Windows 10: What is the default partition layout... a bit confused...

Discus and support What is the default partition layout... a bit confused... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I have just performed a clean install of Windows 10 from a bootable DVD, made from Media Creation Tool. Laptop with initial HP recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ivan Petrov, Jul 16, 2017.

1. What is the default partition layout... a bit confused...

Hi there,

I have just performed a clean install of Windows 10 from a bootable DVD, made from Media Creation Tool. Laptop with initial HP recovery stuff and OEM programs removed! During the installation I formatted only the primary partition C and now the laptop is running excellent. *Biggrin

I know, guys, there is plenty of information in this forum, as well as in the Web but it seems it is still not clear for me:

What should the default partition layout be? Is this Recovery partition the same so called Windows RE? I am only concerned about the location of the Recovery partition. I read somewhere that this partition must be after C, mine is the very first. So what is right?

Thanks you in advance...

What is the default partition layout... a bit confused... [​IMG]

What is the default partition layout... a bit confused... [​IMG]

p.s. Sorry if similar threat has already been posted and also if my English is not as expected.

:)

Ivan Petrov, Jul 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 upgrade failing - UEFI firmware

Hi -

I think your System partition is that big because your manufacturer placed the 250mb WinRe (used for onboard repairs) in it instead of on C which a typical Legacy install to MBR drive has. We can see this for sure if you'll right click on System partition
    in Disk Mgmt to assign a Drive Letter, then click Explore to see what's inside. You can create a picture using the Snipping tool, attach saved file using Attach Image button.

The WIndows 10 upgrade must need more space on that partition, or wants another 100mb for the hidden MSR partition. The specific layout error is not common so there isn't yet a workaround except as J Stuart suggested to increase the size of the System partition.
    This can be done pretty easily following
    How to extend partition easily with Partition Wizard - video help
    to borrow another 100-200mb from C.

It's also strange that your manfacturer chose to do an old-style Legacy install on a new-generation UEFI BIOS which is clearly confusing the WIndows 10 installer. But it should default to the Legacy layout so it might also help to take a look at the BIOS
    settings closer for UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS and especially and UEFI or Legacy first choices.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 16, 2017
  3. underrate icon missing

Setting the keyboard layout to English US would make type @ instead of ``. Is this what you want to achieve? If so change the default keyboard using Settings>Time and language>Language and Input. This article explains bit more: How to change your keyboard layout on Windows 10 PC

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 16, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

What is the default partition layout... a bit confused...

There are 2 recommended partition layouts. There is what Microsoft recommend OEM do and what they do themselves.

Microsoft recommend to OEM manufacturers that when you install Windows the Recovery partition is after C. The reason for this is so that if it is required to increase the size it isn't necessary to make another partition.
    OEM deployment of Windows 10 for desktop editions | Microsoft Docs

However the Windows installer team obviously didn't get the memo and does not follow this (sensible) advice. Windows still creates partition in the old fashioned way putting the recovery partition first when you do a clean install.

From a practical point of view it actually doesn't matter at all - you can put your partitions in any order you like. You can put your ESP first, last, or on a flash drive and drop the MSR and recovery partitions completely if you want. If you are concerned about your partition layout don't be - it is fine and what you should expect from a clean install.

If however you have a recovery partition that is (in future) too small to allow a bigger winre.wim then during an upgrade the Windows installer will create another bigger recovery partition after C as it can't extend the size of a partition before C. There are many threads on this forum with people having multiple recovery partitions because of this.

In short if you do a clean install you'll get what you show above. If you want to install Windows so it conforms to the recommendations Microsoft make for their partners you'll have to create the partitions yourself as described in the link above, or, alternatively, you can rearrange the order after using third party software and then re-register winre.wim in whatever partition it is now in.

5. Thank you lx07, brilliant answer. *Biggrin

Ivan Petrov, Jul 16, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    You are welcome. It is odd whoever writes the Windows installer doesn't follow the (clearly sensible) Microsoft advice.

MS is a big company and it is not a huge issue either way I guess *Smile

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What is the default partition layout... a bit confused...

1. What is the default partition layout... a bit confused... - Similar Threads - default partition layout

2. A bit confused here...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A bit confused here...: Hello everybody. I'll try to keep this one as short as possible, if you need any more details, just reply obviously. So, I installed on my Acer Nitro AN515-31 the Windows 10 Enterprise I like installing and uninstalling the OS, testing different stuff, yes, this is a test...
  3. Confused at the default brower

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Confused at the default brower: When I try to Google anything via Cortana, it always opens up MS Edge, even though it knows the default browser is Google Chrome. Can anyone help out? Thanks in advance!...
  4. What is the Default Owner of Data Partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the Default Owner of Data Partition?: Hi, I recently changed the Default Owner of my Data Partition (Data HP E:) into Administrators but I would like to know who the real Default Owner is. Is it System, or TrustedInstaller? My C Drive is TrustedInstaller and other Partitions are Administrators. I would like to...
  5. Confusing partitions on HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...
  6. Confusing partitions on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...
  7. Security concern and a bit confused

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security concern and a bit confused: I stumbled upon this Group policy setting that when I Disable the policy, the Admin Username will not be displayed in the UAC prompt when elevated from a Standard user account. Enumerate administrator accounts on elevation Meanwhile, I can select and see the Admin...
  8. System Restore....a bit confused

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore....a bit confused: I recently upgraded from Win 7 to 10, and when exploring my Control Panel, I found the category "Backup and Restore - Windows 7". I was actually looking for "System Restore" that I had in Win 7 Where could I find/set a restore point? Is it possible to set a restore point in...
  9. A bit confused....

in Windows 10 Support
    A bit confused....: If I were to restore from FCU to CU would I have to reinstall programs and software that I have already installed after the update? I know it says that any apps and drivers would need to be reinstalled but by apps do they mean Win10 apps from the store or actual programs?...
  10. Partition layout

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition layout: Hi guys Reinstalled Windows 10 on my new PC, then cloned the HDD to a new SSD and i wanted to check if the partiions and their layout is correct. Please see the photo attached and let me know if it's OK. Also, i'd like to create a recovery drive, should i have it on a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 default partition layout

2. default windows 7 partition layout