Windows 10: What is -- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Feature

Discus and support What is -- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Feature in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am running W10 and in the Control Panel there is an application called Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I played with it to see exactly what it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jerrythesurfer, Sep 18, 2015.

1. What is -- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Feature

I am running W10 and in the Control Panel there is an application called Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I played with it to see exactly what it was doing and I'm not sure and was hoping someone here may know what it is all about.

Firstly, why is it called (Windows 7)? Is it left over and will it soon go away?

Anyway the features seems to backup Libraries and folders of your choice. It is not like File History as it does not keep versions, but only a backup of the latest version of your files. What it also seems to do is create a "System Image". I assume that "System Image" is to re-image your W10 should it get terribly corrupt.

Can anyone here verify any of this?

Thanks

:)

Jerrythesurfer, Sep 18, 2015
  2. graye Win User

Properties say I'm running Windows 8 ...

...exactly.... and it doesn't mean that this feature will somehow revert your PC back to Win7

graye, Sep 18, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows 10 Backup

No, my friend. The problem you are having is that Microsoft, being Microsoft, muddies the waters by giving features confusing names and then putting a link for Windows System Image to the Control Panel for Windows
    10 Backup and Restore (Windows 7), which was an unfortunate choice on their part.

The description of Windows 10 Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is on

this page on Microsoft's website
    :

"If you used Backup and Restore to back up files or create system image backups in previous versions of Windows, your old backup is still available in Windows 10. To get to it, right-click the
    Start button, and then select Control Panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7)."

To put a finer point on it, Windows 7 had a feature called Backup and Restore in Control Panel. Windows 7 is what Microsoft is referring to when it talks about "previous versions of Windows" above. That's why they wrote (Windows 7) in parentheses.

Then, to make things worse, Microsoft also uses the name "Backup and Restore" to refer to File History, as described
    here.

Regardless of what Microsoft calls it, there are three separate utilities:

Windows 10 Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - for restoring backups made in Windows 7

File History - a form of file-and-folder backup

Windows System Image - a basic disc imaging utility.

Windows 10 Backup and Restore (Windows 7) was not stripped of all its code except for what's needed to restore old backups. That would take re-coding and testing and more re-coding and more testing -
    not worth the effort for a feature that you're deprecating. So the code to make backups is still there, but it's not supported. So it's still possible to make backups, but if you run into problems there may not be a fix, and succeeding Windows Updates may
    eventually break W10B&RW7 completely.

BulldogXX, Sep 18, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

What is -- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Feature

dalchina, Sep 19, 2015
  5. Thanks but that does not really say too much about exactly what it does, how or when to use. it.

Jerrythesurfer, Sep 19, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

What is -- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Feature

1. What is -- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Feature - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Feature

2. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: HiMy Windows is 11 x64 latest version, When I want use Backup and Restore Windows 7, my Drive F: is also selected by default to backup and I can not deselect it why this happed?! I want just backup my drive C: because the backup size is too large with drivce F:...
  3. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: Why does Control Panel Backup and Restore show Windows 7?. I have a desktop with Windows 11 and Microsoft. Am I going to have a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7/ffb8d8b9-02e6-40fa-9373-25dd94f803bb
  4. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  5. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  6. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows 7 backup & restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 backup & restore: Why do you use Windows 7 for backup & restore? 7 seems so out of date and I'm having a problem with it reading the Flash drive in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backup-restore/188f750b-188d-435d-af8f-159f500286db
  8. Windows 7 backup/restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 backup/restore: I use this backup option on weekdays. Unfortunately the app does not allow skipping weekend days. Is there a way to automatically limit backups to weekdays? Thanks for any help....
  9. Windows 10/7 Backup and Restore Feature

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10/7 Backup and Restore Feature: I created a video of how I make my System Image Backup of Windows 10 version 1803. This video pertains to all versions of Windows 7 and Windows 10 to-date. Soon we will see Windows 10 version 1809 and the same feature will exist. I do not like to use Set up Backup. I prefer...
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...