Windows 10: What does Create a Recovery Drive do?

Discus and support What does Create a Recovery Drive do? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I'm not sure from the description what the create a recovery drive option does. Does this make a bootable repair disk, or USB drive, and does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeHawthorne, Oct 14, 2014.

1. What does Create a Recovery Drive do?

Hi

I'm not sure from the description what the create a recovery drive option does.

Does this make a bootable repair disk, or USB drive, and does it include the files to restore Windows on it or just a disk that lets you access Windows Recovery.

I guess I'm asking what is it that you end up with when you've completed the process?

What I'd like to see is a disk that would not only access recovery but have the files necessary to restore the computer without asking you to "Insert Windows Media Now!" the message that many people, who don't have installation material often get.

Mike

:)

MikeHawthorne, Oct 14, 2014

2. Recovery Drive Fail : Create a recovery drive fails in windows 10

I had this problem, too.

I took the following measures related to USB-drives:

• In Power Management: Disable Power save mode for USB devices (all!)
    • Some SD-Cards or alike have a Write-Protect switch. It should be set to OFF.
    • Use a SD-Card with a single drive adapter (No all-in-one) and plug the adapter to an USB 2.1 connector if it is does not explicitly supports USB 3.0 or 3.1
    With these precautions, all runs to create a recovery drive ended OK.

MS handles these functionality not very professional:

• The docs only show how to handle the software
    • The error messages show no precise information what has triggered the problem. E.g. MS simple says "A problem occurred .." When creating a recovery drive wit Akronis Backup using the same stick, the message was: "Your drive is write-protected." This is
      the difference between mediocrity and excellence.

Jörg Debus, Oct 14, 2014
  3. Recovery Drive Fail : Create a recovery drive fails in windows 10

I have exactly the same issue. I find it hard to believe that such an important feature of Windows 10 does not work, and Microsoft does not appear to be interested in addressing the problem. I will have to look into a 3rd party product I guess.

Mysetdancer, Oct 14, 2014
  4. Edwin New Member

What does Create a Recovery Drive do?

It creates media to reinstall the operating system, usually on an external hard drive or thumb drive.
    You have to boot to the recovery drive intentionally.
    I'm not sure what the end result is because I've never gone that route, but I'm guessing it would be the likes of a clean install.
    It most likely creates a recovery file to access in the system directory. (Super Hidden)

What does Create a Recovery Drive do? [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 15, 2014
  5. Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8

On an PC with a factory installed OEM copy of Windows 8.x, if you check the option to "copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" you can do a factory reset from the thumb drive. The factory image is copied to the drive. On my ASUS laptop I needed a 16 GB thumb drive. The normal Recovery drive will be a lot smaller and limited in what it can do. You'll be able to do stuff like a startup repair. If you try to do a Windows Refresh or Reset though you'll be prompted for your install media. Create one and see how big it is. If its only small, around 1 gig, you won't be able to install Windows with it.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2014
  6. wptski Win User
    Is there any difference in the end result or options compared to the ESD to ISO route other than being able to have a DVD instead? I've done both and don't think there is.

wptski, Nov 25, 2014
  7. usasma Win User
    I don't have an option for an ISO. Could you explain where you found it?

The smaller option (without the recovery partition) will give you a repair disk (see the sequence of screen shots that Edwin posted)
    The larger option (with the recovery partition) will allow you to reinstall the operating system (in addition to the repair disk functions)

usasma, Nov 26, 2014
  8. wptski Win User

Unless I'm missing something, slightly different route but both still have the same repair or WinRE options. I believe a downloaded full ISO burned DVD has the Repair OS option.

In this forum: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

wptski, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What does Create a Recovery Drive do? - Similar Threads - does Create Recovery

2. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  3. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  4. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  5. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  6. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a recovery drive: Warning: Use an empty USB drive because this process will erase any data that's already stored on the drive. can i add OTHER files to the USB after i complete the process or not ? ( W10) 177798
  8. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: I have been trying to create a recovery drive on 2 Dell laptops. The message I receive at the end is "we can't create the recovery drive" "a problem occurred while creating it." I am using 16gb flash drives. Please help....
  9. Create Recovery Drive

Create Recovery Drive: I'm trying to create a recovery drive. I followed all the instructions, but the process doesn't recognize the USB drive I inserted (three different ones). I put the USB in an empty port on the front of my PC. Does it need to go in a special port? Any ideas? Thanks....
  10. Create recovery drive

Create recovery drive: I am in the process of setting up my desktop following the directions at “How to set up Dell computer” (https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln127699/how-to-set-up-your-new-dell-computer?lang=en) Once the desktop loaded, I attempted to Create Recovery Media using...