Windows 10: What hardware changes break Windows 10, and how do you reactivate?

Discus and support What hardware changes break Windows 10, and how do you reactivate? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello people of TenForums! Im new here, so I hope this is the right place to post this in ;p Anyway, Im planning a new budget PC build, with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DiyFTW, Jan 21, 2017.

1. DiyFTW Win User

What hardware changes break Windows 10, and how do you reactivate?

Hello people of TenForums! Im new here, so I hope this is the right place to post this in ;p

Anyway, Im planning a new budget PC build, with plans to upgrade things like the CPU and GPU a few months after I build it (After I save up some more cash). I read that motherboard changes break basically any Windows install, but what other changes would classify the PC as a "new device", and how would I reactivate Windows 10 if one hardware change deactivates windows? (I plan on getting a retail version, not OEM, just so you know).

(In case anyone asks, I plan on upgrading the i3-6100 I am immediately grabbing with a used i5-6500 or mabye even a i5-7500, if I can afford it, and adding a GTX 1050 ti or RX 470, whichever I can afford then.)

:)

DiyFTW, Jan 21, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User
    Time Lady, Jan 21, 2017
  3. please what is and how do you fix error 0x8000FFFF?

Please try the steps recommended below to uninstall printer software

Press Windows key + X, click Apps & Features or Programs and Features

Select your Dell printer.

Select Uninstall.

Press Windows key + R, type control, hit Enter

Open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your Dell Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for Dell Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Proceed to reinstall the driver.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/produ...

Please keep in mind, only Windows 7 and earlier drivers are available...

Press Windows key + X

Type: control printers

Hit Enter

Click Add printer

Click 'The printer what I want isn't listed'

Select 'Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings'

Select 'Use an existing port'

Click Next

Under Manufacturer, scroll down then select Dell

Over the right hand side, scroll down through the list and look for your printer model.

If you don't see it, click Windows Update and wait while Windows Update checks for the printer.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 21, 2017
  4. What hardware changes break Windows 10, and how do you reactivate?

If your logged in with a Microsoft Account, your Digital License will be linked to it. When activation fails, there will be a "Activation troubleshooter" option shown on the System page. You just click that.
    Activation Troubleshooter - Use in Windows 10
    Microsoft doesn't give specifics on what will trigger it. I'd just wait and see if it happens, then deal with it.

alphanumeric, Jan 21, 2017
  5. DiyFTW Win User
    Thank you. I did not know that existed, that will be very helpful.

DiyFTW, Jan 23, 2017
  6. I have been going through this issue and have been using the activation troubleshooter, even spoken to microsoft support, all to no avail. Microsoft up to now have insisted i buy a fresh copy of windows 10. still trying to get help from microsoft but they seem un willing to help.

SchrodingersCat, Jan 30, 2017
  7. What hardware did you swap and why? Was the original install the free upgrade to Windows 10 from another OS?

alphanumeric, Jan 30, 2017
  8. What hardware changes break Windows 10, and how do you reactivate?

the original motherboard died, i originally installed windows 10 but activating with a unused retail windows 8.1 key .

9. Ok, so it was the free upgrade. IMHO, that install is not transferable. The Windows 10 free upgrade is free for the life of the device. When the device dies, that license dies with it. It appears Microsoft thinks so to. Others will disagree with me but that's my opinion on the matter.
    One thing you could try is reinstall Windows 8.1 with the 8.1 Retail key. You are entitled to do that. Make sure its activated, then upgrade to Windows 10. Last I heard Digital Licenses were still being given out. If so you may get a new DL for that motherboard. If that happens, from then on you can clean install Windows 10 with the skip key option and it will activate with the new DL optioned from the upgrade.

alphanumeric, Jan 30, 2017
  10. thanks for the reply, is so confusing, i have seen so many different opinions
    Twitter

11. Superfly Win User
    A new key has no effect... transferring a digital licence does... CPU has a huge activation count less so GPU.. combined not enough to break DL tho' (as opposed to mobo that will require an MSA transfer)

A Win 8.1 retail key should activate Win 10 (of the same edition) on new hardware. Post in the activation thread and we'll see what's up.

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

What hardware changes break Windows 10, and how do you reactivate?

1. What hardware changes break Windows 10, and how do you reactivate? - Similar Threads - hardware changes break

2. How to reactivate Windows after Hardware change?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to reactivate Windows after Hardware change?: I had Windows 10 Pro Education on my computer, I replaced the hard drive and I can't get it to reactivate my windows. This is getting ridiculous. I have tried everything I know and even researched some ideas. Please help....
  3. How to reactivate Windows after Hardware change?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reactivate Windows after Hardware change?: I had Windows 10 Pro Education on my computer, I replaced the hard drive and I can't get it to reactivate my windows. This is getting ridiculous. I have tried everything I know and even researched some ideas. Please help....
  4. How to reactivate Windows after Hardware change?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to reactivate windows 10 after major hardware changes?

How to reactivate windows 10 after major hardware changes?: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020 OS build 19045.3448 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19044.1000.0 Hi, above info is of my OS which is installed on my desktop. My cpu is i5 4670k which is not supported by windows 11 so i cant...
  6. How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change: Its been a year since my Windows deactivated since I changed my motherboard. Im trying to reactivate it but whenever I press troubleshoot nothing pops up telling me the issue. How do i fix this?...
  7. How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change: Its been a year since my Windows deactivated since I changed my motherboard. Im trying to reactivate it but whenever I press troubleshoot nothing pops up telling me the issue. How do i fix this?...
  8. How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Change of hardware reactivation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change of hardware reactivation: Here is my situation -Many moons ago I built my own computer -I installed Windows 8/8.1 on it and activated it with a legitimately purchased retail product key. I no longer have access to this product key. -In the free upgrade period I updated to windows 10 -I have a...
  10. Hardware Change Reactivation

Hardware Change Reactivation: Hello All, I know there are multiple threads out there for this already but I think this is different, so if y'all know of a place that has the answer, then my apologies... Anyway, I just change out some hardware and when I booted up I got hit with the little watermark...