Windows 10: What is System and compressed memory ?

Discus and support What is System and compressed memory ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why it's taking 380MB of my memory ? Does it important or there is a way to disable it ? 44359 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chocolade, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Chocolade Win User

What is System and compressed memory ?

Why it's taking 380MB of my memory ? Does it important or there is a way to disable it ?

:)

Chocolade, Mar 16, 2016
  2. Taisanica Win User

System and compressed memory process driving me crazy, concidering law actions...

OMG this is exactly why I didn't even try to contact Microsoft before! There is over 22 million search results on google searching for "system and compressed memory problem" but no, I should go and check troubleshooter.... I wonder how I never came on
    such an brilliant idea before... Also, troubleshooter is so smart, and will tell compressed system memory, not to disturb the user any more right??

Give me the tool/way to deactivate whatever System and Compressed Memory does in idle state! That is what I need! That is what 22 million people on the net are searching for!! No more Diagnosing tools please, my PC is fine it's your (hidden) setting that makes
    System and Compressed Memory run in idle every time PC hits idle... That is what is wrong with my System! So, HOW TO DISABLE SYSTEM AND COMPRESSED MEMORY from kicking in when PC is idle. Where is the setting for it?

Taisanica, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    System and Compressed memory — is this nVidia?

System and Compressed Memory might be a trigger or a flag for your issue. That said this process is not running at all on my computer. Possibly because I don't have fastboot enabled.

Of the reported cases of this same issue that I've browsed through, many of the ones who successfully got rid of it did so by replacing or repairing the video drivers. Your driver may well be current but that doesn't also guarantee that it is correctly installed
    or that some other software isn't interfering with it.

Simple tests.. disable fastboot if it is running and check if problem persists

.. uninstall the video driver to see if the problem persists without it.

Ralf_G, Mar 16, 2016
  4. What is System and compressed memory ?

MilesAhead, Mar 16, 2016
  5. subi Win User
    What is System and compressed memory ? [​IMG]

Great system

6. @subi it must be an old Firefox. Every time I even open an empty tab with FF x64 45.0 my CPU meter jumps up near 100%. *Smile The 32 bit portable build does no better. *Sad

MilesAhead, Mar 17, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    Dear Chocolade,

You are conflating 2 issues here. The purpose of memory compression is to reduce the amount of paging (i.e. writing to disk).

How it works is described in @MilesAhead link above but basically the idea is that the OS will instead of writing information to disk when some RAM is needed use spare CPU cycle to compress it first.

This is almost always a good thing unless you have a really old CPU or are running some CPU heavy task at the same time.

What is doesn't do is make your I/O worse - it reduces it at the expense of CPU use.

Post a picture of your Task Manager screen sorted by disk access but 6.1 MB/s should not be an issue.

Please update your system specs as well.

There are many issues with 100% disk use with practically no I/O but I don't really have a solution without more details..

See:
    hard drive - Windows 8 extremely high disk usage and slow IO - Super User
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083595
    100% disk usage in Windows 10. Help? - Windows 10 Forums

for example.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What is System and compressed memory ?

1. What is System and compressed memory ? - Similar Threads - System compressed memory

2. memory compression

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  3. memory compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  4. memory compression

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System and compressed memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System and compressed memory: System and compressed memory is not showing in task manager, is it because I have enough RAM? Thanks. 62163
  6. System and compressed memory high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and compressed memory high CPU usage: Hi, recently the process called System and compressed memory started acting up, when I'm browsing demanding sites CPU usage spikes to 20%-40% causing my sounds to get crackles and freeze for a split second. It's extremely annoying and was not happening before. It started this...
  7. System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage)

System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage): Hello there, I am here today as I have had a problem with System and Compressed Memory since I installed Windows 10 back in December of 2015. Now keep in mind, this isn't a normal issue, as I have yet to actually find anything in regards to what to do to fix this. (I have...
  8. System and Compressed Memory

System and Compressed Memory: Is there any way to stop the "system and compressed memory" from happening? I am so annoyed by it's constant 90% Memory usage! I used to have only 8 GB of RAM and it would use 7GB out of the whole 8GB. I recently upgraded to 16GB and everything was fine. System and Compressed...
  9. Poor system performance with memory compression

Poor system performance with memory compression: So, I'm having a hard time being convinced that memory compression (aka. Superfetch) is designed to improve system performance, because ever since I upgraded to windows 10, it's been doing the exact opposite. Now, I'm one of those guys who likes to leave their system on...
  10. High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory

High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory: Hello everyone , well, for a while I 'm having problems with locking while I surf the internet after five minutes browsing the facebook the browser begins to catch and is impossible to do anything , I noticed that this occurs when the system and compressed memory reaches 15%...