Windows 10: What is going on, serious disk reading every time after bootup Win 10?

Discus and support What is going on, serious disk reading every time after bootup Win 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since I have th FCU, every time I boot up my PC right afterwards my PC keeps on using my HDD HARDCORE on 100% for minutes on end... It keeps on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RingTailCoon, Oct 31, 2017.

1. What is going on, serious disk reading every time after bootup Win 10?

Since I have th FCU, every time I boot up my PC right afterwards my PC keeps on using my HDD HARDCORE on 100% for minutes on end... It keeps on rattling like it's doing... something... but WHAT? Yes, I have a dutch version of Win 10 Pro.

So what in tarrrrrnation is going on here? (after 20 minutes it just stops...) And it's eating my CPU to the fullest... (3,23Ghz)

What is going on, serious disk reading every time after bootup Win 10? [​IMG]

and after a while.... it just settles neatly... Until the next time...

:)

RingTailCoon, Oct 31, 2017

2. ctfmon.exe is missing from startup. How do I get it back and run it at startup?

But you have to do it every time after bootup.

gaurav1993, Oct 31, 2017
  3. Shebii Win User
    DVD/CD not reading a program disk to install on Win 10

I've upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I need to reinstall a program via disk, since it's not showing after doing the upgrade to Win 10. Win 10 shows the DVD/RW Drive:E in explorer, but it won't read the installation disk when I insert it. Autoplay is
    on, and it worked fine in Win 7 when I used it to install the program. When I insert the disk, I can hear the drive going, but then it stops. Going into the Drive:E, it says please insert disk, but the disk is already in there. I've tried multiple times,
    even cleaned the transport, but nothing works. It's on a Lenovo laptop, the drivers are all up to date.

Shebii, Oct 31, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

What is going on, serious disk reading every time after bootup Win 10?

Check under "Process > Disk" tab:

CountMike, Oct 31, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    You are on a spinning hard drive? If so that seems normal behaviour.

swarfega, Oct 31, 2017
  6. Yeah but for 20 minutes or longer? Sounds fishy to me...

7. CountMike New Member
    Time... more or less but 100% of disk usage ?? Have to find out what's doing it first

CountMike, Oct 31, 2017
  8. What is going on, serious disk reading every time after bootup Win 10?

Well, right after booting up the system it keeps on going doing stuff for 20 minutes and then it just settled being all calm and stuff. Ok, some sound afterwards but that's fine...

9. swarfega Win User
    How old is the laptop, is it out of warrantee? Does the machine have a door to swap out the drive? If so it might be worth considering an SSD upgrade.

swarfega, Oct 31, 2017
  10. No it's just from this year, custom pc build, desktop tower pc. Win 10 pro, 64 bit. And no, it does not have a fancy swap door.

11. That isn't normal. And no thinking of considering getting an SSD just because of a 20 minute HDD activity is no excuse.

RoasterMen, Oct 31, 2017
  12. Soooooo.... What's a good solution for this problem? (And no, can't buy a SSD.. I'm kinda poor ATM)

13. Barman58 Win User

How do you use your system? When first updated Windows has always had a largish List of tasks to "sort out" the new system, more on a fresh install but even an updates, (Indexing etc).

If you are someone that switches on the system, does the work you need to, and then shutdown, then the organisation can take a while and does tend to do a lot when first switched on ( just my experience and no idea why It does it immediately after start-up)

If you leave the system switched on for several hours, or in the case of a data rich system several days, The system should not be in use, as the tasks are set to only run when the system is idle, once this initial load is complete the system should settle down

Barman58, Oct 31, 2017
  14. robgr Win User
    Is the pc booting in normal time?
    Run CystalDiskInfo to check the statuc

robgr, Oct 31, 2017
  15. Mostly internet stuff and a bit of gaming. Ah, thank you. Yeah, just like you said I switch it on, do stuff on it and later on when I have enough of it, I turn it off again. But is it better then to put it in standby?

Thema:

1. What is going on, serious disk reading every time after bootup Win 10? - Similar Threads - going serious disk

2. What is run.vbs...windows defender is detecting it as virus every time i bootup...should i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is run.vbs...windows defender is detecting it as virus every time i bootup...should i...: Inside the Appdata Update There was a file named Run.vbs and Microsoft defender is detecting this file as a virus each and every time I boot up windows.What should I do, Should I delete the run.vbs file Or should I delete the whole "Update" folder Inside which it is located...
  3. What is run.vbs...windows defender is detecting it as virus every time i bootup...should i...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is run.vbs...windows defender is detecting it as virus every time i bootup...should i...: Inside the Appdata Update There was a file named Run.vbs and Microsoft defender is detecting this file as a virus each and every time I boot up windows.What should I do, Should I delete the run.vbs file Or should I delete the whole "Update" folder Inside which it is located...
  4. Seriously what is this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Seriously what is this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Spuky05 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hk3fup/seriously_what_is_this/
  5. My computer repeatedly freezes at bootup. What's going on?

My computer repeatedly freezes at bootup. What's going on?: I have an HP TouchSmart 9100, intel Core 2 Duo, Windows 10 PC. I recently installed Minecraft, and since then it has been having startup problems. It runs fine, but for it to fully start, I need to use a System Restore point. What could be the source of the problem? Is it...
  6. [HELP][SERIOUS] MY HDD IS BEING READ 100% of the time.

[HELP][SERIOUS] MY HDD IS BEING READ 100% of the time.: Hello fellow redditors. I recently noticed a drop in the performance of my PC. Not that i play any Triple A titles on it, i noticed a significant drop in the fastness (idk if that's a word) of my PC. Heck, even Microsoft Edge Beta took a solid 30-45 secs to open up. I...
  7. Win 10 BootUp issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 BootUp issue: I have a Ideacentre 510A, i5-9400CPU, 20GB 20 gb memory and all Win10 updates are current. My issue is that when booting the system not boot directly to the home screen. The following appears: > Checking Media Presence > Media Present >Star PXE over IPVC on...
  8. Incredibly slow bootup time, but excellent performance after bootup

Incredibly slow bootup time, but excellent performance after bootup: I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 with 1 TB HDD, 8GB RAM and a Ryzen 5 2500U. In the past few months, the boot up time of my laptop has increased substantially( to about 4-5 minutes), but once it's loaded, everything works perfectly and fast, like it used to. Is there any...
  9. Every folder on every disk is set to read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Every folder on every disk is set to read only: It's not my computer but I am essentially my parents' tech support. According to my mother, she booted up the computer this morning and was checking her email, but when she tried to send an email she got an error message about issues accessing the folder it was installed in....
  10. Windows 10 Logon Password Now Required Every Time - Whats Going On

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Logon Password Now Required Every Time - Whats Going On: Recently I have had to reset my laptop running Windows 10 to factory settings and now, every time I boot up, it keeps asking for my email password to allow me to login, even though I didn't set this when restoring. I even thought I'd made a mistake, so last evening restored...