Windows 10: What is Best Way to Keep Old Boot Drive for New Laptop?

Discus and support What is Best Way to Keep Old Boot Drive for New Laptop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just bought a new laptop still in factory box, it comes with a 1TB 5400 HDD. However, my current laptop has a 1TB SSHD. Both drives have Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Discipulus, Jan 26, 2017.

1. What is Best Way to Keep Old Boot Drive for New Laptop?

I just bought a new laptop still in factory box, it comes with a 1TB 5400 HDD. However, my current laptop has a 1TB SSHD. Both drives have Windows 10 installed. What is the best way to make the SSHD the boot drive in the new laptop?

1) I assume it would not be a good idea to just swap drives.
    2) I considered using cloning or pc moving software to transfer programs and settings to the HDD and then clone it back to the SSHD.
    3) Or I could invest all the time and hassle of doing a clean install on the HDD and clone it back to the SSHD, or do a clean install on the SSHD itself.

I just want to believe there is a better way? Any advice? Please?

:)

Discipulus, Jan 26, 2017
  2. GlynParry Win User

Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Jan 26, 2017
  3. Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive

I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 OS on a new ssd and make this the boot drive. I would like to keep the old WD 1T hard drive as a storage drive. What is the best/easiest procedure for extracting the old windows 10 OS from the old hard drive.
    I'm not sure that I know how to properly identify the OS files.

ThomasSchlimmer, Jan 26, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

What is Best Way to Keep Old Boot Drive for New Laptop?

You could clone your HDD to the SSHD

AddRAM, Jan 26, 2017
  5. essenbe Win User
    A 5400 RPM Hard Drive is going to be painfully slow. I would at least get a 7200 RPM drive to use or the best option would be an SSD and put the OS you plan on using the most on the SSD. You can use Macrium to clone or image any OS to any other drive the same size or larger. You can adjust partition sizes to accommodate a smaller drive.

essenbe, Jan 26, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    • Swapping the drives is a bad idea since the drivers are wrong - however Windows 10 may be able to work out which drivers to automatically install. Also, Windows 10 may not activate since the motherboard and processor is different.
    • Preferably image your current OS to an external drive using Macrium Reflect Free then recover that image to the new SSD using the Reflect image and Reflect recovery USB drive. You could also clone the OS to the SSD but there are advantages in imaging.
    • The new SSD OS installation should boot and activate very quickly.
    • See how the new SSD installation operates. You can then do a clean install if you think that would be an advantage.Beware of booting with the old HDD connected since it has an active partition which may confuse the boot process.
    • Keep the old HDD and install it in a USB disk caddy so you can use it for backups. You can always reinstall the HDD if the SSD fails and you will have a working OS.

Steve C, Jan 26, 2017
  7. Winuser Win User
    I did a a drive swap from one computer to another and it worked and activated without a problem. This was with a full version. If it's a OEM version this won't work.

Winuser, Jan 26, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

I wonder if taking the laptop out of its box and running through the initial setup would help. Once it was activated with the OEM system it was supplied with, would a swap then work?

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the new computer has a license for the same Windows 10 (Home or Pro) it will work. The OS assumes the license of the new computer.

Yes.

NavyLCDR, Jan 26, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It would be a better idea than you think. PROS: you keep all your accounts and settings. Windows 10 will just assume the license for Windows from the new computer and stay activated so long as it is the same version (Home or Pro). Windows 10 is very tolerant of the hardware change and you will get a message on first booting, Installing Devices or something like that and you'll be good to go. CONS: you end up with extra device driver files taking up space, but these can be removed with DISM cleanup commands and built-in Windows disk cleanup.

Probably the worst option. Moving only part of the OS and programs from one installation of Windows to another installation of Windows is a crap shoot. Odds are that it won't work 100%

There would be no sense to doing the clean install to the HDD and then cloning it to the SSHD when you could just do the clean install to the SSHD itself and save the time of the cloning. PROS to this approach, you do end up with a nice, clean, efficient install of Windows 10. CONS are you have to redo everything from scratch.

If it were me, this is what I would do. Make a backup image of the SSHD using Macrium Reflect Free. Physically move the SSHD to the new laptop. You will probably be very satisfied with the results. If you aren't, then you can always just do the clean install.

NavyLCDR, Jan 26, 2017
  11. This would be a dream come true. I will give it a go and report back here.

Thanks to everyone.

Discipulus, Jan 26, 2017
  12. JagoWU Win User
    I agree with AddRam. I would buy an SSD and clone the HDD to SSD. Then swap out the drives in the laptop. I have done this exact scenario myself. The original HDD is still in the closet. By doing this my reads went from 80mb/sec to 400+ mb /sec. Gotta love sata 3.

JagoWU, Jan 29, 2017
  13. Ztruker Win User

From the first post in this thread:

So he already had a large 1Tb SSD, no need to buy a new one.

Ztruker, Jan 29, 2017
  14. AddRAM Win User
    He has a Solid State Hard Drive, not a true Solid State Drive

SSD vs SSHD: solid state or hybrid? - Buying Advice - PC Advisor

But I don`t understand why he would even consider doing option #3, makes no sense to me.

Why would you do a clean install on the new HDD ? The OS is already installed, all the drivers are there etc. , Just clone that HD to your SSHD or clean install on the SSHD. Or as suggested buy a true SSD.

An 850 Pro

Access Denied

or an 850 Evo

Access Denied

And if the laptop should have room for 2 drives, (doubtful) then just use the Hard Drive it came with for data, and images.

AddRAM, Jan 29, 2017
  15. bobkn Win User
    I'm a little late to the party, but just to clarify:

You wish to move a 1TB SSD/HD hybrid drive from one notebook into a new one, preserving the Windows installation that's already on the SSHD?

If you can't just transfer the drive to the new notebook due to having different Win10 types (Home vs. Pro, for example), it may be possible to use drive imaging software that has an option for restoring an image to different hardware. (I believe that Acronis True Image claims to be able to do that.)

A clean install of 10 on the 1TB drive in the new notebook would be my preferred method, but that assumes that you have ready access to all of the application installers that you'd need. (It also assumes that you're willing to do the work, a few hours at least.)

bobkn, Jan 29, 2017
Thema:

1. What is Best Way to Keep Old Boot Drive for New Laptop? - Similar Threads - Best Keep Old

2. WHATS THE BEST WAY TO WIPE OUT MY DATA FROM MY OLD LAPTOP?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHATS THE BEST WAY TO WIPE OUT MY DATA FROM MY OLD LAPTOP?: WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USING A DRIVE EARASER SOFTWARE, DELETE DATA MANUALLY FROM HARD-DRIVE, OR DELETING DATA THROUGH RE-INSTALLATING WINDOWS?...
  3. WHATS THE BEST WAY TO WIPE OUT MY DATA FROM MY OLD LAPTOP?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WHATS THE BEST WAY TO WIPE OUT MY DATA FROM MY OLD LAPTOP?: WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USING A DRIVE EARASER SOFTWARE, DELETE DATA MANUALLY FROM HARD-DRIVE, OR DELETING DATA THROUGH RE-INSTALLATING WINDOWS?...
  4. What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?: I just got a NVMe drive and reinstalled Windows 10. I want to copy all my settings from my old drive which I was only using for a few months. Can I copy my entire user profile or something? Thanks for any ideas! submitted by /u/zWeApOnz [link] [comments]...
  5. Best way to transfer data/settings from old laptop to new laptop?

Best way to transfer data/settings from old laptop to new laptop?: About a month ago I bought a laptop and since then I've found the same laptop with better specs. I bought the upgraded laptop and I'm going to return the old one. What's the best/easiest way to transfer all my data and settings from the old machine to the new one? submitted...
  6. Best way to fix BSOD on new laptop.

Best way to fix BSOD on new laptop.: A laptop I bought recently has decided to BSOD on occassion. Scans and DISM have done nothing and drivers are updated. Error is a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and it happens at random. submitted by /u/Elite_wildwolf [link] [comments]...
  7. What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?: I've just bought a Lenovo Legion Y520 & have used speccy to get system info. There is another source of info that I've used** - it's digs very deep eg it lists WUs installed/missing and is really is many pages long Does anyone know the name of it please? **PS I have the...
  8. what is the best and safest way to format a storage drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    what is the best and safest way to format a storage drive: I have my OS on an SSD and then I have 3 2 TB hard drives that I use to have a triple redundancy backup. I have one drive I save everything to and then I use a program called GoodSync to back up that main drive to two other drives. It is a bit overkill but I know I will have...
  9. What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?: This is my first time here so if I need to elaborate on anything or provide more information I'll be happy to. I'm trying to set up a dual boot environment on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've done this one other systems in the past enough to where it had become pretty...
  10. New Build with new and old parts, best way to install...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Build with new and old parts, best way to install...: Hey guys, I am rebuilding my systems, going to take apart the two I have now and build a new one with new parts as well as old parts from the two systems, its mostly going to be new parts. The system specs I have in this forum is of the PC that I use to...