Windows 10: What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro

Discus and support What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home through the usual method, but I wanted to clean install, so I used Microsofts tool for creating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cartilpone, Sep 12, 2015.

1. What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro

I upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home through the usual method, but I wanted to clean install, so I used Microsofts tool for creating install media and made a windows home usb stick and clean installed from that. Activation worked automatically as expected and I've been using w10 ever since quite happily, though I really do think I'd prefer to have pro on the computer.

I see right now I can only upgrade to pro through the store app (as a side question will there ever be a retail pro pack available like there was for Windows 8? Only it tends to be cheaper than buying directly from Microsoft). If I upgrade to pro, what happens exactly if I ever need to reinstall the OS?

Do I just use the existing 10 home usb media I made and then download the pro pack again from the store (presumably it'd be free since I'd already bought it), or can I just create a new usb media with the pro version of 10 instead and install it that way?

:)

cartilpone, Sep 12, 2015
  2. neilpzz Win User

2 Issues driving me up a wall!

OK. I don't know what's happening when you upgrade to Pro.

The ISO will contain both Home and Pro, did you have Windows 8 Home previously on the device. That might be why you get Home installed as it is reading the licence from the bios when you carry out the clean install.

neilpzz, Sep 12, 2015
  3. Lost Windows 10 Product key

Did you install the same version it was previously activated with? If it was Home, and you install Pro, it will fail activation. And vice versa. The fee upgrade gives you a digital entitlement with a generic key. If you clean install the same version you
    got via the free upgrade and do a skip key, it should reactivate with the digital entitlement and that same generic key. What version of Windows did you upgrade from originally, be specific, home, pro, Ultimate etc. And what version of 10 did you install,
    Home or Pro?

Kerry Waterfield, Sep 12, 2015
  4. What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro

Hi have you got the link for upgrade to windows 10 pro please also cant find it in store

hTconeM9user, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Not a link unfortunately, it's hidden away somewhere when you're just browsing it. You have to access it from Settings.

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Start>Settings>Update & security>Activation

Then click on the "Go to Store" button on the right. It should take you straight to it.

cartilpone, Sep 12, 2015
  6. thank you found it looks good give me something to think about

hTconeM9user, Sep 12, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is a full OEM Windows 10 Pro for the same price:
    Windows 10 Pro - 1 license - Email Delivered - 1PC - WiseCompTech

If you got the upgrade from the Windows Store, I would imagine you could use showkey (from this forum) to get the product key for it. I would think you could just do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro (after your upgrade activates of course) and it would activate without a key on that computer. You can call Microsoft and try to get an answer from them.

NavyLCDR, Sep 12, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro

Why clean install when he already has a working Home edition?

Be nice to know how long it take to do the Pro upgrade via the store as opposed to a normal upgrade or clean install.

Ztruker, Sep 13, 2015
  9. tinmar49 Win User
    Iv'e looked at Wikipedia for W10 and the pro version may have advantages for business users but not much for the rest of us.

tinmar49, Sep 13, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro

1. What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro - Similar Threads - happens clean install

2. What happens when you change accounts on PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens when you change accounts on PC?: So recently my Microsoft account was hacked into and credentials were changed. Ive been in talks with the Cyber Division and they had me make a new account and "transferred" gave for free to replace my Microsoft Office 2021. They basically said they couldnt go back into the...
  3. What happens when you change accounts on PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happens when you change accounts on PC?: So recently my Microsoft account was hacked into and credentials were changed. Ive been in talks with the Cyber Division and they had me make a new account and "transferred" gave for free to replace my Microsoft Office 2021. They basically said they couldnt go back into the...
  4. What happens when you change accounts on PC?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. What Happens to Other Drives When a clean installation is done

in Windows 10 Customization
    What Happens to Other Drives When a clean installation is done: Hi, I am using a windows 10 pro 32 bit architecture pc.My pc had become so slow these days so i thought to do a clean installation.But i have few important files in other disks like that of the photo uploaded.I have a doubt if the data in disk other than the system reserved...
  6. What happens, when you highlight filename?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happens, when you highlight filename?: Hello everyone I have my Windows in danish, so I hope, I use the correct terms and names. When I do the following with an image-file: 1) Right click – open with – Windows Picture app – right click on the motive – File information – out on the left, doube click on the file...
  7. What happens when you reset Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What happens when you reset Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 offers an in-built feature which allows you to reset Windows 10. This feature comes in handy on many occasions, but have you wondered what happens when you reset Windows 10? In this guide, we will share all the details [...] This post What happens...
  8. What happens when you disable/uninstall OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Support
    What happens when you disable/uninstall OneDrive?: I know how to disable OneDrive but wonder what will take its place in the defaults for Word, Excel and Oulook's PST files among many other apps. Thanks. 122819
  9. What happens when you close an email account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happens when you close an email account: Hi, so im looking to close my yahoo mail account, yahoo says that after 30 days someone else can take my yahoo mail email address if they want. Chances of that happnening are slim to none. But if someone ever did would they start getting my emails from people or companies...
  10. Upgrade or clean install - what do you use?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade or clean install - what do you use?: After my upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 I was very happy with the new OS on my Acer Aspire M3920 desktop. Everything worked perfect, no hardware or software problems at all. Then I read on several tech forums that many or mayby most people did prefer a clean install of...