Windows 10: What is the correct Maximum Processor Frequency Setting

Discus and support What is the correct Maximum Processor Frequency Setting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was looking at the power settings and saw the Maximum and Minimum Processor Frequency Settings were both at 0 MHz which is the default setting when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JWalker, Jun 7, 2017.

1. JWalker Win User

What is the correct Maximum Processor Frequency Setting

I was looking at the power settings and saw the Maximum and Minimum Processor Frequency Settings were both at 0 MHz which is the default setting when Windows 10 was installed. The computer is running fine and fast but I wonder what the best setting would be? Thanks.

:)

JWalker, Jun 7, 2017

2. I need to confirm correct power settings and identify network cable drop out for my desktop PC

Hi Ol' Codger,

The report showing on the screenshot is correct. Setting the maximum processor frequency value to 0 MHz is equals to unlimited and 100% minimum processor state means that the system is always utilizing the processor to its full potential regardless of activity
    happening in the system.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Justine Pel, Jun 7, 2017
  3. Darshan J Win User
    (Windows 10) Task Manager shows nearly doubled CPU speed values

Hi,

Provide us the below information to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Have you manually changed overclocking within BIOS settings?

The “Maximum speed” that is shown on the right is the frequency the processor advertises, as reported directly from the
    processor. However processors have the ability to use “turbo” states where it can temporarily run faster than its advertised maximum. Most modern processors will do this.

In addition, different algorithms are used to measure processor speed. For example, the algorithm used by Intel in its branded maximum speed is different than the algorithm used by Task Manager to directly measure the speed of
    the CPU. You can use other processor utilities, such as the Intel Processor Identification Utility or CPU-Z, for additional processor speed measurements.

So what you are seeing is likely a difference in calculation method – Windows is not running the CPU over the recommended frequency (unless you are manually overclocking the CPU within the BIOS/UEFI settings).

Also this should not impact your computer in terms of power consumption or less performance.

Get back to us if you need help on this query.

Darshan J, Jun 7, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @JWalker, *Smile

The correct setting is what works best for your needs.

The default setting of "0" is for no maximum limit.

Some folks may want to limit the processor frequency if for example they are having heating issues to prevent the processor from getting as hot.

Brink, Jun 7, 2017
  5. JWalker Win User
    Thanks Brink. I hoped that the answer was what you wrote. I will mark this thread as resolved. My reason for going into advanced power settings was to solve another issue which was very slow internet when running on the battery. I found the setting and changed it to maximum performance and solved the issue. Then I happened to look at all the other advanced power settings to make sure the processor, etc, were not slowed down when on the battery. I then saw the puzzling 0 MHz. Thanks again.

JWalker, Jun 7, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the correct Maximum Processor Frequency Setting - Similar Threads - correct Maximum Processor

2. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0": My laptop is a Lenovo X1 Carbon G10. I am trying to stop the fans from coming on frequently and cool the laptop down altogether. I have already:Set system cooling to PassiveSet maximum processor state to 50%Enabled Maximum processor frequency - here I am running into a...
  3. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options stays at "0": My laptop is a Lenovo X1 Carbon G10. I am trying to stop the fans from coming on frequently and cool the laptop down altogether. I have already:Set system cooling to PassiveSet maximum processor state to 50%Enabled Maximum processor frequency - here I am running into a...
  4. Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system: As you can see, maximum processor frequency won't work in my system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-processor-frequency-is-ignored-by-my/26801648-332f-4b43-ac9c-94a070bd5682
  5. Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system

Maximum processor frequency is ignored by my windows 10 system: As you can see, maximum processor frequency won't work in my system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-processor-frequency-is-ignored-by-my/26801648-332f-4b43-ac9c-94a070bd5682
  6. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly: Hi as described here I turned on maximum processor frequency in power options in Windows and set the max to 4 GHz; my CPU maxes out at ~4.8 GHz. If I resume from standby with the option enabled my CPU will throttle properly for a half minute or so then it will drop down from...
  7. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly

Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly: Hi as described here I turned on maximum processor frequency in power options in Windows and set the max to 4 GHz; my CPU maxes out at ~4.8 GHz. If I resume from standby with the option enabled my CPU will throttle properly for a half minute or so then it will drop down from...
  8. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited: Windows 10 Pro 1803. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited, although the "High performance" power plan is included and there are no limits. Sometimes when I change power plan and reboot PC, the limiter is remove, but not for long time.[ATTACH]...
  10. Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10: How to: Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 [img] Information Processor frequency specifies the operating frequency of the CPU's core(s) in MHz. The higher the frequency is for a CPU, the faster the processor is. You can specify the approximate maximum...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. maximum processor frequency setting

2. what is maximum frequency for cpu

3. max processor frequency setting