Windows 10: What happens if I don't want to upgrade from Win 10 Pro to Creators?

Discus and support What happens if I don't want to upgrade from Win 10 Pro to Creators? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My current system runs like a dream and I've been deferring/blocking creators edition ever since it was first announced. The only thing that would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Globespy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Globespy Win User

What happens if I don't want to upgrade from Win 10 Pro to Creators?

My current system runs like a dream and I've been deferring/blocking creators edition ever since it was first announced.
    The only thing that would make me consider Creators is the Windows Sonic/Atmos for Headphones.

But if I choose to just stay on Win 10 Pro build 1607, will I continue to receive Defender security updates? If not I could purchase a comprehensive security suite.
    Other than that there won't be any new features, which I don't care about anyway as I prefer stability over gimmicks.
    Or are there other serious ramifications to think about if I choose to stay on Win 10 Pro 1607?

Appreciate any and all replies.

:)

Globespy, Mar 3, 2018

2. What happens if I upgrade to Pro edition of Windows 10?

If you upgrade through either the Windows Store or use an existing Windows 10 Pro key with the Easy Upgrade wizard, your personal files will be preserved.

Store:

Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Go to store

Click the $99 button to make your purchase

Follow the on screen instructions

Your system will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro within 5 to 10 minutes, applications, personal files and settings preserved.

Using an existing key:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 3, 2018
  3. John Ado Win User
    What happens if I upgrade to Pro edition of Windows 10?

Hi George,

When you change the edition of the Windows 10 you are currently running, all your data should be intact. It will only install additional features that are exclusive to Windows 10 Pro. To do upgrade follow the guide in this

article

Let us know if you need further assistance.

John Ado, Mar 3, 2018
  4. Try3 Win User

The main reference you need to read is Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

You might also want to look over these
    Modern Lifecycle Policy
    Modern Lifecycle Policy FAQ

Once your version is no longer supported, there might be updates to Windows defender itself that prevent you applying updates to Windows defender malware definitions. But there is no way of knowing in advance if or when this might happen but it will not be before the 10th April 2018 end-of-support date given for Ver 1607.

Denis

Try3, Mar 3, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    It's actually very difficult to stay on 1607. KB4023814 helpfully(?) installs the Update Assistant on systems that are at 'end of service' and runs it regularly (and at every boot) to nag you into updating. You could try uninstalling the Update Assistant, but it will automatically reinstall itself.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4...stall-the-late

Bree, Mar 3, 2018
  6. lobo11 Win User
    Just unplug it from net

lobo11, Mar 8, 2018
  7. Rocky Win User
    To be more precise, it is Windows 10 Pro Creators Edition.

Rocky, Mar 9, 2018
  8. Steve C Win User

I have the very latest version of Windows 10 working on two 2006 PC. I would backup your Pc and try updating.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What happens if I don't want to upgrade from Win 10 Pro to Creators? - Similar Threads - happens don't upgrade

2. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  3. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  4. Upgrading from Win 10 Pro to Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading from Win 10 Pro to Win 11: HiAfter doing a PC health check to upgrade to win 11 I was told my pc cannot be upgraded due to the hardware installed. I have purchased a new motherboard, i5 CPU, hard drive and dimms to rebuild the pc to comply with win11 upgrade.Initially installed Win 7 Pro then free...
  5. I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.: I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Now EaseUS PartitionMaster Pro V7.01 brings up an alarm User Account Control and the app will not run....
  6. I DON'T WHAT HAPPENED?!!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I DON'T WHAT HAPPENED?!!?: So, I was just watching some videos on YouTube, then suddenly, it shows a screen that my PC ran into problems. For, a long time it was been nothing but a black screen for a long time. Now, there's a blue box that says "The selected boot device failed. Press enter to...
  7. Using Win 10 Home and want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro; What are problems?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using Win 10 Home and want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro; What are problems?: Using Win 10 Home and want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro; What are problems? I am concerned about losing one or more third party apps, or if I may lose any passwords, or even my Microsoft login/passwords. Anyone have other issues?...
  8. I don't want to reinstall Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I don't want to reinstall Win 10: Sooo... I recently purchased a new motherboard for my PC and, as you guessed, I want to replace the old one with the new one on my PC. I've never really done this kind of thing before but I heard that replacing motherboard requires Windows reinstallation. Considering how...
  9. Win 10 Creators Update Not Happening

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Creators Update Not Happening: My wife and I both have Dell Inspiron 5558 laptops, identically configured. When the Creators Update was scheduled to be released, I set both of them to metered connection to hold off on the update while I waited to see if there were going to be any major issues reported....
  10. What a mess upgrade to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What a mess upgrade to win 10 pro: I have three machines 2 with win 7 pro and one with win 8.1 pro, the 2 win pro have tried to upgrade to win 10 pro today ( I live in Europe) the HP DESKTOP HPE 1075 UK has tried to upgrade and has failed with the following error Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Installation...