Windows 10: What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10?

Discus and support What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10? Do you think Microsoft would ever do that? 4960 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, Mar 25, 2015.

1. groze Win User

What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10?

Do you think Microsoft would ever do that?

:)

groze, Mar 25, 2015

2. What do you guys think about Windows developing themses for Windows 10?

I see windows 10 as Windows 8 done right but even then I still am having a hard time with Windows 10. I loved Windows XP and Vista was alright and I loved windows 7. I will admit after WIndows 8/8.1 came out I been weary of Microsoft. bought XP/Vista/7 and
    lucky enough I borrowed a friend's laptop to see Windows 8 and I refused to buy it. A friend gave me his laptop this year and this has windows 10 and it's better than 8 but not as good as XP/Vista/7. If windows could introduce themes such as Windows XP Theme,
    Windows Vista Theme, Windows 7 Theme to where it can change your icons, task bar and start button icon and menu to look exactly like XP/Vista/7 but all the features, apps, etc...will still be windows 10. Below is an example of a Theme I'm looking for unfortunately
    I wish it was more Aero like and more windows 7 like So here are some ideas Microsoft can work with

Windows Vista

What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10? [​IMG]

WIndows 7

Scorpius-Z7, Mar 25, 2015
  3. Lumia Lust, anyone? What you guys think of WP8?

BB,

I am a current E6 user and in a nutshell, I was enamored with the Lumia 920 too. But, after spending about an hour playing with it and discovering that many functions were no longer present from previous Nokias (e series), I decided it's not for me. There
    may be apps in the App Store that would replace the functions that are no longer there but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money to discover the apps don't exist.

This is just a list of deal breakers for me (just my opinion too):

No GPS Data editor: This is my most important "gotta have" function. I have an old E71 that had the best GPS Data apps. The E6 I had originally didn't have a GPS data editor but I found something that worked in Nokia Store. After
    upgrading to Belle, that app no longer was compatible and there is no other for the E6.

No Keyboard: Although the virtual keyboard one the Lumia 920 is very good, it will never replace a real keyboard.

OS: If I am going to have to make a switch, WP8 is a good switch. But, I really like Symbian and the way things are structured within the OS.

Data Speed: I am on T-Mobile so the Lumia 920 will only do EDGE speeds. Plus, AT&T won't sell them outright without a contract at this time. At least that's what they told me. I am guessing you are with AT&T so data speeds shouldn't
    be a problem for you.

The bottom line for me is I will be moving on from Nokia entirely. This may seem a little dramatic but I really feel let down by Nokia at this point. I was always bragging about what my E71 could do compared to iPhone users. The fact that I had a powerful
    GPS tool was so important since I travel. The E6 brought many improvements but was also a step backwards in many cases from the E71. I was able to make the E6 funtion as my E71 did but then Belle came along. My E6 on Belle will no longer do what I mainly
    wanted it to do. The Lumia 920 doesn't bring back any of the lost functions and is in fact another step backward in many respects, for me at least. As is the case with anything, my comments are strickly my opinion and relate to how I use(d) my E71 and E6.

DS

DESe6---01, Mar 25, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

What do you mean? Are you talking about linux again and swapping KDE for something else?

If so, no, of course not.

adamf, Mar 25, 2015
  5. groze Win User
    Adamf,

No swapping, the default desktops would remain installed.

I hate to brink up Linux again. For example in Ubuntu or almost any distro you can add other smaller desktops. Adding Kde and Gnome may conflict with the current desktop installed.

Sample would be
    Sudo apt-get install xfce4

In windows
    Oneget install w31destkop, w95desktop or w98desktop or wmedesktop or w2000desktop or wvistadesktop or windows7desktop or window81desktop or Wntdesktop and so on.

groze, Mar 25, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    It seems that you like Linux more that Windows.. and that's cool but please stop wishing that Windows looks/functions like Linux. It's not going to happen.

BunnyJ, Mar 25, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    Then why is Microsoft getting oneget?

groze, Mar 25, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

It's an enhancement.. but what you want is not going to happen. Really, if you like Linux that much use it and skip Windows.

BunnyJ, Mar 25, 2015
  9. JDobbsy1987, Mar 25, 2015
  10. groze Win User
    I still use windows 7 and most likely will stick with windows 7 with some form of Linux installed. I say I use them about equal, right now I am posting from windows 7. I still have a checkbook program I made with windows 7 Microsoft works database that I still use. I didn't like any of the free checkbook software.

groze, Mar 25, 2015
  11. adamf Win User
    Well, no. That isn't how Windows works. As with OSX you use the UI you are given (subject to a limited bit of customisation). That is really the whole point.

If you don't like it then you have to use a different OS where you can install whatever DM you want.

OneGet is only a (currently rather limited) way of installing things that actually exist. You can't use it to install things that no-one has written.

Similarly you cant hope
    sudo apt-get free_version_of_MSOffice_and_a_start_button_that_looks_like_a_cucumber
    will work on any version of linux.

adamf, Mar 25, 2015
  12. groze Win User
    adamf
    Funny, I didn't mean it that way. (Bold item)
    I have used computer since windows 95 came out, actually even before that. I know a little Basic. Just because my grammar is bad, doesn't mean I am bad with computers.

On OSX, I think you can install other desktops unofficially. It is called Macports, but you can't use any mac software while using the Linux desktop.

Here is something else
    Ubuntu 14.04 Now Runs Well On The 2013 MacBook Air, Beats OS X 10.9 In Graphics - Phoronix

groze, Mar 25, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

One has to understand that Linux has *NO* user interface at all by default. A distro has to first choose the Windowing system it will use, most of which choose some form of X Windows, this by itself doesn't have any UI either other than some very basic tools.

Because Linux has no user interface (and thus no desktop), there are literally dozens if not hundreds of competing "standards" for the desktop, which includes everything from window chrome (Window managers) to Taskbars, to task managers, to common widgets, to basic functionality which must be duplicated by each and every desktop environment. It's very inefficient. Imagine if all those people writing their individual desktops got together and created a common set of functionality, and then simply added their unique features on top of it.

Mystere, Mar 25, 2015
  14. adamf Win User
    Well indeed. I log on and then type startx. I guess if I had installed Ubuntu I could skip that step but it doesn't take that long really.

adamf, Mar 26, 2015
  15. Kari Win User
    PowerShell OneGet is not a tool designed or intended to swap desktops. It is a package manager, or rather a packet manager management system (aggregator) to guide and handle various package managers like Chocolatey, NuGet and so on, even allowing users to create their own package providers and repositories.

A package provider's main purpose is to offer a centralized access to application installers in various repositories. The most useful feature and the advantage even for a normal average user is the fast, easy and reliable "no-BS" approach for application installation: multiple apps can be installed with one simple command, the installers are picked up directly from the source bypassing each and every "Would you also download this" or "By installing this you also install that", as well as all "Click Next", "Click Continue" and such dialogs. One command, press enter, go get coffee and all 5 or 8 or 16 apps you told OneGet to install have been installed, silently in the background.

In no way is OneGet meant nor will it be used to swap Windows desktop and windowing system.

I am a great OneGet fan. Even if somewhat off topic, to finish this rant here's how I install Windows nowadays:
    • Install Windows 10 until it finally arrives to Settings dialog
    • Press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 to reboot to Audit Mode
    • Open PowerShell, give one command to install all my desktop apps
    • While OneGet works in the background, customize Windows and prepare the answer file to generalize the image and relocate the Users folder to drive X:
    • Sysprep the Windows image shutting down the PC
    • Boot with WinPE to capture the image for further installs / deployments
    • Boot the PC to OOBE to finalize installation
    Nice, relatively fast, extremely easy. End result is a Windows with everything installed, and a virgin Windows image which I can use to install (deploy) this same setup to any PC. Although the image already contains all the software I installed in Audit Mode, it's deployed faster to a new PC than a normal clean install of Windows would take on the same PC.

Thema:

1. What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10? - Similar Threads - guys installable desktops

2. What browser are you guys using?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What browser are you guys using?: Been using edge for awhile now and they added so many bloatware that i think its time i move on… submitted by /u/runnbl3 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/13c2fbu/what_browser_are_you_guys_using/
  3. guys do you even know what is this on my computer

guys do you even know what is this on my computer: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hahaha23213 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5zyd7/guys_do_you_even_know_what_is_this_on_my_computer/
  4. What do you think of these recommended apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do you think of these recommended apps?: I've taken the recommendations I've collected from several articles and forums across the internets and submitted them to various websites for reactions. As is typical for the internet, not everyone agrees. Below is the current state of the list. Do you have any experience...
  5. What Do You Think of this as an Update for WordPad on Windows 10?

What Do You Think of this as an Update for WordPad on Windows 10?: Guys,Ever since Windows 8.1, many users have been petitioning Microsoft to update WordPad for Windows 10 to give it a new look and feel. It would have a spellchecker, and a Dark Theme Mode. I went online, and a program developer for Windows 10 created this added image. I...
  6. You guys know what this is.

You guys know what this is.: So yeah it’s happening again (it happens literally every startup) black screen no cursor, is lit up, can’t even get into the automatic repair screen because the turn it off and back on three times trick won’t work, have no automatic repair drive or cd thing (wouldn’t matter...
  7. What do you think of the hardware?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What do you think of the hardware?: HI! I started this thread is this a good deal - Windows 10 Forums but I think it is here better First what do you think of the harsware I got this laptop MSI GT83VR 7RF-206 Titan SLI - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews with the price 2800$ is this a good price for this...
  8. What do you think about ZHPCleaner?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What do you think about ZHPCleaner?: ZHPCleaner is another free French program for cleaning PUPs/Adware from your system. I usually run it alongside RKILL, MBAM. AdwClenaner, JRT, etc for having a different opinion. It seems to do a more thorough registry search than the others. Sometimes it points out leftover...
  9. What do you guys think of the "Browser War" between Edge and Opera?

in Browsers and Email
    What do you guys think of the "Browser War" between Edge and Opera?: I'm sure that a lot of you guys heard about the study conducted over battery life on PCs that use different browsers contently. According to Microsoft, Edge outperformed all the other browsers in terms of battery conservation. Opera's creators struck back with their own study...
  10. What Apps do you think Windows 10 should have?

What Apps do you think Windows 10 should have?: The main 3 apps that I use on my phone are the Facebook app, Facebook Messenger app, Facebook Pages Manager app, and the Instagram app. I think Windows 10 should come with at least the Facebook Messenger app. What do you all think, and what apps would you all like to see in...