Windows 10: What is the best way to auto-set some registry keys during install?

Discus and support What is the best way to auto-set some registry keys during install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; No need for third party tools, editing registry on an offline image is pretty easy: DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image Windows 10 Tutorials... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by satysin, Apr 4, 2018.

1. satysin Win User

What is the best way to auto-set some registry keys during install?

Thanks Kari. That is quite a bit of work for what I hoped would be a lot simpler. Not sure I can be bothered doing all that. Think I will stick to just manually running a batch file when I first login with the changes I want to me *chuckle

satysin, Apr 4, 2018
  2. satysin Win User

So I have a few registry keys I would like to set (via reg add) during Windows install. What is the best way to go about doing this? Ideally I would like them set during the first post-install launch (OOBE?).

I have been looking at unattended install options and it is obviously possible to do what I want but it seems quite complicated and I am unclear if I need to automate the whole install process or not?

What I want to do is set the PreventDeviceEncryption registry entry to true so that BitLocker doesn't kick in automatically. I have an OPAL SED and would prefer to avoid BitLocker if possible.

Many thanks!

:)

satysin, Apr 9, 2018
  3. What is the best way to get around the Calendar not having a week view? It's not user friendly.

Man I hope so. Been bemoaning the lack of a week view since around Windows Mobile 5 or so. Not sure why it went away even then. Looking at the calendar apps in the Marketplace there does some to be the ability to reach into calendar data allowing for a
    third party solution from SBSH, or SPB or Web IS, or someone.

Sven Johannsen, Apr 9, 2018
  4. EricLive Win User

EricLive, Apr 9, 2018
  5. Are you doing this for a business? How are you going about installing the operating system?

If you are using System Center Configuration Manager or MDT, you could just inject a PowerShell script into the deployment package and have the deployment/image run the registry PowerShell injection script.

If you are doing this for a home reason or local business, I would look at setting up a PowerShell to be ran at first startup. You could go about editing your Windows install to do this or more ideally just run the script when setting up the PC.

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 10, 2018
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Download WinTookit: Downloads - WinCert.net Forums
    Run and click on Intermediate->WIM Manager then browse for Install.wim from the installation media (USB/SSD/HD). Click On Mount
    Click on Advanced->WIM Registry Editor
    Import the reg file(s) into the registry hive. Save Change(s)

What is the best way to auto-set some registry keys during install? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 10, 2018
  7. satysin Win User
    Thanks for the replies.

This is just for my home computer. I got a new laptop with an OPAL SED but Windows insists on automatically enabling BitLocker as well!

satysin, Apr 10, 2018
  8. Kari Win User

Thema:

1. What is the best way to auto-set some registry keys during install? - Similar Threads - best auto set

2. What's this registry key for?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's this registry key for?: All of a sudden, this registry key called Imagination Technologies popped up. I didn't install anything new, so what could this be used for?w https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-this-registry-key-for/16240cc4-7048-4c1c-ba52-0cfaf36494e3
  3. What's this registry key for?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's this registry key for?: All of a sudden, this registry key called Imagination Technologies popped up. I didn't install anything new, so what could this be used for?w https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-this-registry-key-for/16240cc4-7048-4c1c-ba52-0cfaf36494e3
  4. What is this registry key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is this registry key?: I found this while searching through the registry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-this-registry-key/2fa2391c-7926-448c-992a-49ca3f061a8a
  5. What is this registry key?

What is this registry key?: I found this while searching through the registry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-this-registry-key/2fa2391c-7926-448c-992a-49ca3f061a8a
  6. What is the best way of installing drivers for windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best way of installing drivers for windows 10: I'm confused. How do I actually install drivers in Windows 10? Does windows install them automatically for me? Or should I go to my manufacturer website and download drivers from them and disable device installation service?...
  7. What is the best way of installing drivers for windows 10

What is the best way of installing drivers for windows 10: I'm confused. How do I actually install drivers in Windows 10? Does windows install them automatically for me? Or should I go to my manufacturer website and download drivers from them and disable device installation service?...
  8. What is the best way of installing drivers for windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. What's the best way to make a backup of C drive Windows 10 installation and settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best way to make a backup of C drive Windows 10 installation and settings?: I want to install some third party Windows 10 themes but I've heard that when there's a Windows update, it can make the Windows unusable. So, is there a foolproof way to backup C drive Windows 10 installation and settings so that in case of a problem, I can quickly just...
  10. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...