Windows 10: What is the best desktop search replacement for windows 10?

Discus and support What is the best desktop search replacement for windows 10? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; UtraSearch for... FileSeek for something else! And it goes on and on in a spin until realizing if you want "Every Thing" you have to go with "Every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jaburmester, Sep 17, 2015.

1. What is the best desktop search replacement for windows 10?

UtraSearch for... FileSeek for something else! And it goes on and on in a spin until realizing if you want "Every Thing" you have to go with "Every One"! Want an app to search networks? Attached to File Explorer? There's no "One for All" to be found at least for the time being that will cover all the bases.

You have to figure out just what you want to see by looking at what each one has to offer and go from there. Fortunately most are fast to go and fast to remove until you find the one or two best suited for your needs.

Night Hawk, Sep 18, 2015
  2. Cliff S New Member

The only warning I can give about these 3rd party search tools is, there is a reason that Microsoft doesn't include a lighter weight MBR search tool... It does show EVERYTHING including WinSxS(Windows Side by Side) and shared libraries, and if you delete some of these you can
    What is the best desktop search replacement for windows 10? [​IMG]
    your system.

What is the best desktop search replacement for windows 10? [​IMG]

So be very careful with such tools.

Cliff S, Sep 18, 2015
  3. That can be seen to easily enough by simply unchecking the "Hide all protected system files" option in the view tab of the folder options in Explorer. Once in view in any explorer window you can manage to do the wrong thing fast enough! "Hey what are these useless files doing at the root of C taking up space? Time to clean some of those .... " Oops! Goober Alert! System crash!

Here I simply grabbed the first two as non web fast alternatives for the Quick Launch type tool bar as well as pinning one of them. That's for those times when you can't find a file you know you saved in a particular folder yet not seen when browsing the same in an explorer window. When going to resave again you see the prompt about overwriting what you couldn't find. That's when Explorer fails to refresh immediately afterwards.

Night Hawk, Sep 18, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

What is the best desktop search replacement for windows 10?

You can exclude it from the options menu.

topgundcp, Sep 18, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    I don't need to, but it should be set that way as default for when less advanced users install it*Wink. It can happen like Night Hawk said:

Cliff S, Sep 18, 2015
  6. +1 for 'Everything'

I really cant live without this one.

Listary looks interesting, may give it a try *Smile

RamboMcMutNutts, Sep 18, 2015
  7. I saw Listary among the others at one site but am not in any rush here to grab each one that comes along. I put both Everything and UltraSearch on and found either will do the task here while I might simply stay with the Everything app.

Night Hawk, Sep 18, 2015
  8. izzzey Win User

izzzey, Oct 21, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Mine is still Everything Still my favorite......

OldMike65, Oct 21, 2015
  10. I have a couple of them on here including Everything and never use them unless it's to locate a file some 3rd party if not Windows puts on. As far as the stuff I download as well as image files, video captures, pc game recording even at times, etc. I have separate folders or a main folder with several subs to keep things categorized.

Night Hawk, Oct 21, 2015
  11. I like Everything too, but I am also looking for a desktop search like the old Google Desktop search engine that indexes file contents. My Windows 10 installation used to do this but now it does not search local files, folders, or contents; it just finds applications and Bing results.

I even tried installing the Windows desktop search version 3.01 for XP, but as expected it would not install on Windows 10.

Windows 10 search does not work for me, but Explorer does find files and folders at least. I will use Everything until I come up with something better.

Cryogenius, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the best desktop search replacement for windows 10? - Similar Threads - best desktop search

2. What are the best Windows Search configuration options that allow me to achieve the best...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the best Windows Search configuration options that allow me to achieve the best...: Hy,I have an old PC refurbished is an HP 6000 PRO SFF:CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E7500 @ 2.93Ghz;8Gb DDR3 2x2GB +2x2GB;SSD SATA WD Green 2.5 de 480 GB;When I upgraded from an HDD to a SATA SSD, a guy from Microsoft suggested I disable the SYSMAIN service and keep Windows search...
  3. What are the best Windows Search configuration options that allow me to achieve the best...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are the best Windows Search configuration options that allow me to achieve the best...: Hy,I have an old PC refurbished is an HP 6000 PRO SFF:CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E7500 @ 2.93Ghz;8Gb DDR3 2x2GB +2x2GB;SSD SATA WD Green 2.5 de 480 GB;When I upgraded from an HDD to a SATA SSD, a guy from Microsoft suggested I disable the SYSMAIN service and keep Windows search...
  4. What are the best Windows Search configuration options that allow me to achieve the best...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Best replacement for Instant Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best replacement for Instant Backup: I used to use a program called Instant Backup, a paid program that did everything I wanted. I could schedule daily, weekly, and monthly backups and I managed to use it even on Windows 10 until I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and the program refused to install. I first...
  6. what will be the best antivirus for windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    what will be the best antivirus for windows 10: thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/what-will-be-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10/434a0c4d-5f73-4738-895a-604fbcb6edbc
  7. best Replacement for Windows Live Mail

in Browsers and Email
    best Replacement for Windows Live Mail: What is the most similar, free email client app, to replace Windows Live Mail? Thunderbird is useable, but quite complicated compared to WLM which has the menu bar along the top. Mail in Windows 10 doesn't allow emails to be dragged/dropped to desktop, and a few other...
  8. What is the best email client for Windows 10 in replacing WLM?

in Browsers and Email
    What is the best email client for Windows 10 in replacing WLM?: As you guys might experienced in the last couple of months, Windows Live Mail is becoming a mail client which is not performing as it was like before. Named that WLM is hard to sync with the MS server is one major issue and required to reset or re-register many times as new...
  9. Whats the Best Windows 10 Cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whats the Best Windows 10 Cleaner?: I want to know whats the best win 10 cleaners to clean out my system for performance and speed. Let me know. 75967
  10. What's the best Windows 10 Build?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the best Windows 10 Build?: What's the best Windows 10 Build? This is what I got ; [img] 39990