Windows 10: What is the best sequence to Reistall Windows 10?

Discus and support What is the best sequence to Reistall Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there. For the last three months I have had Windows 10 problems, principally that I lost the ‘windows’ button and it’s activities, but also file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MrChips, Feb 28, 2016.

1. MrChips Win User

What is the best sequence to Reistall Windows 10?

Hi there.
    For the last three months I have had Windows 10 problems, principally that I lost the ‘windows’ button and it’s activities, but also file saving problems.
    I had purchased a new PC with Windows10 64 bit Home already installed, assuming that all would be 'hunky dory'.
    However that has not proved to be the case.. . . so . . . .
    I purchased a recovery stick from HP and have tried to re-install twice.

Neither time has been entirely successful. With different reasons each time.

Can anyone point me to a primer which can recommend the optimal sequence to reinstall printers, network, Norton, Office 365 etc. ... and perhaps the best times to make a recovery disc etc.
    A bit of a long-shot, asking this, but if anyone could help, that would be great.

:)

MrChips, Feb 28, 2016

2. What if I need to reistall the free windows 10 .

What if I need to reinstall the free Windows 10 say after a problem that needs me to take this action . As it is with my Windows 7 I have a disc and a key code so I can reload my Window at any time I wish. Has there been an answer to this issue please.

Dk

DennisKeane, Feb 28, 2016
  3. David Rushing, Feb 28, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Others are better qualified than me to answer this question - But if you have a WORKING system TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU START (Caps intended).

There's loads of free backup programs out there so no excuse.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 28, 2016
  5. Johannes Win User
    I have read somewhere that an anti virus program could be the culprit corrupting files during installing programs.

Johannes, Feb 28, 2016
  6. MrChips Win User
    Thanks Jimbo. I have put all my files and needed 'stuff' on an external drive .. so I should be OK there.
    I really do want to have a completely clean PC to start off this time.
    A completely reformatted HD would be my ideal.

MrChips, Feb 28, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Personally, I would not install any extra anti-virus programs beyond Windows Defender. But if you are going to, then that would be the last item I install.

I go with:

1. Make a system image backup using Macrium Reflect.
    2. Export device drivers using dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\DriversW10 (the destination path will be where you store them).
    3. Clean install vanilla Windows 10 - deleting all partitions on the drive that I am installing to and installing Windows to the unallocated space.
    4. Install network drivers if I have to, connect to my home network, connect to the internet, let Windows 10 run all updates.
    5. Look in Device Manager for "unknown devices". First attempt to upgrade drivers by searching for updates, which includes online.
    6. Any devices that don't have drivers online, then use the browse my computer option and point it to the saved drivers from step 2.
    7. Upgrade video and audio card drivers from the manufacturer.
    8. Install major programs.
    9. Install anti-virus (if you want to).
    10. Do system scan with your anti-virus (if you want to).
    11. Minor tweaks.

NavyLCDR, Feb 28, 2016
  8. MrChips Win User

Thanks,
    When I use the HP USB installation drive, it automatically puts in McAfee as a virus protection. Hopefully their USB drive will be able to withstand that.

MrChips, Feb 28, 2016
  9. MrChips Win User
    Hi Navy. Thnaks.
    Just the sort of advice I was looking for.
    Is the free version of Macrium Reflect the version I Need?
    I will need to investigate how to do the dism thing in point 2.! though!

I really appreciate your assistance.

I won't mark the thread as closed yet as I will probably need to get back to you to give you effusive thanks.

EDITED:
    I just looked up dism .... should I run sfc/scannow first!

MrChips, Feb 28, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you are going to use the HP recovery media - then the first step that I would do before anything else would be to uninstall McAfee.

NavyLCDR, Feb 28, 2016
  11. MrChips Win User
    When I run the HP USB reinstall stick .... HP include McAfee in their unstoppable sequence of events. They give me no option to bypass it .. unfortunately.

MrChips, Feb 28, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Correct. And after the restore is complete, the first step that I would do is uninstall it.

But, also, instead of doing a full restore using the HP restore disks, I would do a clean install of vanilla Windows 10 using a Windows 10 install USB or DVD created from the Media Creation Tool.
    Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Feb 28, 2016
  13. MrChips Win User

Cheers Navy. I just investigated how do do this on the Internet.
    one question though.
    The USB stick HP sent me is stamped with both 'HP'. And 'Microsoft'. so hopefully it should be 'good' and perhaps also include any special drivers that HP need to properly run their PC.
    Is that a valid thought of mine please?
    Having said that, the two reinstalls that I have tried haven't been much cop!
    Perhaps the more basic the download, the less problems I will have.
    I have just sent off to Maplin for an SSD drive, so I will have time to organise what I want to do.
    Thank for your advice.

MrChips, Feb 28, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    The HP restore USB will contain all the extra programs that manufacturers like to include. Some are nothing more than advertisements for full programs you must pay for if you want them. Some are programs that update the manufacturer's drivers and utilities.

Sometimes those included extra programs don't run very well in Windows 10 because a lot of them were originally written for Windows 7 or 8 and just carried over to Windows 10. In all cases the extra programs will take up space and some operating resources. Most of us here have little to no use for the manufacturer added programs and utilities. When I buy a new off-the-shelf computer they last maybe 24 hours before I do a clean, vanilla, Windows 10 only install.

As I stated in my recommended steps - the first two steps ensure that you have what you need to go back to the manufacturer's software and/or drivers if you need to. Create an image of the factory software and export the third party device drivers before proceeding to delete all the partitions on the hard drive to do a clean vanilla Windows 10 install to. Since you have the manufacturers restore USB you really don't need to create an image of the factory software unless you have added your own programs that you might need to restore. Exporting the device drivers will allow you to reinstall them if you do a clean vanilla Windows 10 install. Vanilla Windows 10 means only the Windows 10 install media downloaded from Microsoft - not the manufacturer's restore USB.

The new SSD drive will be the perfect time to start with a vanilla Windows 10 clean install because you will already have a backup image of the previous software on the hard drive you will be upgrading from. When you are ready to restore or install Windows 10 to the SSD, it is recommended that the SSD be the only drive connected to the computer. After you have it running Windows 10 by itself, then you can reconnect the old hard drive for storage space.

NavyLCDR, Feb 28, 2016
  15. MrChips Win User
    Absoluley excellent.
    I think that I now have all the advice that I need.
    Many thanks.
    Is there a way that I can donate something to this site in appreciation?

MrChips, Feb 28, 2016
Thema:

1. What is the best sequence to Reistall Windows 10? - Similar Threads - best sequence Reistall

2. What is Windows 10 update sequence?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is Windows 10 update sequence?: What is Windows 10 update sequence? I restarted using a computer that had been idle since 2017. It is at version 1607. Update started a series of updates that included some very recent updates., the last of which failed. It is now trying the 2018-04 update. hopefully it...
  3. What is Windows 10 update sequence?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is Windows 10 update sequence?: What is Windows 10 update sequence? I restarted using a computer that had been idle since 2017. It is at version 1607. Update started a series of updates that included some very recent updates., the last of which failed. It is now trying the 2018-04 update. hopefully it...
  4. What is Windows 10 update sequence?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. reistalling windows

reistalling windows: my pc was slow a bit so i was reinstalling windows to clear junk files using a 32 gb usb and it is stuck at recovering this pc 30% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reistalling-windows/2f7a9be0-ac66-4937-8670-514749924f45
  6. what will be the best antivirus for windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    what will be the best antivirus for windows 10: thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/what-will-be-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10/434a0c4d-5f73-4738-895a-604fbcb6edbc
  7. What is the Sequence for Windows 10 Updates and the expected duration?

What is the Sequence for Windows 10 Updates and the expected duration?: Someone wrote: Microsoft has transformed what was once a straightforward procedure into a seemingly complicated process that varies according to whether you have Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro or an enterprise or education edition. As a result, there have been lots of...
  8. Whats the Best Windows 10 Cleaner?

Whats the Best Windows 10 Cleaner?: I want to know whats the best win 10 cleaners to clean out my system for performance and speed. Let me know. 75967
  9. Whats the best Defragger for Windows 10?

Whats the best Defragger for Windows 10?: My son has a laptop and he uses the built in Windows 10 defragger. Constantly says 0% defrag. I just installed and ran Piriform Defraggler. It says 9% fragged. (10 gig+) and it needs 24 hrs to defrag. I have no idea which one is correct, but is there a better one that I can...
  10. What's the best Windows 10 Build?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the best Windows 10 Build?: What's the best Windows 10 Build? This is what I got ; [img] 39990