Windows 10: What is a clean install

Discus and support What is a clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I plan to buy W 10 when it comes out if it is not outrageously expensive. I will put it on my laptop which was originally W 8, then updated to W 8.1. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Emma, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Emma Win User

What is a clean install

I plan to buy W 10 when it comes out if it is not outrageously expensive. I will put it on my laptop which was originally W 8, then updated to W 8.1. I need to know how to prep the laptop. I keep seeing a "clean install" and do not know what that means. I can reformat it if necessary, but that would put it back to W8.

I just googled the question and it sounds like I will get an option after starting the installation. Am I right?

:)

2. What is a "Clean Install" for Win10?

A clean install erases the hard disk.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Andre Da Costa, Jan 19, 2015
  3. D.O._646 Win User
    What is a "Clean Install" for Win10?

Original Title: Clean Install??

Hello, What is a "Clean Install" for Win10? Can I get, or make, a CD with just the Win 10 OS without all the add-ons and **** that comes with other versions? ie get rid of Bing McAfee and other "apps" that are totally useless for me. D.

D.O._646, Jan 19, 2015
  4. Vladimir Win User

What is a clean install

Clean install is when you boot from the install media and format a selected partition/drive. You'll still be able to upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10, but I personally always prefer a fresh install.

Vladimir, Jan 19, 2015
  5. Emma Win User
    And what do you mean by fresh install?

6. Vladimir Win User
    Fresh = Clean

*Smile

Vladimir, Jan 19, 2015
  7. Emma Win User
    Thanks, sorry for the dumb question, the terminology used here is like a foreign language to me. I have googled for a lot of definitions since I found this forum. None of my women friends understand me when I talk computer. They think I am techy and I just let them think that. *Wink But I am not on the level you all are.

8. BunnyJ New Member

What is a clean install

A clean install is where you take the ISO for Win10 or any copy of windows and wipe the hard drive clean and install the OS from the ISO. Here's how you do it:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 19, 2015
  9. Emma Win User
    That is for a W 10 Technical Preview, I am thinking about the finished product that will be released to the public. Is it the same? Will I be able just to install over my W 8.1 without prep work.

10. BunnyJ New Member
    It works the same way for any version of windows..well I've done it from Win7 on. An instillation over Win8.1 would be an update and that might be what you want to do if you don't want to install all of your programs/apps again. But, you can perform a clean install and wipe Win8.1 off of your PC.

BunnyJ, Jan 19, 2015
  11. Emma Win User
    I want to be sure my reformat disk will work after upgrade. Reformatting has save me a lot of money when I can't fix my problem.

12. Saltgrass Win User
    My thought of a clean install is to have access to bootable install media and during the install, remove the Critical Partitions prior to installing the new OS.

What are Critical Partitions, the ones necessary for the OS to operate, such as the OS and any Recovery, System, or MSR ones usually at the front of the Hard Drive. If you are not sure, ask before deleting any of these.

You might want to keep in mind some of the problems encountered during the 8 to 8.1 upgrade in that folks purchasing the OS from the Microsoft Store did not have access to the install files in order to Refresh their 8.1 system back to 8.1.

Another 8 to 8.1 upgrade problem was that some OEM configurations were not compatible with recovering those systems back to Windows 8. Since the install files were not available, some folks saw substantial problems getting their system operational after some type of Recovery event took place.

My best advice to you would be to find out if the Windows 10 install files will be available to you in case problems arise. Then wait about two weeks after the OS is released and come back to the forum to see what type of problems folks are seeing.

We may get some clarification tomorrow as to how the Windows 10 rollout will happen. But it will be an evolving process and may change in the months building to the final release.

Saltgrass, Jan 19, 2015
  13. Emma Win User

What is a clean install

Thanks Bunny and Saltgrass. Finally I understand. I did upgrade from W8 to 8.1 from the store for free without any prep or problems. I do not want to completely wipe out 8, not sure if my reformatting disks would work if I did not like W 10. I look forward to trying it out, but will wait as Saltgrass recommended. I am hoping I can buy a CD instead of downloading it. I like hard copies.

14. rvbfan Win User
    How else do you learn?

rvbfan, Jan 19, 2015
  15. meebers Win User
    If you have not already, make a clone or an image of your hard drive as it now exists. (I make 2) If you decide to upgrade or do a clean install of W10 and for what ever reason it does not go well or you do not like it, you can restore your clone or image and you will be back to where you began.

meebers, Jan 19, 2015
Thema:

What is a clean install

1. What is a clean install - Similar Threads - clean install

2. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa: Hello,To say I am beyond frustrated with Windows Update is an understatement and I know I'm not alone from my research! Now that I got that out of the way...A couple days ago, my leading brand antivirus solution decided to error on an update which took out my previous Windows...
  3. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa: Hello,To say I am beyond frustrated with Windows Update is an understatement and I know I'm not alone from my research! Now that I got that out of the way...A couple days ago, my leading brand antivirus solution decided to error on an update which took out my previous Windows...
  4. Update fails on clean install of Windows 10 Home 0x80080005 & 0xc80003fa

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.: A few days ago, my laptop updated, but then failed to load windows. It cycled twice with a message saying failed to and windows was collecting some details. The third time it took me to a recovery menu. None of the the repair or rollback options worked. In order to use a...
  6. Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.

Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.: A few days ago, my laptop updated, but then failed to load windows. It cycled twice with a message saying failed to and windows was collecting some details. The third time it took me to a recovery menu. None of the the repair or rollback options worked. In order to use a...
  7. Windows update keeps failing, even after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Dell Latitude. Can't Clean-Install because of "AHCI" and "RAID" complications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Latitude. Can't Clean-Install because of "AHCI" and "RAID" complications.: I'm trying to Clean-Install Windows 11 onto my laptop. Apparently, there's some obstacle that prevents certain laptops--like this Dell Latitude 7430--from Clean-Installing, something to do with "AHCI" and "RAID" modes in the BIOS. According to this thread on the Dell forum,...
  9. Dell Latitude. Can't Clean-Install because of "AHCI" and "RAID" complications.

Dell Latitude. Can't Clean-Install because of "AHCI" and "RAID" complications.: I'm trying to Clean-Install Windows 11 onto my laptop. Apparently, there's some obstacle that prevents certain laptops--like this Dell Latitude 7430--from Clean-Installing, something to do with "AHCI" and "RAID" modes in the BIOS. According to this thread on the Dell forum,...
  10. "MRB", "EFI" and "GPT" problem when trying to Clean-Install W11 onto my Dell laptop.

"MRB", "EFI" and "GPT" problem when trying to Clean-Install W11 onto my Dell laptop.: I encountered this problem when trying to Clean-Install Windows 11 to my Dell Latitude 7430 laptop today, please see all three attached pictures. From what I can gather from google it looks like it could have something to do with the "Boot Sequence" or "Boot Mode" of the...