Windows 10: What is "logger.js"?

Discus and support What is "logger.js"? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What is "logger.js"? It is only 9 bytes big and it references "haso.pubmatic.com". It pops up when I go online and Windows asks if I want to open... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ron79, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Ron79 Win User

What is "logger.js"?

What is "logger.js"?

It is only 9 bytes big and it references "haso.pubmatic.com". It pops up when I go online and Windows asks if I want to open or save it. Windows does not give me the option to delete it. It does not show up in my "Download" folder.

Is it safe? Even if it is safe, it is annoying that Windows keeps asking me what to do with it. How do I stop it?

Thanks for the help.

:)

Ron79, Sep 12, 2016
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Sep 12, 2016
  3. what!?!? Win User
    Apps not closing, still running in background

I just got my Lumia 950 phone. On my prior Windows phone, when I pressed the arrow/back button on the bottom left screen, I would exit the app. On Windows 10 phone, I've been doing that and I just realized I'm not exiting the apps. I had intentionally not
    exited an app (because it had my boarding pass). Instead of back button, I pressed the middle window button. Later when I went back to call up my airline app, I pressed the arrow/back button and held it. Similar to my old windows phone, it showed me all the
    apps that were open. SURPRISE! unlike my previous phone, no app had been closing. Right now, I can't seem to find a "one click" way to exit an app. The only way is after I've done a few things, I hold the back button and click the "X" on each of the open items.

Can someone tell me how to exit an app with one click or swipe so that it is not still running, i.e. when I press the back button I will not see it? I'm sure this is something simple. I search the instructions that came with the phone and looked in the
    forum but haven't found the answer.

thanks in advance the assist.

what!?!?, Sep 12, 2016
  4. Ron79 Win User

What is "logger.js"?

I contacted Norton to see if they knew anything about this. The person I was dealing with never directly answered me as to whether or not he did know about it. I gave them this link to Microsoft.com where other people are inquiring about it:
    Is Logger.js a harmful download?

The last time I checked in the Microsoft site, 47 people were asking about "logger.js". Apparently most of them found this issue today (Sept 12, 2016) or yesterday.

--------------

UPDATE: I earlier thought the problem may have been picked up at a specific site I went to but it seems to be more tied to "haso.pumatic.com", which is probably a better title for this thread. I would not recommend going to that site.

Ron79, Sep 12, 2016
  5. COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 12, 2016
  6. COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 12, 2016
  7. COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 12, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

What is "logger.js"?

Please do NOT, under any circumstances, download and install Spyhunter!

Here are the steps I would recommend to clear your system:

Run the following programs in this order:

RKILL
    TDSSKiller (check all boxes and let it reboot so it can scan properly)
    RKILL (again, because everything RKILL does is undone by a reboot)
    ADWCleaner (scan, then clean; it will reboot as well)
    Malwarebytes Antimalware full custom scan of all drives (be sure to check the box for Rootkits)
    JRT

Then, run Ccleaner on your registry, and also all your browsers' cache and temp files.

That should clear your system of this infection properly. *Smile

EDIT: all these programs are free.

simrick, Sep 12, 2016
  9. Ron79 Win User
    Computiac, simrick,
    Thank you for your suggestions.

I went to the site that the bunny suggested (what happened to his reply?). It seemed to have good info, but it made me a tiny bit leery when it got to the pay version of Spyhunter so I did not proceed with it.

It looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me (Thank you for the detailed list, simrick). One option I have is to let the Norton folks have a try at tearing into it (by chance I selected the "they'll-fix-any-virus" option when I renewed my Norton 360 subscription). Is that something that you would recommend or should I take the long road to self enlightenment. (BTW - I am moderately computer savvy, but I have very few hairs left to pull out).

Thanks again.

Ron79, Sep 12, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    You're welcome. I'm not sure what happened to that post, but very glad you didn't download SpyHunter - that would have been a problem in itself. *Wink

To be honest, I don't have much faith in Norton, and if it were me, I'd want that browser hijacker off my system immediately. Norton *could* get technical, and tell you that you don't have a virus, and there's nothing for them to fix. Why? Because you have "malware" on your system, and yes, there's a difference.

It appears to me, based on the link Computiac provided for the logger.js program, that some nefarious people are using it; compromising websites, and looking for systems with vulnerabilities they can infect. If you have not checked your Java version, I suggest you do that to make sure it is up-to-date.

What version java do I have?

You already have a browser hijacker on your system. It could be from a bad plugin - who knows? - but your system is vulnerable at this point, and one infection usually leads to more, as they download lots of "friends" as much as they are able.

If it were me, I'd be running the scans toot-sweet. The only one that will take any length of time will be the full scan with Malwarebytes; the rest are pretty quick.

Once you've got a scan run, feel free to post the log, and I will have a look at each one for you, to see if anything sinister is lurking that needs special attention. *Smile

simrick, Sep 12, 2016
  11. I would follow simricks advice to the letter as she is the very best on this and many other subjects.
    Ask questions about anything you are not sure of at any time.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 12, 2016
  12. Ron79 Win User
    simrick, Computiac,

OK, I'm going to do this! It's too late tonight so shutting down the computer, but tomorrow I will immediately begin the scanning.

Thanks again for the help and the pep talk.

-
    (Cue the "Eye of the Tiger" music....)

If you're going through Hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

Ron79, Sep 12, 2016
  13. What is "logger.js"?

Great, get a good nights sleep and we will see you in the morning.
    You can do this.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 12, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    *Ditto
    Please consider posting the log after each scan, (ask if you don't know where to find them), as this may be a new twist on an old infection method, and I'd like to see what it's all about, to understand it better for future, and advise additional steps if found to be necessary. Night!

simrick, Sep 12, 2016
  15. I picked this up when I was using findagrave.com this summer (a couple of months ago). I x'd out of it, but it kept popping up. It eventually stopped popping up. A few days ago it began popping up when I check my Yahoo email. That's the only place I currently get it.

writerperson, Sep 12, 2016
Thema:

What is "logger.js"?

1. What is "logger.js"? - Similar Threads - logger

2. WHEA-Logger Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WHEA-Logger Error: Was watching twitch stream and my computer BSOD, I recently got RTX 4060TI and don't know if that's the issue.Specs: PRIME z690-P WIFI D4i7-12700KFRTX 4060TISamsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Mini DUMP: 042224-7046-01.rar...
  3. WHEA-Logger Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHEA-Logger Error: Was watching twitch stream and my computer BSOD, I recently got RTX 4060TI and don't know if that's the issue.Specs: PRIME z690-P WIFI D4i7-12700KFRTX 4060TISamsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB...
  4. WHEA-Logger Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHEA-Logger Error: Was watching twitch stream and my computer BSOD, I recently got RTX 4060TI and don't know if that's the issue.Specs: PRIME z690-P WIFI D4i7-12700KFRTX 4060TISamsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB...
  5. Random PC Freezes, EventLog 6008, Kernel-Power Event ID 41, WHEA-Logger event ID 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random PC Freezes, EventLog 6008, Kernel-Power Event ID 41, WHEA-Logger event ID 1: Good time of the day Experts.We are at the wits end figuring cause of spontaneous freezes and crashes of the PC. Sometimes when playing video games, sometimes even when logging into windows. Tried, what seems like everything: Updating video drivers, Updating bios,...
  6. Random PC Freezes, EventLog 6008, Kernel-Power Event ID 41, WHEA-Logger event ID 1

Random PC Freezes, EventLog 6008, Kernel-Power Event ID 41, WHEA-Logger event ID 1: Good time of the day Experts.We are at the wits end figuring cause of spontaneous freezes and crashes of the PC. Sometimes when playing video games, sometimes even when logging into windows. Tried, what seems like everything: Updating video drivers, Updating bios,...
  7. Random PC Freezes, EventLog 6008, Kernel-Power Event ID 41, WHEA-Logger event ID 1

8. A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error: Get this error a lot, event viewer logs get spammed with this for a while then its fine for a while then it happens again.Its always Processor APIC ID: 20 OR 21Plzz help DETAILED VIEW:-System-Provider[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger[...
  9. A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error

A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error: Get this error a lot, event viewer logs get spammed with this for a while then its fine for a while then it happens again.Its always Processor APIC ID: 20 OR 21Plzz help DETAILED VIEW:-System-Provider[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger[...
  10. A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error