Windows 10: What does ~ mean?

Discus and support What does ~ mean? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What does ~ mean in front of a file? Example: ~mydoc.xlsx Don Cole 76341 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Jan 31, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

What does ~ mean?

What does ~ mean in front of a file?

Example: ~mydoc.xlsx

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 31, 2017
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Jan 31, 2017
  3. what!?!? Win User
    XBOX Music Pass vs. Zune Pass - Xbox Music is bad for families, FAIL!!!

Agree with the idea of a family pass. Seems like it could work something like the family plan for cell phones. big expenses is the first two then a small amount for every family member after that.

I still have my original zune pass which allows 6 devices. I know what I pay for this. I looked on the xbox music site and can't find how many devices are allowed or the price. Does anyone have a link?

what!?!?, Jan 31, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

What does ~ mean?

Hi. The files you are describing are so-called owner files (sometimes referred to as "lock" files). An owner file is created when you work with a document in Word, and it should be deleted when you save your document and exit Word. Sometimes these files are left behind, for example if Word crashes, and you can delete them manually.

Source

swarfega, Jan 31, 2017
  5. doncole Win User
    doncole, Jan 31, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    A note: I use the tilde ~ in front of file names and even Folders to bring them to the top of the list of files in a Folder or Folders in the drive. It's usually "special" characters first followed by numbers followed by alphabet for indexing.

Berton, Jan 31, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    Absolutely! *Thumbs

Extremely handy for creating custom hierarchies in the Start Menu.

What does ~ mean? [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What does ~ mean?

1. What does ~ mean? - Similar Threads - does mean

2. What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...: Session "dc3a3596-71e1-45a3-b2ea-39ad5322fe51" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-kernel-pnp-warning-in-event-log/559adb98-d3fd-4eb9-bde4-9f57c3363737
  3. What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...: Session "dc3a3596-71e1-45a3-b2ea-39ad5322fe51" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-kernel-pnp-warning-in-event-log/559adb98-d3fd-4eb9-bde4-9f57c3363737
  4. What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?: I am getting an error when trying to make a master image, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' how do I resolve this...
  6. what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?: I am getting an error when trying to make a master image, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' how do I resolve this...
  7. what does, "failed to create image due to metadata errors in file system' error mean?

8. What does error code jo1wE3dNqU6vrzqE mean

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does error code jo1wE3dNqU6vrzqE mean: Every time I try to log in to purchase a realm on Minecraft I get a message saying “try again” with jo1wE3dNqU6vrzqE as an error code, what does it mean?...
  9. What does error code jo1wE3dNqU6vrzqE mean

What does error code jo1wE3dNqU6vrzqE mean: Every time I try to log in to purchase a realm on Minecraft I get a message saying “try again” with jo1wE3dNqU6vrzqE as an error code, what does it mean?...
  10. What does error code jo1wE3dNqU6vrzqE mean

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store