Windows 10: What is chkdsk trying to tell me?

Discus and support What is chkdsk trying to tell me? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A few months after migrating to Win10, and after applying the Anniversary edition update, I had been experiencing issues of PC hung applying other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Dominicus, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Dominicus Win User

What is chkdsk trying to tell me?

A few months after migrating to Win10, and after applying the Anniversary edition update, I had been experiencing issues of PC hung applying other Windows updates (several updates got to restart stage but would stay 8+ hrs overnight in blue limbo), error messages from my whole-disk backup solution about unreadable sectors, and crashing apps.
    My boot drive is a Samsung 2TB green SATA, in service for ~2 yrs.
    I ran "chkdsk c: /f /x", which spent 4+ hrs to run.
    Below is the chkdsk log output...chkdsk had a busy time fixing the drive, but sill reports no bad sectors.
    PC is working OK now, and drive backup completed without complaints.

My question: are these log results indicative of HDD degradation, or is it more likely product of those multiple hung states where I had to force-power-cycle my PC?

Code: Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue. Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... Attribute record of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x0 is cross linked starting at 0xf1664 for possibly 0xc clusters. Some clusters occupied by attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x0 in file 0x2cf2 is already in use. The attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x0 in file 0x2cf2 has allocated length of 0x7f25000 instead of 0x3160000. Deleted corrupt attribute list entry with type code 128 in file 11506. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0x7da000000000bf2. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0xBF2. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0x13000000002c84. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0x2C84. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0xe000000002c87. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0x2C87. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0x10000000002c88. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0x2C88. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0x59000000002ca1. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0x2CA1. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0x4f000000002ca4. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0x2CA4. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0x54000000002ca5. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0x2CA5. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0x6b000000002cb8. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0x2CB8. Unable to locate attribute with instance tag 0x0 and segment reference 0x79000000002d06. The expected attribute type is 0x80. Deleting corrupt attribute record (0x80, "") from file record segment 0x2D06. Cleaning up instance tags for file 0x137e3. 772864 file records processed. File verification completed. Deleting orphan file record segment 3058. Deleting orphan file record segment 11396. Deleting orphan file record segment 11399. Deleting orphan file record segment 11400. Deleting orphan file record segment 11425. Deleting orphan file record segment 11428. Deleting orphan file record segment 11429. Deleting orphan file record segment 11448. 9435 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 889540 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Cleaning up 5604 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 5604 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 5604 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. Inserting data attribute into file 11506. 58340 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. No further action is required. 1952949247 KB total disk space. 1003837952 KB in 571763 files. 344528 KB in 58340 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 906587 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 947860180 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 488237311 total allocation units on disk. 236965045 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 cb 0b 00 85 9b 09 00 4c ed 11 00 00 00 00 00 ........L....... e9 78 00 00 a2 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .x.............. Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.[/quote]

:)

Dominicus, Sep 12, 2016

2. How to tell if chkdsk is just taking awhile or is it stuck?

I was running a chkdsk on one of my hard drives because when I try to open up the folder, everything would freeze. So I tried to do chkdsk on it. It got all the way to Stage 4 and I can't tell if it is just takes some time or something happened and it got
    stuck. This it what it currently says.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data . . .

Progress: 19 out of 240 done; Stage: 7%; Total 0%; ETA: 999:00:00 .

When it was at 17 out of 240 done, it took awhile but then maybe 20 minutes it turned to 19 out of 240; so I thought it takes awhile. However it has been on 19 out of 240 for almost 2 hours now. Is it still working on the drive or did it freeze or something?

Sheryl Ayye, Sep 12, 2016
  3. How to tell if chkdsk is just taking awhile or is it stuck?

Hi Sheryl,

I realize that you face difficulty while performing check disk. I will certainly help you.

To assist you better, let us know have you installed any security software in your system.

Check disk will take abundant time to complete the process and time depends on data present in the hard drive.

If check disk process taking more time to complete. Please close the check disk process and restart the system. I suggest you to perform check disk from the advanced boot option.

Please follow the steps to access advanced boot options.

• Press windows logo key + I key and select
      update and recovery.

• Select recovery and click on
      restart now
      under advanced startup.

• Select troubleshoot and select
      Command prompt

• Then start performing check disk.

Please get back to us if you face any difficulties with Windows 10.

Thank you.

Prahalad Aramanda, Sep 12, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    I would install Crystal Disk Info Free (standard is fine) and have a look at the SMART attributes of your drive; see if any are failing. File system corruption can happen, and the disk health could be fine. Yes, forced power cycling can do this.

simrick, Sep 12, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Hi Dominicus,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

I would say that the log is not a sign of a HDD degradation, more a sign of a file system that hasn't had a maintenance in a long time.

6. I agree with axe0, but I have a few other questions.
    Please follow simricks request first - Crystal disk will tell you more about the health of the drive, so that is important.

• Is this a cloned drive?

• Is there more than one drive connected?
      <+> Please post a Disk management screen shot

• What Anti-Virus product do you use?

• Are you reliant on Restore points? If not, clean them all up.
      Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      (I select everything, you might want to be more selective)

• Is Bitlocker or other encryption used?

• What backup do you use?

• Check Device Manager for ghost entries
      • Set environment variable
        System Properties > Environment variables
        In the top section, User vars, add a new entry

devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices

What is chkdsk trying to tell me? [​IMG]

• Open Device Manager
        View menu
        Pick Show hidden devices
        Right click all ghost items
        <!> A ghost entry is greyed out
        Select the uninstall menu pick

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What is chkdsk trying to tell me? - Similar Threads - chkdsk trying tell

2. Plz tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Plz tell me what to do: I have window 10 fully updated hp pavilion notebook pc I have a short range issue with all bluetooth device pairing with my laptop it is having crack sound when moved around 15-20 cm from laptop please help....
  3. please tell me what to do

please tell me what to do: hello thanks for information , but i have another problem with my computer. my computer and external hard disk work very good for more than a year . i one day my computer speaker did not work i try to back up speaker but still did not work . then i try to recovery my computer...
  4. Can someone tell me what this is?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone tell me what this is?: Can someone tell me what this is ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-tell-me-what-this-is/979e5309-7648-4832-9520-55361777e07c
  5. Can someone tell me what this is?

Can someone tell me what this is?: Can someone tell me what this is ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-tell-me-what-this-is/979e5309-7648-4832-9520-55361777e07c
  6. can sombody tell me what this is

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can sombody tell me what this is: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Lord-VinMeri [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v2cyxd/can_sombody_tell_me_what_this_is/
  7. Can anyone tell me what this is?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can anyone tell me what this is?: I saw this on the top left of my screen on the regular desktop part with no windows opened and I can move it around with my cursor but that’s it, don’t know what it is please help me...
  8. What is Edge trying to tell me about PDF files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is Edge trying to tell me about PDF files?: Yes I know that Edge can display PDF files, and after being released for a year Edge could even avoid crashing when displaying PDF files. In fact I'm using it that way now, because the PDF file is coming from a web site. Now, what is Edge trying to tell me about PDF files?...
  9. What is Macrium Reflect trying to tell me?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What is Macrium Reflect trying to tell me?: Macrium Reflect and my own Disk Management are telling me two different things about the same partition. [img] [img] Macrium reports that the partition has almost reached its capacity threshold, while on the other hand Disk Management indicates that 100% of the...
  10. What is Macrium Reflect trying to tell me?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What is Macrium Reflect trying to tell me?: Macrium Reflect and my own Disk Management are telling me two different things about the same partition. [img] [img] Macrium reports that the partition has almost reached its capacity threshold, while on the other hand Disk Management indicates that 100% of the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chkdsk eta meaning

2. chkdsk estimated time 999

3. chkdsk eta

4. chkdsk eta 999,
  5. eta 999:00:00,
  6. chkdsk stuck on stage 2 delete entries,
  7. chkdsk what is ETA,
  8. looking for bad clusters eta 999,
  9. fixing (C:) starge 1 ETA999:00:00,
  10. lappy problems fixing c stage 2 eta meaning