Windows 10: What is the D drive and its purpose?

Discus and support What is the D drive and its purpose? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What is a D drive in Windows 10 and its purpose?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobertHuegel1, Jul 20, 2018.

1. What is the D drive and its purpose?

What is a D drive in Windows 10 and its purpose?

:)

RobertHuegel1, Jul 20, 2018

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Jul 20, 2018
  3. Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 20, 2018
  4. What is the D drive and its purpose?

"D" drive is full on HP B&O with Win 10

Hello,

Based on the information you've provided, we understand that you're unable to access D: drive on your computer and would like to delete some files. For us to assist you better with this concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which D: drive are you referring to, internal or external drive?
    • What happens when you try to open D: drive, do you get any error message/error code?
    • If yes, would you please mention the error message/error code in the response post?
    • By the way, when did you start noticing this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest checking if you are able to open the drive through Disk management by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select Disk management option.

• Right click on the drive which is inaccessible and select Open option.

• Check if the changes are effective.

We're looking forward to your response.

Michelle Vil, Jul 20, 2018
Thema:

What is the D drive and its purpose?

1. What is the D drive and its purpose? - Similar Threads - drive purpose

2. How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?: I have been trying to follow this:Drive A does not show up possibly because it's not accessible.I could not figure out how to bring up drive A. I could see only C & D.Thank you for your help,Tawn Daniel...
  3. How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?: I have been trying to follow this:Drive A does not show up possibly because it's not accessible.I could not figure out how to bring up drive A. I could see only C & D.Thank you for your help,Tawn Daniel...
  4. How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. microsoft store shows my D: drive as an option but I cant select it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft store shows my D: drive as an option but I cant select it.: if I select it as the path for MS store, it just simply refuses to change it. I've changed the default path for new files in the windows settings, I've terminated and repaired the MS store application several times. I just got fallout 76 and I cant download it because MS...
  6. microsoft store shows my D: drive as an option but I cant select it.

microsoft store shows my D: drive as an option but I cant select it.: if I select it as the path for MS store, it just simply refuses to change it. I've changed the default path for new files in the windows settings, I've terminated and repaired the MS store application several times. I just got fallout 76 and I cant download it because MS...
  7. Is converting a USB Drive into a Dynamic Disk for the sole purpose of expanding the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is converting a USB Drive into a Dynamic Disk for the sole purpose of expanding the...: The question is self-explanatory. I saw something on Quora about having to convert a USB Drive into a Dymamic Disk to merge with the Internal Drive and wanted to know if it's safe to perform as such....
  8. Is converting a USB Drive into a Dynamic Disk for the sole purpose of expanding the...

Is converting a USB Drive into a Dynamic Disk for the sole purpose of expanding the...: The question is self-explanatory. I saw something on Quora about having to convert a USB Drive into a Dymamic Disk to merge with the Internal Drive and wanted to know if it's safe to perform as such....
  9. Connecting an external hard drive to my computer for backup purposes

Connecting an external hard drive to my computer for backup purposes: I have a computer with a 500GB , solid state hard drive and my OS is Windows 10. It's partioned for 3 drives: two are NTFS and one is FT32. I want to connect a Western Digital Passport Ultra to my computer for system backup purposes. WD recommends not to format into...
  10. Windows 10 does not recognise an external drive for backup purposes (file history)

Windows 10 does not recognise an external drive for backup purposes (file history): I've just bought a new laptop with an internal SSD and an external 1Tb HDD. Windows 10 does reflect the HDD in File Explorer, and the drive can be used for copying files to and from it. But when I try to set up a regular backup process, via "save backup copies of your files...