Windows 10: What happens when I reload a PC/"Reserve" Windows 10 free upgrades

Discus and support What happens when I reload a PC/"Reserve" Windows 10 free upgrades in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Two questions: 1) What happens when I reload my Windows 8 PC after the free upgrade expires? I have a Dell desktop that came with Windows 8 (or 8.1?)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sflesch, Jul 5, 2016.

1. sflesch Win User

What happens when I reload a PC/"Reserve" Windows 10 free upgrades

Two questions:
    1) What happens when I reload my Windows 8 PC after the free upgrade expires?
    I have a Dell desktop that came with Windows 8 (or 8.1?) home. I did the Win 10 upgrade and then used my Win 8. Pro upgrade key to upgrade to Win 10 Pro.
    I have created a Windows 10 ISO and I know the generic key (VK7JG...) is the one used. If I need to reload the PC after the free upgrade, will I be stuck with Windows 8 again or can I use the ISO and key to upgrade again? If not is there a way (short of a disk image) to make sure I can upgrade?

2) I have two Windows 7 licenses (Pro and Ultimate). Is there a way to reserve the Windows 10 upgrade with them, like for instance installing them on a virtual machine? This of course would tie into question 1 possibly if and when I need those installations. I could of course (depending on the virtual machine I think) convert them from p to v at some point as well. Any recommendations on which system (Virtual PC, VMWare, etc.) to use if that's the case?

:)

sflesch, Jul 5, 2016
  2. 93tid Win User

Lumia 635 unable to utilise text messaging after update

The upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile is and always will be free of charge regardless of how many times you do it. Do not confuse with Windows 10 for PC.

93tid, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Alaska789 Win User
    I need help with windows 10 upgrade

I wasn't able to reserve last week. Is there any way I could get the free upgrade for windows 10? I tried using the media tool 64 bit but it only shows "something happened" whenever I click "upgrade this PC".

Alaska789, Jul 5, 2016
  4. What happens when I reload a PC/"Reserve" Windows 10 free upgrades

If you've done the free upgrade, that PC should now have a digital entitlement for Windows 10. Go to Settings > Updates & security > Activation. It will tell you there. If it has a digital entitlement you can clean install/reinstall Windows 10 any time you want (even after the offer expires) and activate with the digital entitlement. Just install the same version that's installed now, and click skip when asked for a key.

I can't help you with the VM part.

alphanumeric, Jul 5, 2016
  5. sflesch Win User
    Thanks, so does that mean they have some kind of database that has our HAL information and to check with for future reloads? How else would they know it was ok?

sflesch, Jul 5, 2016
  6. It pretty close to how its always been. A digital fingerprint if you will of your hardware is created when you activate. A hardware ID. It's stored on the activation server. When you reinstall and go to activate, the activation server looks for a matching digital ID for your PC. If one is found, it activates. If it doesn't match, it won't activate. In the past this was also tied to the product code used to activate. Now, with a digital entitlement it isn't. The digital entitlement uses a generic key. Installing with that key will not activate if there is no digital entitlement on record for that PC. If you do upgrades to your hardware the ID gets updated to match. Like in the past, you can pretty well swap out anything except the motherboard and not have activation fail. Just don't change to many things all at once.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-10-activation

alphanumeric, Jul 5, 2016
  7. sflesch Win User
    Thanks, so installing the unused Windows 7 licenses on a Virtual PC/VMWare/etc. and upgrading would not really do me any good. *Sad

At least I know how the system works. I know in the past when I've reinstalled an OS a few times (replaced the hardware and activated it again) I have had to basically click a box (and once or twice call) to say that I am only using the license on one PC. I wonder if they would go for something similar so I could use those licenses...

sflesch, Jul 6, 2016
  8. What happens when I reload a PC/"Reserve" Windows 10 free upgrades

I don't do anything Virtual PC wise. I just never bothered to try it. In the true spirit of the free offer, I don't think Microsoft intended it to be done on VM's. I'm not judging, just my opinion. I have no idea if it will work, or be worth all the effort. Just my 2 cents.

alphanumeric, Jul 6, 2016
  9. sflesch Win User
    That's fair enough.

sflesch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What happens when I reload a PC/"Reserve" Windows 10 free upgrades

1. What happens when I reload a PC/"Reserve" Windows 10 free upgrades - Similar Threads - happens reload Reserve

2. What will happen To the Apps Came with the PC When I Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What will happen To the Apps Came with the PC When I Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a doubt, What will happen to the apps pre-installed In my pc when I upgrade to Windows 11.I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3505, In windows update settings It is showing that ' This PC Can Run windows 11. When i Upgrade to windows 11, what will happen to the apps came with...
  3. What will happen To the Apps Came with the PC When I Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What will happen To the Apps Came with the PC When I Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a doubt, What will happen to the apps pre-installed In my pc when I upgrade to Windows 11.I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3505, In windows update settings It is showing that ' This PC Can Run windows 11. When i Upgrade to windows 11, what will happen to the apps came with...
  4. What will happen To the Apps Came with the PC When I Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reload of the free windows 10 home

Reload of the free windows 10 home: I need to re download the free windows 10 home. where is the link to download the free windows 10 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reload-of-the-free-windows-10-home/7416e7bd-dbec-4256-a30b-caafd525ed66
  6. window 10 reloads when I power on PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    window 10 reloads when I power on PC: When I power on my PC window 10 reloads. What can I do to correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-reloads-when-i-power-on-pc/f8454cb6-52d8-432e-b417-f0b3d986f6ea
  7. Reserve Free Windows 10 Upgrade

Reserve Free Windows 10 Upgrade: This morning before going to work(05:45 my time) a Windows icon showed up in my system tray(on my Windows 8.1 desktop). I'm being offered to reserve Windows 10!!!! I just got back from work took a closer look and accepted. Here's a couple of screenshots: Attachment...
  8. Thanks for reserving your free upgrade

Thanks for reserving your free upgrade: Hello, I have a problem in that I have reserved my free windows 10 upgrade, BUT for some reason which I certainly don't I am unable to upgrade, it keeps say that we're validating windows 10 for your pc, we recommend that you update after you get your notification, well I...
  9. What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

in Windows 10 News
    What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?: sdfsdfasdf [This article has been significantly revised and updated since its original publication. in January 2016] Microsoft's ambitious plan to get Windows 10 running on a billion devices within the next few years depends to a large extent on the success of its...
  10. What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?

in Windows 10 Support
    What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?: Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know. 8167