Windows 10: What is best, Repair or Reinstall version 1709...

Discus and support What is best, Repair or Reinstall version 1709... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Running windows 10 - 64 bit I've been trying to repair all the stuff that windows update caused. Every time I turn around I find a new problem and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Raner, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Raner Win User

What is best, Repair or Reinstall version 1709...

Running windows 10 - 64 bit
    I've been trying to repair all the stuff that windows update caused.
    Every time I turn around I find a new problem and problems and more problems.
    The first update attempt froze at 33 percent. The second update attempt installed but looks like
    it did not do a good job.
    It would take me all day to type what is messed up.*Tongue Out
    I'm thinking of doing a reinstall keeping all my personal files and settings.
    Or getting an ISO and try to do a repair.
    Which would be the way to go...Thanks...

:)

Raner, Nov 22, 2017

2. What Is The Best Way To Reinstall All Apps From Previous Win10 Install?

That's not a bad idea as far as it goes.

I'd be hopeful that someday there'd be an app that will access the old registry and incorporate the appropriate parts into the new hard drive registry to allow functioning of installed apps - and, of course, copy over the appropriate install directories,
    data directories, log files, whatever...

It'd be interesting to know what sort of task that'd be. Wonder if it has ever been done?

Might take a look at the Unix world, see if they do it. It wouldn't help me here now but just for interest....

arthurbrogard, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Tom-803 Win User
    what is the best way to reinstall Window Store ?

OK -downloaded reinstall Zip to desktop. #2 elevated PS window, where is this located? I can get to Admin PS by Right click on start then click on it and I get account control click yes to proceed. #3 Navigate to script download with what? PowerShell
    or ?? I tried entering your example ,just got error with PS. Need clarity on #3. #4 if I get #3 going maybe I will understand "Temp Allow" in #4 If I get it to work I will go for reinstall ALL apps

Tom-803, Nov 22, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

I would try to reset keeping your files and see how that works. I would prefer getting a new ISO from MS using the MCT and do a clean install.

Plankton, Nov 22, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    A reset only keeps your apps and you will need to reinstall all programs. Try a repair install first which is basically reinstalling Windows over itself - provided you choose the option Keep Files & Settings.

Steve C, Nov 22, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    You obviously have never done a repair upgrade which usually sorts most issues without needing to reinstall programs.

cereberus, Nov 22, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Agreed - this is the best option but like any upgrade, backup valuable data first in case crap happens.

cereberus, Nov 22, 2017
  8. Raner Win User

*Haha Repair Install it is...

Raner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What is best, Repair or Reinstall version 1709... - Similar Threads - best Repair Reinstall

2. What is the best way to completely wipe and reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best way to completely wipe and reinstall windows?: My computer has been crashing randomly, doesn't use solid state drive and will use a ton of RAM to operate. Need to uninstall and relinstall windows. Have tried all other recovery options and Dell tells me that I need to do a full reset. What is the fastest way to do this? I...
  3. What is the best way to completely wipe and reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best way to completely wipe and reinstall windows?: My computer has been crashing randomly, doesn't use solid state drive and will use a ton of RAM to operate. Need to uninstall and relinstall windows. Have tried all other recovery options and Dell tells me that I need to do a full reset. What is the fastest way to do this? I...
  4. what windows 10 version is best for gaming?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what windows 10 version is best for gaming?: I use Win 10 Pro 1809. All games that I play run smoothly. BF1/BF5, Witcher 3, Sekiro:SDT. Played Anthem for like 20 hours, never had any performance issues. I had my concerns when switching from 7 to 10, but once I installed it and got familiar with it I realized that its...
  5. What is the best windows version for professional working?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is the best windows version for professional working?: As a professional person, I have to do a lot of job/task within my laptop. Now I am usingwindows 10 pro. But some the working time I saw my pc was not working properly. It's slow down, hanged, stopped. That time I was feeling very aggressive behavior. Now, what should I do...
  6. Version 1803 or 1709?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Version 1803 or 1709?: I have a Dell Inspiron 660S, 64-bit, running Windows Home Edition 10. After some recent Windows updates, I noticed I have version 1709 & OS Build 16299.666. In viewing my recent updates, I saw there had been a feature update to Windows 10, version 1803. It keeps showing that...
  7. Stuck at version 1709

Stuck at version 1709: Win 10, 1803, continues to fail the update on my Acer computer (i5-3450, 8GB RAM, Win10 home, version 1709 build 16299.611, cable internet hookup, loads of free hard disk area: >1.5 TByte). Here is the latest update attempt information to see if someone can suggest...
  8. What Fresh Hell Is This Re: MS Version 1709??

in Windows 10 Support
    What Fresh Hell Is This Re: MS Version 1709??: When I plugged in and booted up this morning I was greeted with this "Your Device Needs The Latest Security Updates." Imgur I have been on 1703 (win 10 pro) since I got the machine in early Dec. The culprit that started this unwanted and unstoppable upgrade appears to...
  9. version 1709 installed

version 1709 installed: version 1709 installed and Microsoft wants wordpad to be default, I have apache office which Microsoft is ignoring, it has tried 3 times to be default but winpatrol stops it, how do I get Microsoft to stop asking 99979
  10. What’s new for IT pros in Windows 10, version 1709

in Windows 10 News
    What’s new for IT pros in Windows 10, version 1709: Windows 10, version 1709 (also known as the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update) is now available via Windows Update for Business, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), the Volume Licensing Servicing Center (VLSC), and Visual Studio Subscriptions. We have also updated the...