Windows 10: What causes popup during boot?

Discus and support What causes popup during boot? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [Delete During each boot-up the last few days I am getting a strange Popup window labeled "Windows Installer" what does it mean and how to fix the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rfrharbin, Dec 1, 2016.

1. rfrharbin Win User

What causes popup during boot?

[Delete

During each boot-up the last few days I am getting a strange Popup window labeled "Windows Installer" what does it mean and how to fix the problem. I run memtest86 for about 25 hours and nine full cycles and all was well. The SFC and DISM did not help either.

What causes popup during boot? [​IMG]

This seems to be coming from msiexec.exe. But I am lost trying to find what is wrong.

:)

rfrharbin, Dec 1, 2016

2. Windows update command line

I update windows 10 by restarting my laptop then during saying(Working for updates 45%) there are black popup Command Line. What it is?

RendellSibal, Dec 1, 2016
  3. Popup During Startup

Hi Yasmin,

Kindly go to Task Manager by typing task manager on the search bar of
    Start menu. Select Task Manager and then select
    Startup and check whether the certain app is there.

If the certain app is on the list of start up, we suggest that you uninstall it. To do that follow the steps below:

• On the search bar of Start menu, type apps and select
      Apps & features.
    • On Apps & features, look for the app and select on it.
    • Click Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Reymichael Ros, Dec 1, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Neemobeer, Dec 1, 2016
  5. rfrharbin Win User
    I have Autoruns in my utilities folder but had forgot about it. I have been using System Explorer. I have reduced my Startup listings down to ten programs. I also Searched my "C" partition for msiexec/* and then msiexec and nothing was found.
    I have gotten to the point where one could define my efforts as insanity.

What am I doing wrong?

rfrharbin, Dec 2, 2016
  6. 91fw Win User
    C:\Windows\System32\msiexec..exe

91fw, Dec 2, 2016
  7. rfrharbin,

That appears to be the latest version of Windows Installer. (C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe v5.014393.0 ) It is on my Windows 10.

Consider re-registering the Windows Installer engine.

Open a Command Prompt (Right click the white Windows logo and select: Command Prompt (Admin))

At the Command Prompt, type the following and hit Enter:

To register msiexec again, at the Command Prompt, type the following and hit Enter:

Restart the computer.

Let us know what happens.

cottonball, Dec 2, 2016
  8. rfrharbin Win User

I could not tell that anything happened. The popup window appeared on both restarts.

Thanks for the effort though.

rfrharbin, Dec 2, 2016
  9. Is it showing in the Process tab of Task Manager?

If so, terminate the msiexec.exe process manually and see if it appears again:
    Right-click on the Taskbar and select: Task Manager
    Under the Process tab, look for the msiexec.exe process.
    Right-click on it and select: End task

Does it come back?

cottonball, Dec 3, 2016
  10. rfrharbin Win User
    It is not in the process tab, it is in the startup tab and when disabled the popup does not appear on booting up. It is running as a service and is needed to install .msi programs.

I have googled msiexec but what info brought up quickly gets over my head. From what I gather I do not need it unless I try to use a command line to install msi or msp programs from one sites answer but under the Administrative Tools > services > Windows installer; The description says "If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. I gather this tool has been around in earlier Windows op sys and I wonder if it may have been changed as the years went by and this is adding to my novice type confusion. Like why did this suddenly become a problem and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks for persevering.

rfrharbin, Dec 3, 2016
  11. This one is a good head scratcher!

What is the Startup Type of Windows Management Instrumentation in the Services console?

To get to it, in Cortana, type in: services.msc

cottonball, Dec 3, 2016
  12. Also, do you use System Restore?

Try going back to a previous Restore Point:
    System Restore Windows 10
    Select Option Two: Do a System Restore of Windows 10 in Windows 10

*Arrow Be aware of programs and drivers that will be affected!

Restart the computer, and let us know if you still get the prompt.

If you prefer not to restore to a previous point, you can do the following:

Temporarily disable System Restore

In Ask me anything, type: restore
    In the results, click: Create a restore point
    This gets you to the System Restore options.

In the prompt that appears, click: Configure
    Next, click: Turn off System Protection
    Click: Apply and OK

*Arrow Be aware that previous Restore Points are removed!

Restart the computer, and let us know if you still get the prompt.

cottonball, Dec 4, 2016
  13. rfrharbin Win User

The Startup Type of Windows Management Instrumentation is Automatic and it is running. I tried going back to a earlier restore point early on but that did not help so I restored my backup on the first of November and that did not help. I only keep four backups; Two on the fifteenth and two on the first of the month although I changed my backup procedure and may have one earlier that I have not deleted yet. It would take a lot of doing to restore and update one of the old backups.This coming spring when they bring out the next major update I am going to make a backup of it immediately and keep it until there has been two more major updates. That should help if ever I get another bad problem like this. I think that I should expand the disk space for restore points also.

rfrharbin, Dec 4, 2016
  14. rfrharbin Win User
    I have not forgot about this thread, we have been swamped here. So I went through the thread again.
    Since my last post I did a repair install, so this operating system should be in top shape.
    I turned off the system protection and then back on again. This did not fix the problem.

I did add a restore point when done with the above just to be safe.

I hope that there is something else to try for a fix.

rfrharbin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What causes popup during boot? - Similar Threads - causes popup during

2. Application Popup Error Causing Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application Popup Error Causing Restart: Hello,I would really appreciate any help in my situation. My PC is making random restarts most of the times daily, sometimes weekly. I checked the Event Viewer and found the below error being logged before each restart. The restart is so random, sometimes when opening games,...
  3. Application Popup Error Causing Restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Application Popup Error Causing Restart: Hello,I would really appreciate any help in my situation. My PC is making random restarts most of the times daily, sometimes weekly. I checked the Event Viewer and found the below error being logged before each restart. The restart is so random, sometimes when opening games,...
  4. What's causing the same VC++ Runtime Library error popup on bootup?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What's causing the same VC++ Runtime Library error popup on bootup?: Since "patch Tuesday's" update two weeks ago, every time I boot up my Windows 10 computer, the following error popup show up in the middle of my screen.Any ideas what's causing it? No changes to my system other than the update. Never saw it before.Thanks....
  5. What's causing the same VC++ Runtime Library error popup on bootup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's causing the same VC++ Runtime Library error popup on bootup?: Since "patch Tuesday's" update two weeks ago, every time I boot up my Windows 10 computer, the following error popup show up in the middle of my screen.Any ideas what's causing it? No changes to my system other than the update. Never saw it before.Thanks....
  6. What's causing the same VC++ Runtime Library error popup on bootup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Help with volume popup causing a blackscreen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with volume popup causing a blackscreen: 2 days ago i updated windows 10 and ever since then anytime i am in game (fullscreeen) and turn my volume up the popup makes my game get a black screen for a second then another second once the popup goes away. I have tried searching for the issue but i dont get any helpful...
  8. What may cause Abnormal Shutdown during hibernate?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What may cause Abnormal Shutdown during hibernate?: Everytime the lid is closed and the laptop hibernates, the hibernate ends with an abnormal shutdown, when the lid is open. The figure is a part of the report generated by powercfg /sleepstudy. It can be seen the exit reason is Abnormal Shutdown. and it occurs when the lid...
  9. Freezing during boot + will not shut down. What is wrong?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freezing during boot + will not shut down. What is wrong?: My free upgrade from 7 pro worked well for one month, but has become increasingly unstable. Firstly the boot up screen before sign-in virtually freezes - the circulating dots stutter and almost stop - I do not know if it eventually boots because I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and...
  10. What caused the change in my startup screen during a machine boot up?

in Windows 10 Support
    What caused the change in my startup screen during a machine boot up?: I know this is not a big deal but I wanted to know what caused a change in my startup screen during the boot up of my HP laptop. I have an HP Pavillion laptop that I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When it was Windows 7 during boot up I would see the Windows 7 logon...