Windows 10: What is Correct License Key when I Used Free UIpgrade from 8.0 to 10?

Discus and support What is Correct License Key when I Used Free UIpgrade from 8.0 to 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Some time ago I took advantage of the free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10. Now I am replacing my Hard Drives and will need to re-install Win 10. What is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by saclarkdoc, Feb 19, 2017.

1. What is Correct License Key when I Used Free UIpgrade from 8.0 to 10?

Some time ago I took advantage of the free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10. Now I am replacing my Hard Drives and will need to re-install Win 10. What is the correct key I should use for this install? Is it my old Win 8 key?

:)

saclarkdoc, Feb 19, 2017
  2. BillFlag Win User

Windows 10 upgraded from 8.1 today, wont activate.

I have the same problem. The install rejects my Windows 8.1 activation key. In fact, when I try to modify 8.1 features, that too does not accept my activation key. I've double checked my key with my order receipt and it is correct.

As I recall, 8.1 was a free upgrade from 8.0, but the upgrade must have done something to the 8.0 key, as I don't think 8.1 issued a separate key.

BillFlag, Feb 19, 2017
  3. Laurent.L Win User
    Path to upgrade from Vista to Windows 10 (with 8.0 license)

Hi,

I'm wondering what's the better path to upgrade my Vista (home premium) to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install for free. (since I own a 8.0 upgrade license)

I have:

• a PC with Vista home premium x86 OEM and its license key.
    • The license key to upgrade from Vista to 8.0 Pro bought 30$ through UpgradeAssistant when 8.0 has been released (but never installed/activated it)
    • A brand new SSD to replace the only drive in the laptop and do a clean install.
    • ISOs files for Windows 8.0 Pro and 10 Pro multi arch and sufficient and knowledge to create usb install key. (not sure my 8.0 iso is valid because I got it from upgrade assistant while upgrading 8.0 preview x64 to 8.0 Pro x64 on an other PC so I think the
      iso is x64 only. I'm now targeting a x86 laptop)
    • A low bandwidth ISP connection at home, high at work (this is why I like iso so much..) Downloading is still possible at home. (about 3hours per iso)
    I'm currently thinking of:

• Replace current HDD(Vista) for SSD(uninitialized) and install Windows 8.0 Pro with upgrade license key.
    • One of:

a) Insert Windows 10 USB media and (try to) start an upgrade 8.0 to 10 (can it be clean install ?)

b) Update 8.0 to 8.1 (windows store) then to 8.1-update 1 (offline win update) + August update and finally run Win10 upgrade assistant to register the PC hardware id to Microsoft servers. (so no license will be prompted by Win10)
    • If not already clean (a) or if (b) then format and install Windows 10.

Is there something I missed before starting my quest to windows 10?

Any official download for 8.0 x86 iso available? (if not I will try to find the cleanest I can since I will format it in the process)

Thanks.

Laurent.L, Feb 19, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What is Correct License Key when I Used Free UIpgrade from 8.0 to 10?

There will be a smaller link "I don't have a product key". Click on that.

What is Correct License Key when I Used Free UIpgrade from 8.0 to 10? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Feb 19, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    You do not need a key as your licence is tied to your mobo id which was registered with MS when you upgraded. Just skip key entry.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What is Correct License Key when I Used Free UIpgrade from 8.0 to 10?

1. What is Correct License Key when I Used Free UIpgrade from 8.0 to 10? - Similar Threads - Correct License Key

2. What's the use of disk 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the use of disk 0: I've searched for so long but still haven't got an answer, my disk 0 has 1tb unallocated space but I can't use it, I tried to new simple volume it but it was just grey, I know nothing about computers but I'm supposed to have 1tb but only have 118gb usable storage, what's the...
  3. What's the use of disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the use of disk 0: I've searched for so long but still haven't got an answer, my disk 0 has 1tb unallocated space but I can't use it, I tried to new simple volume it but it was just grey, I know nothing about computers but I'm supposed to have 1tb but only have 118gb usable storage, what's the...
  4. windows !0 free upgrade product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows !0 free upgrade product key: i got windows 10 free upgrade off the internet a couple years ago, now i need an activation key & have no idea where to find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-0-free-upgrade-product-key/260f18fb-dab5-4c5d-ae83-2daac0a34aec
  5. Can I get windows 10 license key for free??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I get windows 10 license key for free??: Hi I have an HP pc , in my case the specs don't matter what matters is that my PC fell once and the hard drive stopped working, called the IT guy and he told me to buy the license key is foolish as it is expensive so he put in fake key, and after the key was recognized as...
  6. Using Macrium Free - Correctly?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using Macrium Free - Correctly?: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB memory, several SSDs for storage, hard drives for backups. Ive been using the free version of Macrium Reflect (7.3) for several weeks. Im trying to figure out if Im doing it right. Im doing an image of my system, so it backs up C (110 GB in use)...
  7. Activating Windows 10, for FREE, using Windows 10 volume license keys, and connecting with...

Activating Windows 10, for FREE, using Windows 10 volume license keys, and connecting with...: I was getting this message 'Your Windows License will expire soon'...and I came across this https://freeproductkeys.com/free-windows-10-product-key-2019-100-working/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ArmZvCz2JA Please explain what's going on... (1) How is it FREE!!?...
  8. How to reactivate Windows 10 from a Windows 8 license key

How to reactivate Windows 10 from a Windows 8 license key: A few years ago, I bought Windows 8 SL CD installer with license key and installed it on my laptop. I upgraded the said OS to Windows 10 at the time that it was offered for free. A few years later, I uninstalled windows on said laptop and sold it for parts. I am now...
  9. Windows 8 license key on Windows 10

Windows 8 license key on Windows 10: I have Windows 10 on my computer. Is it possible to activate Windows 10 With an unused Windows 8.1 key? Or do i have to downgrade to Windows 8.1, activate it and then upgrade to Windows 10 again? Thanks for replying *Smile 12304
  10. Windows 10 upgrade from 7 - what license key should I use?

Windows 10 upgrade from 7 - what license key should I use?: Hello, Last night up upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Windows 10. Windows 10 shows activated, but I never received a Windows 10 "key". I saw another topic it was noted that you would use your current key for the OS you upgraded from. If I were to do a fresh install with an...