Windows 10: What is the Best Hard Drive?

Discus and support What is the Best Hard Drive? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Single drives take up less space and weigh less than multiple drives (weighing less is huge at my age). You also need to have room for the backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 21, 2015.

1. What is the Best Hard Drive?

Single drives take up less space and weigh less than multiple drives (weighing less is huge at my age). You also need to have room for the backup drives for each drive you have (I have a total of 12 HDDs for backing up the three HDDs in my desktop machine).

Full recovery from a large drive isn't all that difficult as long as you have a good backup scheme in place; it just takes longer. I keep two backup HDDs at home per HDD installed in my computer (and two more in my safe deposit box at my credit union; I also use Carbonite to backup data online). I could recover data from a full 8GB drive in roughly 24 hours. If I became impatient waiting for a data recovery from one of my backup drives (I have a built in hot swap bay for that), I could just plug the second backup drive into an external dock and work from that while the restoration takes place.

Once the initial backup has been made, it doesn't take any longer (and very well may take less time) to backup a large data drive than several smaller ones as long as one uses the correct backup scheme. Example: a folder/file syncing program (I like FreeFileSync but there are others available) is much faster and far more efficient than using imaging for backing up data only. It wouldn't be necessary to backup individual folders separately since the folder/file syncing program is capable of restoring partially missing data. Imaging is more suitable for backing up the OS and programs.

Intel has predicted 10TB SSDs within two years. While I'm not holding breath waiting for that, I find the prospect of much larger SSDs than what we have now to be extremely exciting for a data junkie like me. Imagine a single 2.5" 8TB SSD being able to replace the two 2TB and one 4 TB 3.5" spinners I have in my case now. Not only would the SSD be way lighter than the spinners, I could move into a smaller and lighter case.

Lady Fitzgerald, Jan 22, 2015

2. This isn't anything new, Seagates have been a problematic hard drive for me personally and for several others I know. I ALWAYS hate seeing Newegg ads for hard drives and they're ALWAYS Seagates.... *Mad

Hitachis and Western Digital drives are pretty good.

Coke Robot, Jan 23, 2015
  3. The Newegg ads are not always for Seagates, just usually. Late last year, the hen fruit company put the WD 4TB Blacks on sale for $200 several times (I snagged one then) and again just this past week. They also put the 4TB Greens on sale late last year and I snatched up five of them.

Lady Fitzgerald, Jan 23, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

What is the Best Hard Drive?

I've found that both Seagate and WD are very good HDD's. Each company will build a bad drive but that's to be expected in any mfg process. I just avoid any other drive maker.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 23, 2015
  5. Uh, there really aren't any others to speak of anymore.

Lady Fitzgerald, Jan 23, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Uh, there really aren't any others to speak of anymore. True but there are still members who use Hitachi. Bleck!!

BunnyJ, Jan 23, 2015
  7. adamf Win User
    But you will find it far faster and (possibly) cheaper to use multiple smaller drives if you are using HDD. and.... and... and..
    have you ever tried to recover 10TB of data? Drive failures happen. Not 10TB, no. Not even a 5% of that - neither for work or pleasure.

EDIT: though I can tell you (I just checked it) to restore 370GB from tape last time took just over 18 minutes. To back it up (every day) takes slightly under 5 minutes.

Restoring 10TB would take a while I guess.

adamf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What is the Best Hard Drive?

1. What is the Best Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - Best Hard Drive

2. What is the best way to organize photos using one drive with and external hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best way to organize photos using one drive with and external hard drive backup: I have thousands of pictures from around the world in different file formats. I currently have pictures on several external hard drives and computers and I want to get them all organized. my current plan is to transfer all pictures from all computers and external hard drives...
  3. What is the best way to organize photos using one drive with and external hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the best way to organize photos using one drive with and external hard drive backup: I have thousands of pictures from around the world in different file formats. I currently have pictures on several external hard drives and computers and I want to get them all organized. my current plan is to transfer all pictures from all computers and external hard drives...
  4. What is the best free hard drive recovery software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the best free hard drive recovery software: What is the best free hard drive recovery software that can recover permanently deleted files. And will the recovery process hurt the hard drive in any way?...
  5. Best hard drive health software?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best hard drive health software?: Is Hard Disk Sentinel the best overall? I have an SSD which had a lot of corrupt files, and I'm not sure if there's an underlying issue with this brand new Samsung QVO 870 SSD or if the file corruption was a consequence of something else. I downloaded Hard Disk Sentinel,...
  6. Best hard drive health software?

in Windows 10 Support
    Best hard drive health software?: Is Hard Disk Sentinel the best overall? I have an SSD which had a lot of corrupt files, and I'm not sure if there's an underlying issue with this brand new Samsung QVO 870 SSD or if the file corruption was a consequence of something else. I downloaded Hard Disk Sentinel,...
  7. What is the best hard drive for Surface pro 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the best hard drive for Surface pro 10?: What is the best hard drive for Surface pro 10? submitted by /u/JulietClarkeBio [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jpr5xt/what_is_the_best_hard_drive_for_surface_pro_10/
  8. What’s my best option to back up my entire hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What’s my best option to back up my entire hard drive?: I want to be able to have a mirror backup of my entire drive thats is fully accessible / functional as a file backup, unlike the corrupted files you usually find from windows shadow copies. Preferably something I can backup on an external, what’s the best way to go about...
  9. Whats the best way to deal with bad sectors in hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Whats the best way to deal with bad sectors in hard drive?: My hard drive used to have a bit of freeze on opening some of the files so I decided to run a chkdsk /f via CMD. That converted my disc to dynamic somehow and it wouldnt even let me boot to windows. Anyway after installing EaseUS partition master I was able to turn my hard...
  10. Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?: Would appreciate your help! *Confused Have a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop (one morning the laptop with Windows 7 upgraded itself to Windows 10). Would like to use Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of its hard drive. Have no clue whether I need an image or whether I...