Windows 10: What is difference, (dis)advantages between Dynamic and MBR/GPT disks?

Discus and support What is difference, (dis)advantages between Dynamic and MBR/GPT disks? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I was searching for solution how to allow MBR disk add more than 4 primary partitions. At searching I found not new for me, but unknown option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MIRKOSOFT, Apr 20, 2018.

1. MIRKOSOFT Win User

What is difference, (dis)advantages between Dynamic and MBR/GPT disks?

Hi!

I was searching for solution how to allow MBR disk add more than 4 primary partitions.
    At searching I found not new for me, but unknown option - dynamic disk.
    Please explain me advantages, disadvantages between dynamic and MBR/GPT disks.
    Also how dynamic disk works and maybe more.

Thank you very much!
    Miro

:)

MIRKOSOFT, Apr 20, 2018
  2. Linney Win User

Fixing broken Windows 7 boot in Windows 10 system

How to repair the EFI Bootloader in Windows 8

How to repair the EFI Bootloader in Windows 8 - fixedByVonnie

Repairing Windows in UEFI mode

http://hydra.geht.net/tino/howto/uefi/winrepair/

Windows and (U)EFI

http://hydra.geht.net/tino/howto/uefi/windows/

Fix Windows 8 bootloader after converting MBR disc to GPT

Fix Windows 8 bootloader after converting MBR disc to GPT

"Windows can only boot from GPT on UEFI-based computers running 64-bit versions of Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and corresponding server versions. All versions of Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, and Vista can read GPT drives and use them for data — they just can’t
    boot from them without UEFI".

What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?

Linney, Apr 20, 2018
  3. Linney Win User
    Clean installing windows 10

I think Windows chooses what it needs and wants if the hard drive has already been "Initialised". If it is a brand new hard drive that has not been "Initialised" then you may get a choice. MBR Disks are the "old way" and GPT the "new boy on the block".

My advice is try it aiming for an overwrite of a single partition and see if you can get it to install, it will immediately object if it can't. I have found clicking on "New" in the options provided at Setup (in relation to targeting a partition) can help.
    It is only when progress is stymied that you go for deleting all partitions on a hard drive option.

I hope that the above make sense but hard drive and partition formatting is not a daily experience for normal users like you and me so instructions may appear a bit vague.

Whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive

mbr v gpt - Recherche Google

Linney, Apr 20, 2018
  4. What is difference, (dis)advantages between Dynamic and MBR/GPT disks?

PolarNettles, Apr 20, 2018
Thema:

What is difference, (dis)advantages between Dynamic and MBR/GPT disks?

1. What is difference, (dis)advantages between Dynamic and MBR/GPT disks? - Similar Threads - difference dis advantages

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  4. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  5. Dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data: Hi, how do i convert dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data? I know you can do it via disk management, but for me its greyed out. I have 4tb one and i think why its greyed out is bc it will try to convert it to basic mbr disk (which supports only up to 2tb)...
  6. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  7. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  8. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  9. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  10. MBR or GPT

MBR or GPT: Well I have to do my windows 10 over the right way, I thought I installed a clean install but apparently I didn't so I have instructions how to do it the right way. My question is back when I was having other issues with 10 it was mentioned about using GPT instead of the MBR....