Windows 10: What Has My File Folder Open -- Not Me! Trying To Rename Folders

Discus and support What Has My File Folder Open -- Not Me! Trying To Rename Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am really new to 10 and am slowly trying to get it figured out! Today I'm attempting to rename some file folders and every time I try a message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rkclark, Mar 25, 2018.

1. rkclark Win User

What Has My File Folder Open -- Not Me! Trying To Rename Folders

I am really new to 10 and am slowly trying to get it figured out!

Today I'm attempting to rename some file folders and every time I try a message opens saying that file (folder) is open in another program. What program has it open, how do I find out or can I and why is this happening?

Lastly, how do I rename the folders I want to rename? *Huh

Thanx for any help! *Smile

:)

rkclark, Mar 25, 2018

2. Unable to create a new folder or rename a folder

When I open my Quick Access File Explorer and open a current file folder it will not allow me to rename the folder nor will it allow me to create a new folder. If I click on "New Folder" it just goes to hour glass forever and I have to kill it and similarly
    does it when I try to rename an existing folder. What I have to do is open the folder up, save as a different name, and leave it in the general file area as I cannot make a new file to put it in.

edverlanic, Mar 25, 2018
  3. Renaming local files and folders issue

When I try to rename a folder or file in my local drive on my laptop (in Windows explorer), Windows allows me to rename the folder or file. The issue is that it gives me an inconsistent amount of time to rename the folder or file. Sometimes it will give
    me 5 seconds to rename it or 2 seconds, but it never works properly (no time limit). Does anyone know of a fix?

*I am on the Windows 10 anniversary update

destructor1022, Mar 25, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Hi rkclark and welcome to Tenforums.
    You can right-click any file or folder and select RENAME in the dialogue box that pops up. If you have something open, it can't perform the name change. Even if everything is closed, but you have a backup running, and the backup program may be accessing a file, and you will not be able to rename it. You can see what programs are running by right-clicking on an empty area in the taskbar, and selecting Task Manager.

simrick, Mar 26, 2018
  5. rkclark Win User
    Right, I understand how to rename a file folder and files and I understand if that particular file or folder is open the renaming cannot be done. In the instances I talked about to my knowledge and after searching that or those particular files or folders were not open. I didn't open them so I didn't know where to look to see what had them open. I'd never encountered that, not being able to rename a file or folder because it was open elsewhere, in Windows 7.

I did learn though that right-clicking on an empty space on the task bar it will bring up Task Manager. That's great to know!

Thanks so much for your help!

rkclark, Mar 26, 2018
  6. simrick Win User
    Next time it happens, try signing out of your user account, and then signing back in - see if that doesn't release whatever it is that's got a hold of your file/folder.

You can right-click the start button, and select Shutdown or Signout>Signout, then log back in and see if you can make the name change.

simrick, Mar 27, 2018
  7. rkclark Win User
    Thank you again! *Smile

rkclark, Mar 27, 2018
  8. What Has My File Folder Open -- Not Me! Trying To Rename Folders

Get Lock Hunter. It's free. It will tell you what program is locking a file. (The result is often surprising.)

margrave55, Mar 27, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    I agree with Margrave about LockHunter. And FWIW, File Assassin (from MalwareBytes) is also good as well. If you can figure out what's locking files or folders, you're one big step toward fixing the problem.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 27, 2018
  10. rkclark Win User
    Thanx! I'll give it try!

rkclark, Mar 28, 2018
  11. rkclark Win User
    Thanx, so many choices!!

Here's one I came across, Unlocker. It lets you rename files that are locked. I tried it and it unlocked all the files but one and said it would be unlocked or unblocked at next reboot and it was.

I want to try the Lock Hunter one to see what's locking my files!

Thanx again! *Smile

rkclark, Mar 28, 2018
  12. Stanlish Win User
    >>Edited: It turns out this didn't work. It did at first but the problem remains...
    I can't figure out how to delete this post, only edit.<<

I have fixed this problem (finally!) ...I hope.Turn off Sharing.
    Go to Settings>Network and Internet. From here, under Settings, select "Sharing Options". Here you can "Turn Off Network Discovery."
    I think some little "piece" was being held on to in order to be ready to share.(My kindergarten level understanding and explanation)

Btw, I used Lock Hunter and found that the folder(s) was(were) being locked by 'explorer.exe': That's fine and dandy...and it IS probably the program locking it, but the permission or whatever that instructs explorer to do this is the real problem, I think. Explorer.exe is not something for the novice (like me) to mess with.

Stanlish, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What Has My File Folder Open -- Not Me! Trying To Rename Folders - Similar Threads - Has File Folder

2. How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?: I am trying to rename a folder, but receive an error message that a file or folder is open.I rebooted already twice.How can I find what is holding the folder?Thanks,Efrat...
  3. How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?: I am trying to rename a folder, but receive an error message that a file or folder is open.I rebooted already twice.How can I find what is holding the folder?Thanks,Efrat...
  4. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  5. Renaming folders and files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming folders and files: File folders and documents won't rename without refreshing. New folder won't appear without refreshing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-folders-and-files/d173a7c3-230a-4a92-b71b-bb8308c3730d
  6. unable to rename any file or folder showing me file or folder does not exist

unable to rename any file or folder showing me file or folder does not exist: I'm unable to rename my file or folder in window 10 every time I'm getting a message like "the file or folder does not exist" please help me ASAP!!...
  7. Trying to rename a file in the "WindowsApps" folder

Trying to rename a file in the "WindowsApps" folder: Hi, Apologies if this has been answered previously, but I couldn't find an answer using Google! I am trying to apply a couple of mods for the game "State of Decay 2", which is located in the WindowsApps folder. Before I replace any files etc, I've always found it good...
  8. Windows has renamed files and folders into another language

Windows has renamed files and folders into another language: I have recently purchased a new computer and when buying it I always reset to get a fresh install. The issue is that it keeps re-naming folders in my one drive and my pc into what looks like Dutch. 6 years ago I used a computer I bought in the Nederlands that I used for two...
  9. Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders

Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders: Hi, I have a client who uses offline files on a laptop and has Windows 10, version 1803. He is not able to rename any of the files or folders under his redirected Users folder, which is set to use offline files. I have checked permissions and there are no issues there....
  10. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...