Windows 10: What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name

Discus and support What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What is the default name (in Network Connections Window) for the "TAP-Windows Adapter v9" adapter? Mine is named "Ethernet". Wondering if that was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TV2, Jul 9, 2018.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name

What is the default name (in Network Connections Window) for the "TAP-Windows Adapter v9" adapter?
    Mine is named "Ethernet".
    Wondering if that was changed from the Windows default.

:)

2. Uninstall TAP Windows Adapter V9

SOLVED

• Step 1: Download OpenVPN and install with ALL features from HERE : Downloads
    • Step 2: Open CMD.exe as administrator and go to the file location of "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin" or whatever that turns out to be.
    • Step 3: Follow the "Installing and uninstalling TAP-drivers" section from the website

HERE
      : https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/ManagingWindowsTAPDrivers
    • OR JUST READ BELOW
    • Step 4: How to get the <id> for the next section:
      • Go to Network Connections
      • Right click the TAP device you want to remove
      • Click Properties
      • Click Details
      • Using the drop-down menu, get the Hardware ID
        • This is usually something like: tapoes, tap0901 etc
    • Step 5: Remove those suckers by typing the following into CMD: tapinstall.exe remove (ID from step 4)
      • it should look something like this below:
    • Step 6: If you have devices that were not removed, repeat Steps 4-5 for all TAP adapters
    • Step 7: Restart!
    • Step 8: Uninstall OpenVPN and you're all set!

Supplementary information from the site:

Occasionally you may need play with different TAP-driver versions. In this case you can use devcon.exe from the Windows command-prompt. Below are some common commands you can run from an administrator Powershell
    or cmd.exe console:

List available TAP-Windows adapters:

List network interfaces (incl. TAP-Windows adapters):

View information about an installed driver:

Uninstall a TAP-driver:

To verify TAP-driver removal:

Install a new TAP-driver:

Update a TAP-driver:

Notes:

• <id> refers to the driver identifier which is tap0901 for OpenVPN 2.2+, but may be different in older/newer OpenVPN versions.
    • <something.inf> is typically OemWin2k.inf (old tap-drivers) or OemVista.inf (newer tap-drivers). You need to specify the full path to this file, e.g.C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemVista.inf.
    By installing multiple times, you will create additional TAP-Windows adapter instances, which can be used for multiple concurrent VPN tunnels. It is also possible to install using Control Panel -> Add New Hardware,
    and it is possible to uninstall using Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager.

CarlTutton, Jul 9, 2018
  3. rez001 Win User
    IP configuration not valid - interference from ethernet adapter?

Solution 1: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1or Windows 10

Step 1:

Go to Device Manager → Network adapters.
    Step 2:

Expand it (Network adapters).

Step 3:

Select your network adapter

Step 4:

Right click on your wireless network adapter or Ethernet adapter and then tap “Update Driver Software”.
    (in this case your network adopter is Ethernet adopter so tap your Ethernet adapter)
    Step 5:

Now on a new window you will need to click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.

What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name install-driver-software.png

Step 6:

Then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name pick-comptible-driver-software.png

Step 7:

Now choose the “Manufacturer’s drivers” from the list of two and then click next.

What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name select-network-adapter.png

Step 8:

After the completion of the process just restart your PC and check if the problem is solved or not. If not, goto solution 2.

What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name Limited-wi-fi-connection-solved.png

Solution 2: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1,windows10

Step 1:

Open command prompt.
    Step 2:

Just go on hitting the enter after typing the each command.
    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    Step 3:

Now to check if the settings are disabled type:
    netsh int tcp show global
    then hit enter.
    Step 4:

Now the thing left is just rebooting your system and just check if the problem is solved or not and just give feedback.*chuckle*Thumbs

rez001, Jul 9, 2018
  4. What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name

Wireless Network Connection adapter name.

Thank you for your reply.

My query is about the network adapter name change happened in Windows 10 from Windows 7.

In windows 10 it displays "Wi- Fi"

where as in Windows 7 it is "Wireless Network Connection".

Can we expect the adapter name as "Wi-Fi" in all Windows 10 machine, or there is any name change by default.

AnanthuAnilkumar, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name

1. What is the Default TAP-Windows Adapter name - Similar Threads - Default TAP Adapter

2. There are no TAP-Windows adapters installed on this system

in Windows 10 News
    There are no TAP-Windows adapters installed on this system: [ATTACH]TAP-Windows adapter is a network driver through which VPN services can allow your computer […] This article There are no TAP-Windows adapters installed on this system first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. TAP-Windows adapter v9 error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TAP-Windows adapter v9 error: My Surface Pro says there is a problem with my TAP-Windows adapter v9 but troubleshooter can't identify it. I have tried disabling and re-enabling it, but that hasn't worked. I also have not installed a VPN, so that is not the cause. I don't know how to fix this and I really...
  4. Unable to install TAP Adapters Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to install TAP Adapters Windows 10: [ATTACH] This is driving me insane. First time in many years I've had to ask for help. I use a variety of VPN programs for different things. But mostly zerotier and expressvpn which used their own network adapters. Something happened that caused them all to stop working...
  5. Windows 10 Tap-Adapter V9 not operational

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Tap-Adapter V9 not operational: Trying to use "OpenVPN." Tap-Adapter V9 Windows 10 x64 1909 reporting "unplugged cable." Network Tap-adapter properties reports "not operational." Have tried disabling and re-enabling; does not change anything. Removed Tap-adapter; then removed open OpenVPN....
  6. How to reinstall Tap-windows adapter V9?

How to reinstall Tap-windows adapter V9?: Today when I'm setting my VPN I mistakenly deleted my Tap-windows adapter V9 driver, so my vpn SSTap can no longer be used... How to reinstall it? note: I [uninstalled] not [disabled] the driver... So maybe I should ask where I can download one driver again... another...
  7. TUN/TAP Adapter - Windows 10

TUN/TAP Adapter - Windows 10: I have been chasing Community Forum Q&A for months as well as calling and emailing Customer Support with no resolution... I replaced my laptop several months ago and am now running Windows 10. I use it for work and am required to connect to a VPN. Unfortunately I get a...
  8. How do install an additional TAP-Windows adapter?

How do install an additional TAP-Windows adapter?: I have two hosts that I connect to using VPN. One uses OpenVPN, the other uses Watch Guard's Mobile VPN. I have one TAP-Windows adapter which works for either connection, but I would like to have both connections open concurrently. How do I install another adapter?...
  9. What are the default folder names in Outlook 2016?

in Browsers and Email
    What are the default folder names in Outlook 2016?: I'm going insane, and just spent 35 minutes in chat w/MS, to no avail. *Mad I am on a clean install of Win10, with a new install of Office 365 with Outlook. Earlier today, a MS tech remotely set up my 3 Outlook accounts. Then she tried to import merge data from my .pst...
  10. 13x TAP-Windows Adapter V9?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    13x TAP-Windows Adapter V9?: Hi guys, i really need help on this. Anyways, lets get started. So, as i recently wanted to check why my Gigabit Adapter does not take in Gigabit anymore since the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, i checked by in the Network Sharing Center, and went under the Adapter Settings....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. custom TAP-Windows name

2. nu vot