Windows 10: What is Showad.js?

Discus and support What is Showad.js? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, new user here! When I go into eBay I get the following message pop up at the bottom of the screen:- 'Do you want to open or save showad.js... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PandaB, Jun 5, 2017.

1. PandaB Win User

What is Showad.js?

Hi, new user here!

When I go into eBay I get the following message pop up at the bottom of the screen:-

'Do you want to open or save showad.js from ads.pubmatic.com ?'

I'm using Windows 10 with Internet Explorer 11. The message does not appear on any other websites, neither does the message appear if I access eBay with other browsers such as Edge or Chrome.

I've spent hours on google trying to find a solution to stop this message. Each time a page is changed or selection updated the message reappears. I've downloaded and run all the malware programs I could find, none of them found anything. I guess because nothing has actually been installed.

Any one have any ideas how to stop this prompt ?

:)

PandaB, Jun 5, 2017
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Jun 5, 2017
  3. what!?!? Win User
    Apps not closing, still running in background

I just got my Lumia 950 phone. On my prior Windows phone, when I pressed the arrow/back button on the bottom left screen, I would exit the app. On Windows 10 phone, I've been doing that and I just realized I'm not exiting the apps. I had intentionally not
    exited an app (because it had my boarding pass). Instead of back button, I pressed the middle window button. Later when I went back to call up my airline app, I pressed the arrow/back button and held it. Similar to my old windows phone, it showed me all the
    apps that were open. SURPRISE! unlike my previous phone, no app had been closing. Right now, I can't seem to find a "one click" way to exit an app. The only way is after I've done a few things, I hold the back button and click the "X" on each of the open items.

Can someone tell me how to exit an app with one click or swipe so that it is not still running, i.e. when I press the back button I will not see it? I'm sure this is something simple. I search the instructions that came with the phone and looked in the
    forum but haven't found the answer.

thanks in advance the assist.

what!?!?, Jun 5, 2017
  4. What is Showad.js?

Have a look here

Remove Showad.js Pop-up from Pubmatic.com | Updated

tuksumduin, Jun 5, 2017
  5. PandaB Win User
    Thanks for that link. Everything I found on google relates to removing the program. The problem I have is that the program is not installed on my pc. I only get the prompt to open or save the showad.js file, this prompt comes up over and over again only when using eBay.

I did save the file to an old external drive and found the file to be empty.

PandaB, Jun 5, 2017
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    The HOSTS file (which has no file extension) found in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS is a textfile that acts as a lookup database table to handle the way that certain web addresses are directed.

In your case you want any "pubmatic" web addresses to be misdirected so that they cannot phone home.

This is the Microsoft sample HOSTS file:

Code: # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.# # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. # # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one # space. # # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. # # For example: # # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. # 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost[/quote] Here is the same file edited to misdirect any "pubmatic" addresses to the address 0.0.0.0 - which is nowhere on the internet - just a virtual black hole or localhost address on your PC.

Code: # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.# # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. # # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one # space. # # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. # # For example: # # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. # 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost 0.0.0.0 ads.pubmatic.com 0.0.0.0 bid.pubmatic.com 0.0.0.0 haso.pubmatic.com 0.0.0.0 showads.pubmatic.com 0.0.0.0 track.pubmatic.com 0.0.0.0 image2.pubmatic.com[/quote] These addresses come from the first link on the following google search, with a fuller explanation of the hosts file, and further information.

LMGTFY

Fafhrd, Jun 5, 2017
  7. PandaB Win User
    Fafhrd, thank you for taking the time to reply with your solution. I've made the change and I'm pleased to report the problem is solved, I never would have found that in a million years!

PandaB, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What is Showad.js?