Windows 10: What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt?

Discus and support What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; [img] This is the screen just before exiting chkdsk. There were bad sectors on the disk. In that case some files, I heard, could be deleted when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by FeoNiks, Aug 6, 2016.

1. FeoNiks Win User

What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt?

What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt? [​IMG]

This is the screen just before exiting chkdsk. There were bad sectors on the disk. In that case some files, I heard, could be deleted when chkdsk is executed with /r switch, so I turned it off in haste. As you see, chkdsk didn't leave any messages that it deleted or modifed something. Still could there be any files already deleted? When I checked it out after the terminaton no found.xxx folder or chk file was found.

It is said that there could be losses in the data recorded on the sectors marked as bad in the recovery process using /r switch. What I'd like to know is if there could be any possibility that when the job occurred it proceeded without leaving any job history on the prompt screen.

:)

FeoNiks, Aug 6, 2016

2. backup flash restore what exactly

Probably missing something here but sounds as if this backup taken too late after damage done and you restored corrupt data in the process but maybe wrong.

aspergerguy, Aug 6, 2016
  3. critical_process_denied blue screen windows 10

This computer has a hard drive and a flash drive. The operating system is on the hard drive. The flash drive is for flash cache. When there is a dmp if the file goes to the hard drive versus the flash drive will that be the factor determining whether
    it is available/saved or unavailable? I read something about page size of the drive and didn't understand it. Driver verifier was used which created multiple blue screens. The settings seem correct for the dmp save yet they were not available to view by
    whocrashed, bluescreenview and by everythingsearch entering *.dmp or *.minidmp.

This computer when using administrative command prompt this morning and entering chkdsk reports:

0 bad file records processed

1557656 USN bytes processed

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

0 KB in bad sectors

Last night I ran chkdsk /r

For approximately one hour it remained at 10%.

This AM the desk top was open , I entered my password and attempted to find the results of the chkdsk /r.

Where are they supposed to be? How do I find the log?

Not knowing where to find the results I went to event viewer. There I created a custom view with critical, warning and error for windows logs and saw an error: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block. Event ID 7. Clicking on event log online
    help opened we are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

Is there a primer on hard drives, chkdsk, event viewer interpretation, and bad block?

What does it mean chkdsk found 0 bad sectors? Does that mean there are no significant problems with the hard drive?

When chkdsk /r completes is the computer supposed to open to the desktop for password entry or is there supposed to be a result? If so how is it found? When I viewed the event viewer on the left panel I clicked on windows logs then application then find
    and entered chkdsk. There were multiple results all of which had 0 bad sectors. When I entered chkdsk /r it did not work for the find. Should the chkdsk /r find anything if the chkdsk reports 0 bad sectors?

What is the significance of the error The device, \Device\Harddisk0\Dr0, has a bad block?

If I run diagnostics on the hard drive what would be expected with chkdsk found 0 bad sectors? What is the difference between the chkdsk test and the short dst or generic or smart tests?

questions_, Aug 6, 2016
  4. What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt?

It doesn't look like Stage 4 completed successfully. If you aborted it before it completed, it wouldn't report any bad sectors.

storageman, Aug 6, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Hi VIEN,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

There hasn't been any occasion that chkdsk deleted files in bad sectors with the users I requested to run chkdsk with /r parameter.

Depends on where the bad sector(s) are, you let chkdsk scan 869 sectors from 93936 present in the user data (the part where data is present), if any is present within the 869 then they could've been marked as bad where the data in it would be moved to a different location. If none was present then nothing happened.

Chkdsk will leave a log in the event viewer when its job is finished, mostly what you'll see in the log is security descriptors been deleted what has nothing to do with personal files being deleted. Only in the log you'll see certain things as 'this and that has been deleted' but nothing will be from personal files.

axe0, Aug 6, 2016
  6. FeoNiks Win User
    Unfortunately log was not created in this time because of abort chkdsk by myself. according to screenshot, chkdsk was checking 869 clusters and did not find any errors yet (judging by prompt, any error messages aren't leaved on prompt), so i assume chkdsk did not touch any data/sectors yet, and i canceled before something can happen with data/sectors by chkdsk. how do you think about this conclusion?

FeoNiks, Aug 7, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    It is an incorrect conclusion TBH, chkdsk will say if it found a bad sector after a stage is done.
    So, there are 5 stages,
    • file structure scan,
    • file name linkage scan,
    • security descriptors scan,
    • user data scan,
    • free space scan
    if in stage 4 a single sector is found then chkdsk will mention that after the scan of stage 4 is finished.

The conclusion is that it is not known if chkdsk found any bad sectors.

axe0, Aug 7, 2016
  8. FeoNiks Win User

I just found these messages about stage 4, my conclusion was refer on these messages = if chkdsk found any errors in stage 4, it leaving messages at real time like this.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
    Windows replaced bad clusters in file 2813
    of name $PATH1.MKV.
    Windows replaced bad clusters in file 2863
    of name $PATH2.MKV.
    Windows replaced bad clusters in file 2881
    of name $PATH3.MKV.
    Windows replaced bad clusters in file 2891
    of name $PATH4.MKV.

or

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
    Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xb2b4000 for 0x10000 bytes.
    A disk read error occurredc0000185
    The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
    detected in file 73702 of name \PROGRA~1\WI7DB9~1\MIE81F~1.0_X\MRT100~1.DLL.

Did you mean that all messages will be mentioned that after the scan of stage 4 is finished? or i understood wrong?

FeoNiks, Aug 7, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, most messages will be visible in the log after the scan. Stuff as bad sectors are included while the scan is going, but after a stage is finished. I've never seen bad sectors being mentioned while a stage scan is not yet finished.

axe0, Aug 7, 2016
  10. FeoNiks Win User
    What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt? [​IMG]

This is the last screen just before exiting chkdsk. There were bad sectors on the disk. In that case some corrupted data on bad sectors, I heard, could be changed/removed when chkdsk is executed with /r switch, so I turned it off in haste. As you see, chkdsk didn't leave any messages that it deleted or modifed something. Still could there be any files already changed? When I checked it out after the terminaton no found.xxx folder or chk file was found.

It is said that there could be losses in the data recorded on the sectors marked as bad in the recovery process using /r switch. What I'd like to know is if there could be any possibility that when the job occurred it proceeded without leaving any job history on the prompt screen.

FeoNiks, Aug 12, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    You can check the log in Event Viewer to see what was done.
    Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer - Read in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

You didn't stop the chkdsk in the middle of the scan did you?
    It's my understanding that if chkdsk /r finds bad sectors it will attempt to move the data to a safe place and then mark those bad sectors off so they're not used again.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt? - Similar Threads - CHKDSK exactly logging

2. No log in prompt.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No log in prompt.: hello everyone, i updated my windows and its now done booting up. But when it boots up, the windows log in didn't show up and it turned into thatpicture after waiting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-log-in-prompt/3f20d445-c381-4bb1-b7e4-4b9851e8a34b
  3. chkdsk cmd prompt error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    chkdsk cmd prompt error: hello all. i get the error in the following image. i am trying step #1 here: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/error-solved-slow-receive-emails-outlook-2016-2013-2010/ what am i doing wrong? I believe I have ownership. thanks. [ATTACH]...
  4. Chkdsk failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 6

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chkdsk failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 6: Okay, so I've scoured the internet for several days trying to fix my pc. I've hard reset at least 4 times now and nothing seems to be working. I'm not sure why but I'll reset my pc and it will work for a few hours but somehow it will start to get corrupted files and start...
  5. Whats Steam Exactly?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whats Steam Exactly?: What exactly is steam games? How does it work on PC? Do I need to download their client platform to play games? Do I download games to play on my PC or use their client platform? 143889
  6. Whats Steam Exactly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Whats Steam Exactly?: What exactly is steam games? How does it work on PC? Do I need to download their client platform to play games? Do I download games to play on my PC or use their client platform? 143889
  7. Chkdsk Logs Partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chkdsk Logs Partition?: Recently I've decided to clean out my Lenovo hard drive from 4 years ago. I noticed Several OEM partitions taking up lots of space( 75GB in total.) So after I deleted a few, there remained one which was only 350 MB which I was not able to do anything with( when I...
  8. What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?: I did a Google search and the explanations were esoteric to me. Are repairs to the hard drive done and are the repairs permanent? 131780
  9. Chkdsk in command prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chkdsk in command prompt: Why does running chkdsk in command prompt as administrator in windows 10 take so long? It looks like it will take weeks. Incidentally, after around 9,000 clusters checked...
  10. Chkdsk in command prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Chkdsk in command prompt: Why does running chkdsk in command prompt as administrator in windows 10 take so long? It looks like it will take weeks. Incidentally, after around 6,000 clusters checked out of 835,248 clusters that hard drives Properties - Tools became accessible enabling chkdisk without...