Windows 10: what happens to system files when I'm upgrading win 7 to win10?

Discus and support what happens to system files when I'm upgrading win 7 to win10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm going to upgrading my win7 to 10 this weekend. All I've learnt is that the upgrading process is easy and won't do harm to existing data. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DwayneSalem, Sep 16, 2015.

1. what happens to system files when I'm upgrading win 7 to win10?

I'm going to upgrading my win7 to 10 this weekend. All I've learnt is that the upgrading process is easy and won't do harm to existing data.
    I'm wondering what happens to system partition while the upgrading process? Will old files be replaced? or new files will be added? or something else.

:)

DwayneSalem, Sep 16, 2015
  2. gjtvs Win User

What happens to programs on Win 7 when Win 10 is installed?

I'm not worried about my data, as I have several backups. However when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 (original version), I had to totally reinstall all programs. I didn't like WIn 8, so reverted back to Win 7. Again, I had to totally reinstall all programs
    (and restore data as well, both times). If I upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, will I need to reinstall all programs again? I have more programs than I care to reinstall again, so this is critical to whether or not I will upgrade. Thank you.

gjtvs, Sep 16, 2015
  3. What happens to programs on Win 7 when Win 10 is installed?

Hi,

Thank you for showing interest in Windows 10.

Microsoft have built Windows 10 in a very user friendly way. There are lots of new features included in Windows 10. All your programs will be there in your system even if you upgrade from your current Operating System to Windows 10.

For further reference you may refer to the following Microsoft Help article which contains all the information you are looking for.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

You can also refer to the following article for reference:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

Let us know if the information was helpful to you. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 16, 2015
  4. LMiller7 Win User

what happens to system files when I'm upgrading win 7 to win10?

All Windows 7 files will be replaced with Windows 10 versions.

While an in place upgrade does preserve your data you would do well to have a full backup of these files. You should always have a backup of all your important files, 2 or more backup copies for files of particular importance. Doing an OS upgrade makes this doubly important. There are too many opportunities for user error and for things to go wrong to be without a backup.

LMiller7, Sep 16, 2015
  5. When the upgrade succeeds, that is generally the case. But when it fails, and it DOES, anything can happen to your files and data. And if your Win7 PC is left in an unusable state (as was my HP laptop), you might have to use data recovery apps to get the files and folders off the drive, as the machine does not boot at all.

So, do a backup BEFORE the upgrade -- so you can get stuff back if needed later.

Mark Phelps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

what happens to system files when I'm upgrading win 7 to win10?

1. what happens to system files when I'm upgrading win 7 to win10? - Similar Threads - happens system files

2. Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore: Hi. I bought an ASUS pc with win10 a while back and it offered to upgrade to 11 during initial setup/startup. I was going to give it to a family member and want all my personal stuff removed. I thouight maybe reset would be easiest to remove everything but not sure what will...
  3. Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore: Hi. I bought an ASUS pc with win10 a while back and it offered to upgrade to 11 during initial setup/startup. I was going to give it to a family member and want all my personal stuff removed. I thouight maybe reset would be easiest to remove everything but not sure what will...
  4. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  5. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  6. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. What would happen to a file that was scanned to a Win 10 system if

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What would happen to a file that was scanned to a Win 10 system if: The scanner in use was still setup to use SMB 1 Years ago. I know Win 10 has discontinued normal support for SMB 1 in favor of SMB 2 or 3. I also know there is a place where the OLD setup to use SMB 1 can be added back if necessary. BUT: If the system in question was on a...
  8. failing HDD with Win10 on it upgraded from Win 7

failing HDD with Win10 on it upgraded from Win 7: HP PC originally with Window 7, upgraded to Windows 10 during free upgrade period. HDD is failing (HP error BIOHD-8) so need to replace HDD. How can I get legal copy of Windows 10 on new HDD? Thanks in advance....
  9. 7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS

7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS: Win7 works A-OK for me and I see no compelling reason (yet) to go to Win10. However, my Win7 system is old and by now my Registry & WINSXS directory are full of junk. I know that at some point, if I don't do a clean install of something, some bad things will start happening....
  10. Win 7 from scratch before Win10 upgrade?

Win 7 from scratch before Win10 upgrade?: Been a long time 5+ years since I reloaded windows. Is it better to reload it and go to Win10 or Just go to Win 10 and hope for the best.... Only problem is the browsers are running a little slow and have to be restarted Gary 45754