Windows 10: What CPU thermometer to believe?

Discus and support What CPU thermometer to believe? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I took my running laptop out for a moment and held it on my hand. It felt hot and I ran my "Speccy" software. That showed me a temperature of 112-115... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by theo54au, Dec 12, 2016.

1. theo54au Win User

What CPU thermometer to believe?

I took my running laptop out for a moment and held it on my hand. It felt hot and I ran my "Speccy" software. That showed me a temperature of 112-115 C. That was alarming so I installed another few programs. But to my surprise they all give me a different reading. Now, how do I interpret the readings and what do I make of it?
    The other program showed me a temp. of 65c at the same time Speccy showed me 115c. So what to believe??
    The picture is a screenshot of the 2 programs besides one another:

What CPU thermometer to believe? [​IMG]

:)

theo54au, Dec 12, 2016

2. HWMonitor CPUID program 122c temps (248F_. Is this possible? TMPIN6

You can try installing a different hardware monitoring software, then check if it's showing the same temperature. If there's an available room thermometer in your house, you could use it to at least check the heat that is being released within your CPU.

If both methods show the same temperature, kindly get back to us so that we can assist you further.

Joshua Her1, Dec 12, 2016
  3. LCRT Win User
    thermometer and barometer

make one yourself - if you think it is so important. seems like big stupidity to not make one. should be easy.

4. dencal Win User

Your motherboard should give the most accurate reading....have a look in your bios.

dencal, Dec 12, 2016
  5. theo54au Win User
    But, don't those readings come from the motherboard?

theo54au, Dec 12, 2016
  6. Slippery Win User
    I think the differences in each of the various programs results amounts to a failure to keep the program updated to read the sensors on the motherboard and the hardware correctly.
    I have used Hardware Info for years. (HWInfo). It is and always has been, free for personal use. It is widely used by large business' so as to make the free version possible. It is free to download from the author's site (don't get it elsewhere) without any kind of PUP or nags.
    You may like the features and ability to display as much or as little info as possible in widgets on the desktop or in the systray.

Get it here: HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools

It will tell you way more than you could ever want to know so you need to take a little time to configure it to show you just what you want to see.

Slippery, Dec 12, 2016
  7. theo54au Win User
    I just did, but my BIOS doesn't show me a temperature.

theo54au, Dec 12, 2016
  8. theo54au Win User

HWinfo reads about the same temperatures as OpenHardwareMonitor, so I am tempted to trust that, thanks!

theo54au, Dec 12, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What CPU thermometer to believe? - Similar Threads - CPU thermometer believe

2. I believe my account was hacked. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I believe my account was hacked. What should I do?: I believe my email at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** was hacked. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-believe-my-account-was-hacked-what-should-i-do/9675358a-5193-4445-9898-d5abb2f827dd
  3. I believe my account was hacked. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I believe my account was hacked. What should I do?: I believe my email at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** was hacked. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-believe-my-account-was-hacked-what-should-i-do/9675358a-5193-4445-9898-d5abb2f827dd
  4. I believe my account was hacked. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I believe there is a Trojan Virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I believe there is a Trojan Virus: I've had these weird Dos windows flash in, while i'm using my PC, in Fullsrcn.I've caught a Srcnshot of the Dos-window and was able to open the source into Notepad.Hopefully one of the Wizzards can help me. Both a scan from MSERT And Defender is giving me, an all-clear.I have...
  6. not sure what this is this is new since the last update i believe

not sure what this is this is new since the last update i believe: ModelSAMSUNG MZVLB256HAHQ-000L2 SerialS41FNB1K418317 CURRENT_8S_LABEL 8SSSS0Q63864G1CX84063ER Logical Sector Size512 Logical Sectors500118192...
  7. What I believe is just Lazy Programming for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What I believe is just Lazy Programming for Windows 10: Since Microsoft gave away the consumer version of Windows 10 back in 2015, the constant at least two per month cumulative updates seem to be an example of lazy, unfocused programming since Microsoft doesn't make any money from this free product. For example, in the latest...
  8. thermometer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    thermometer: Why do I keep getting a X on my bingo games and nothing else in the thermometer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thermometer/2fbf0fa0-fe7e-425c-b358-77e5a3fdee67
  9. I Believe there is Scammer

I Believe there is Scammer: I have loud screaming noise on laptop and message saying computer is locked do not turn off. Identity has been stolen and ring a number. Now I can't turn on laptop, just keep getting this message. How do I stop it? [Original Title: scammer]...
  10. I believe there is a virus

I believe there is a virus: how to remove "microsoft popup" using windows defender [Original Title: virus] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/i-believe-there-is-a-virus/defbe10f-430c-40c5-8250-032b61d412fb