Windows 10: What is Memory Compression.exe?

Discus and support What is Memory Compression.exe? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; this recently showed up in my process list, taking up a huge amount of RAM. it now doesn't take up so much memory, but it's still over 100Mb. i do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pikabun91, Jan 11, 2017.

1. pikabun91 Win User

What is Memory Compression.exe?

this recently showed up in my process list, taking up a huge amount of RAM. it now doesn't take up so much memory, but it's still over 100Mb.

i do understand memory compression. what bothers me is -

1) it was never in my process list until about a week ago

2) there is a space in the process title - it is literally "Memory Compression.exe"

3) there is no information about it in my task manager (i use Anvir) - no product name, company, executable file, nothing except that the user is NT Authority System. none of the other processes on the list lack any of this information.

4) i can't find any information about it online, which seems incredibly weird. none of the process definition sites i checked even had an entry for it.

so what is it?

:)

pikabun91, Jan 11, 2017
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Jan 11, 2017
  3. manicqin Win User
    What is Combo Memory?

Never mind, Thank you guys I just searched the term in this forum and found the next post

/discussions/board/message?board.id=accessories&message.id=8212&query.id=166173#M8212

Thanks!

Message Edited by on 02-Apr-2008 02:48 PM

manicqin, Jan 11, 2017
  4. prikker Win User

prikker, Jan 11, 2017
  5. pikabun91 Win User
    again, i do understand what memory compression is. i'm asking about that particular process, for the reasons i listed above - recent appearance, weird name, no info, etcetera.

pikabun91, Jan 11, 2017
  6. prikker Win User
  7. pikabun91 Win User
    no, that is not what i mean.

"system" and "system idle process" have always been running. i do know what they are, and i know why they use the amount of RAM (and CPU %) that they do.

my question refers to the specific process "Memory Compression.exe"

pikabun91, Jan 11, 2017
  8. pikabun91 Win User

as seen here:

What is Memory Compression.exe? [​IMG]

pikabun91, Jan 11, 2017
  9. prikker Win User
    I know that. I searched for it, but can't find what it means exactly. The 2 I posted is what I found.

prikker, Jan 11, 2017
  10. pikabun91 Win User
    ok... i'll leave this marked as unsolved then, so maybe someone else can help.

thanks anyway!

pikabun91, Jan 11, 2017
  11. lehnerus2000, Jan 12, 2017
  12. pikabun91 Win User
    using the compact /compactos:query prompt tells me that compression is turned off.

the process was not listed in the task manager until last week or so. i can't find an online reference a process with that exact name anywhere, and it uses a lot of RAM even when i'm doing other things.

What is Memory Compression.exe? [​IMG]

i guess my main concern is that it might be malware trying to look legitimate... (does anyone remember the lsass bug?)

pikabun91, Jan 12, 2017
  13. PiKo Win User

The logic question is then: do you have a restore point?

14. prikker Win User
    What Process Explorer do you use? In Process Explorer I see Memory Compression without .exe

prikker, Jan 12, 2017
  15. pikabun91 Win User
    good point - i'll try reverting and see if that changes anything.

pikabun91, Jan 14, 2017
Thema:

1. What is Memory Compression.exe? - Similar Threads - Memory Compression exe

2. memory compression

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  3. memory compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  4. memory compression

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What is this compressed memory and is there a way to decrease its ram usage?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is this compressed memory and is there a way to decrease its ram usage?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/CookiesAreBadLol [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lcddg6/what_is_this_compressed_memory_and_is_there_a_way/
  6. System and compressed memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System and compressed memory: System and compressed memory is not showing in task manager, is it because I have enough RAM? Thanks. 62163
  7. System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage): Hello there, I am here today as I have had a problem with System and Compressed Memory since I installed Windows 10 back in December of 2015. Now keep in mind, this isn't a normal issue, as I have yet to actually find anything in regards to what to do to fix this. (I have...
  8. System and Compressed Memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and Compressed Memory: Is there any way to stop the "system and compressed memory" from happening? I am so annoyed by it's constant 90% Memory usage! I used to have only 8 GB of RAM and it would use 7GB out of the whole 8GB. I recently upgraded to 16GB and everything was fine. System and Compressed...
  9. What is System and compressed memory ?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is System and compressed memory ?: Why it's taking 380MB of my memory ? Does it important or there is a way to disable it ? 44359
  10. Windows 10 Memory Compression

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Memory Compression: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] With the announcement of the Memory compression feature, we have received a lot of queries from the insiders asking for more information. This post tries to go in-depth into the inner working of the Memory Manager and the...