorer it is staggeringly slow, taking several minutes to fully load and the green status bar continues to move slowly across while the folders and files slowly become visible.

Sometimes, it simply won't open and the computer needs to be rebooted just to access the files.

Copying and pasting can take hours - what's going wrong?

DavidH72uk, Dec 7, 2016
  3. RyanCain Win User
    Access and restore windows.old files

I have got all my old files after having to reinstall windows I cannot access the folder at Windows.old.000/User

As when I double click on it opens the "you do not currently have permission to access this folder" "Click Continue to permanently gain access to this folder" but when I click it the loading bar goes across up the top slowly then when it reaches the end
    nothing happens.

I can access the public folders just not the actual user folder

Any help?

RyanCain, Dec 7, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

A lot depends if you have thumb nails set if you do it must load all the files to get image if it's set to details it only needs file names etc

Samuria, Dec 7, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    If information such as image dimensions is displayed this would you require reading the file header for each file. This will take considerable time, particularly with large folders.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What causes folders to load slowly when folder type is "Pictures"? - Similar Threads - causes folders load

2. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  3. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  4. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pictures no longer loading into dated sub-folders

Pictures no longer loading into dated sub-folders: Hi, I download pictures from my iPhone into MS Photos on my Windows 10 PC. These have always downloaded via Photos into dated sub-folders within the Pictures folder in File Explorer. Now, they don't. They download direct to the Pictures folder as individual items. See this...
  6. Pictures in Pictures folder

Pictures in Pictures folder: The pictures in my pictures folder are downloaded to my hard drive, but today I looked in the folder and they were gone. It could be a OneDrive thing or the fact that i imported photos with the photos app last night. I would like to get my pictures back....
  7. Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders: Constantly, over multiple installations, I've been having issues with the loading of thumbnails, so much so that I've just come to the conclusion that it's a standard issue with Windows 10. Several times a day, whenever I open my download folder or other picture folders,...
  8. No screenshot folder in picture folder.

in Windows 10 Customization
    No screenshot folder in picture folder.: All my screenshots are going to onedrive. I have stopped the auto upload but there is no screenshot folder in C drive/ Pictures. How do I fix this. Grateful for so help. I have spent all morning with no luck. Even tried the registry fix. Cheers...
  9. Folder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu: Hello everyone, I have a laptop (Dell E7440 -i5 4300U with onboard graphics, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD) with fully updated Windows 10 Pro x64 installed. After upgrading (through Windows Update) to 1607, I noticed that almost every time I open the start menu, the folder icons...
  10. Picture folder loading times very bad

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Picture folder loading times very bad: im also having trouble with my sorting of my picture folder that has 4068 pictures in it, it always takes awfully long time for it to load all the pictures in the folder even though it's on my ssd, didn't have this on win7 irritating... sometimes it's slower and sometimes a...