Windows 10: What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

Discus and support What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is my first time here so if I need to elaborate on anything or provide more information I'll be happy to. I'm trying to set up a dual boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by johnson pw, Jul 26, 2016.

1. What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

This is my first time here so if I need to elaborate on anything or provide more information I'll be happy to. I'm trying to set up a dual boot environment on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've done this one other systems in the past enough to where it had become pretty routine. Trying to accomplish that this time has me at a complete loss of how to proceed.

This is my current system:
    Windows 10 Home
    Intel Core i3-3217U
    PNY 480Gb SSD (this was swapped in as the original HDD was going bad)

I went about how I had done in the past and went into Computer Management > Disk Management to partition off a significant amount of free space for the second OS.

What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot? [​IMG]

What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot? [​IMG]

Seeing only ~38Gb available when the drive has ~267Gb of free space sent me searching the internet to find out where the extra space was going.

This lead to several sources that suggested where Windows was storing pagefile.sys was the issue that kept the full amount of free space from being available during volume shrinking. Several sources again suggested that turning off virtual memory, removing restore points, and deleting pagefile.sys would free up this space. It turned out not freeing up the space. So I reverted those changes.

I thought well maybe I could backup the drive and use Windows restoration feature to force it to reformat to the size I'd like (while retaining enough space to fit the data). I backed up and made a system image using "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)". I then used Microsoft's media creation tool to create a bootable USB so that I could enter repair mode and force the drive to be reformatted in the way that I'd like to achieve. After entering the repair mode both my backup and system image were detected but the SSD wasn't. (Several linux installers can't see it and neither does gparted)

After this I'm really at a loss for how to proceed to get the SSD in the state that I'd like.

:)

johnson pw, Jul 26, 2016
  2. Entegy Win User

What is the best way to encrypt and sync a text file with DropBox?

THen the phone will wait until the next time it has a connection.

Entegy, Jul 26, 2016
  3. mlgray Win User
    What is the best way to encrypt and sync a text file with DropBox?

I'm trying Vault right now. It's less expensive than eWallet Go! and has a way to sync to my PC. I don't have the desktop part yet, so I don't know how well it works yet.

eWallet Go! sounds like the right solution. I don't really need to edit the file on my PC. I'm used to entering all this information on my phone and in most cases it's the only device available to me when I acquire the information. So I just need to have
    it encrypted and saved to DropBox. I also need to be able to add or edit and then save locally on the phone when I cannot get a connection and then be able to sync once I can get the connection. I don't see specifically that eWallet Go! does that but it sounds
    to me like that that is how it works.

I'll see how Vault works, but I'll be a little more willing to take a chance on eWallet Go! with your recommendation if Vault doesn't work or I decide that I really want it on DropBox. Having it on my PC means that there is only one place that I can sync
    (or I have to have it on my work and home PC and deal with keeping those files in sync). So I might try eWallet Go! anyway.

mlgray, Jul 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

Stop trying to use Windows disk management and use MiniTool Partition Wizard instead:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
    That will solve your problem.

Adjusting the boot partition (partition that contains the OS that was booted into) will probably cause MiniTool to ask you to restart the computer to perform the actions. That's fine - it's never failed me. Do forget to click the Apply button though.

NavyLCDR, Jul 26, 2016
  5. x509 Win User
    +1 for MiniTool Partition Wizard. I just partitioned my SSD so I could install a second Win 10 partition. I might add that NavyLCDR's response to my question was completely on the mark.

x509, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

1. What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot? - Similar Threads - best partition SSD

2. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...: Hi Greg,This post carries on from my last Question at...What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? And Greg was the guy who helped last timeIt's been a while since my last post, but I now have the following problem, which I hope you can help me with. This is...
  3. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...: Hi Greg,This post carries on from my last Question at...What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? And Greg was the guy who helped last timeIt's been a while since my last post, but I now have the following problem, which I hope you can help me with. This is...
  4. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and...

Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and...: Hello,i used a couple of month now Win10 Home and Ubuntu 20.04 with dual boot on one ssd partitioned 250gb each. Every Time i started my Notebook Grub Manager asked me what OS to start. Despite some Win10 Clock Issues - i had to sync the Win10 time on every startup - it...
  6. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?

What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?: Hi Your advice please: I currently have a dual-boot system, and its HDD has 2 partitions, which are: GUIP/GPT one for W7 & the other for W10.The HDD is running hot, so I've decided to replace the W10 OS and put it onto a new SSD.And for now, I’ll leave W7 on the HDD, but I...
  7. what is the best way to recreate a missing efi partition on a small ssd with windows 10?

what is the best way to recreate a missing efi partition on a small ssd with windows 10?: After several failed attempts to download 10/18 Windows 10 to a new Intel Nuc..I somehow lost my EFI partition, so, I can only boot up with an external boot drive. I'venow installed current windows but, I see that I have no efi partition. How can I safely recreate one?...
  8. What's the best way to image W10 partitions for backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What's the best way to image W10 partitions for backup?: Hi -- I am looking for a good imaging program that will back up individual partitions in W10 -- including the boot partition. Preferably it's free but doesn't have to be. I had previously tried Aomei Backupper with W8.1 but just had a lot of problems restoring from image...
  9. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?: Hi, I have a PC running Windows xp x32 only at the moment. I want to end up with it running Windows XP (as default) and Windows 10 x64 as a dual boot. What's the best way? 70879
  10. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?: Hi, I have a PC running Windows 7 only at the moment. I want to end up with it running Windows XP (as default) and Windows 10 as a dual boot. What's the best way? I have an unused XPx64 installation disc and I have used "Windows 10 CreationToolx64.exe" (from MS):...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is best way to utilize boot ssd in windows 10