Windows 10: What do you think will happen when the final version is released?

Discus and support What do you think will happen when the final version is released? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have read most of all the threads here and just wondered when the final version is ready to release and I say yes to the update to my desktop PC what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by winxp, Jun 16, 2015.

1. winxp Win User

What do you think will happen when the final version is released?

I have read most of all the threads here and just wondered when the final version is ready to release and I say yes to the update to my desktop PC what will it do?

I know it will use my previous Windows Prod ID to install but wondered if it really will be like a fresh install and leave a OLD_Windows directory like in past installs of Windows?

The reason I ask is because I always like a fresh clean install in hopes that Windows will feel better when done.
    With newer drivers and such.

I also know I can download the iso and burn to a DVD for future install.

So what do you think will be available or happen?

Thanks

:)

winxp, Jun 16, 2015

2. What will happen to your harddrive when you upgrade to windows 10?

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc), games and settings (ie. passwords, custom
    dictionary, application settings).

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for
    Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

You can also download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How
    to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

What do you think will happen when the final version is released? [​IMG]

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Wait while the scan prepares a report, when complete, you should see the following:

What do you think will happen when the final version is released? [​IMG]

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How
    to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 16, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    What will happen to your harddrive when you upgrade to windows 10?

The upgrade will not reformat your HDD.

but it is still recommended that you backup anything important before installing the upgrade.

Martmcd, Jun 16, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

Assuming you're updating from a qualifying edition of Windows 7 or 8.x, I think you will be able to:
    • Upgrade in-place to Windows 10 (this will leave a Windows.old folder behind) and let it activate.
    • Clean install Windows 10 on the same hardware - at this point I believe you can wipe everything if you want.
    From the Windows 10 FAQ:

DavidY, Jun 16, 2015
  5. Molyy Win User
    You need to upgrade from an eligible device, and once done, you can then blow that away and do a clean install.
    But not sure yet if that means you can do a reset using the Windows recovery tools, or if you can actually start with a new hard drive or ISO in order to do the clean install.

Molyy, Jun 17, 2015
  6. If your already running the TP It should be like going to a new build is now. You should keep everything.
    If your running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 it should be similar to doing the upgrade from the Insiders page is now.
    You might lose a program, depends on how old it is etc. Media Center if installed will be uninstalled.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What do you think will happen when the final version is released? - Similar Threads - happen final version

2. What do you think is wrong with my Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do you think is wrong with my Laptop: So it all starts about 2 months ago. Bought my self a used Clevo W170HN with Windows 10 Pro 19044 not Activated.Here are the specs : Intel i5 2540M 8GB ram 1600mhz ddr3 1TB HDD TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 Nvidia GT 540M 1GB vramHere are some of the issues: 1.On the Display you can see...
  3. What do you think is wrong with my Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do you think is wrong with my Laptop: So it all starts about 2 months ago. Bought my self a used Clevo W170HN with Windows 10 Pro 19044 not Activated.Here are the specs : Intel i5 2540M 8GB ram 1600mhz ddr3 1TB HDD TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 Nvidia GT 540M 1GB vramHere are some of the issues: 1.On the Display you can see...
  4. What do you think of these recommended apps?

What do you think of these recommended apps?: I've taken the recommendations I've collected from several articles and forums across the internets and submitted them to various websites for reactions. As is typical for the internet, not everyone agrees. Below is the current state of the list. Do you have any experience...
  5. What do you think, will MS fix the Windows Spotlight feature in the new version?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What do you think, will MS fix the Windows Spotlight feature in the new version?: The feature only intermittently worked for me, now defaulting to the mountain lake image for a couple of years. submitted by /u/x69pr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/grmfvx/what_do_you_think_will_ms_fix_the_windows/
  6. What happens, when you highlight filename?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happens, when you highlight filename?: Hello everyone I have my Windows in danish, so I hope, I use the correct terms and names. When I do the following with an image-file: 1) Right click – open with – Windows Picture app – right click on the motive – File information – out on the left, doube click on the file...
  7. What do you think of the hardware?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What do you think of the hardware?: HI! I started this thread is this a good deal - Windows 10 Forums but I think it is here better First what do you think of the harsware I got this laptop MSI GT83VR 7RF-206 Titan SLI - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews with the price 2800$ is this a good price for this...
  8. What do you think about ZHPCleaner?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What do you think about ZHPCleaner?: ZHPCleaner is another free French program for cleaning PUPs/Adware from your system. I usually run it alongside RKILL, MBAM. AdwClenaner, JRT, etc for having a different opinion. It seems to do a more thorough registry search than the others. Sometimes it points out leftover...
  9. What do you think Of Cortana so far ?

What do you think Of Cortana so far ?: Hi I hope Microsoft will have some updates to download to in prove Cortana on some of the stuffed I asked I would not open and send me on the Internet. I ask Cortana to open Device manager it wouldn't open it. Thank you 17867
  10. Clean Install/Reformat Once Final Version Is Released?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install/Reformat Once Final Version Is Released?: Hi everyone, I'm just wondering as googling didn't turn up much, but does anyone know if you go to the 10 tech preview, will you have to do a clean install/reformat once the final version is release? Or will you simply just 'upgrade' or 'update'. I've been unable to find...