Windows 10: What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools?

Discus and support What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I don't fully understand the difference between some backup tools included in Windows 10. There is File History. I think this makes backup of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jerrythesurfer, Sep 15, 2015.

1. What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools?

I don't fully understand the difference between some backup tools included in Windows 10.

There is File History. I think this makes backup of my user data files. It allows me to retrieve an earlier version of a user file. It appears to keep many older versions. The history file is named aptly File History

Create a System Image. That appears to create an image of my Windows 10 that I can use to reimage my C;\ with Windows 10. According to the instructions I can re-image more than Windows but in my case I don't

On the File History page there is an option for System Image Backup. This opens a page that has links to:
    1) Backup Now
    2) Create System Image
    I am not sure what Backup Now does and exactly when I need such a backup given I already have File History and Create a System Image

Can anyone shed some light on all this?

I know there is 3rd party software for backup, etc. I am not looking for a recommendation, just an understanding for the several backup system that are part of Windows 10

Thanks

Thanks

:)

Jerrythesurfer, Sep 15, 2015
  2. Jessen P Win User

What is the difference between Backup & Restore (Win7), File History & Windows Image?

Hi Doug,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

Backup and restore is the technology used in Windows 7 or earlier machines to do a backup. With the advent of Windows 8 File History and Windows image came into existence. Although they do the same job but File History is more effective than backup.

If you have made backups using backup and restore in Windows 7, and if you want to restore it in Windows 10 then it will need backup and restore.

You can also make recovery disks in SD card, provided it has ample space.

Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Sep 15, 2015
  3. What is the difference between Backup and Restore and File History?

Hi,

Difference between Backup and Restore and File History.

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs,
    and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.

File History regularly backs up versions of your files in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the
    OneDrive files available offline on your PC. Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files. For example,
    if you want to restore an older version of a file (even if it wasn't deleted or lost), you can browse through a timeline, select the version you want, and restore it.

In previous versions of Windows, you could use Backup and Restore to back up your files or create and use a system image backup or repair disc.
    Windows 8.1 gives you choices about how you can recover your PC and back up your personal files.

For more information about setting up Windows Backup, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-your-files

Information on System Image can be found under this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-a-system-image

For File History:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-use-file-history

Also refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Keep us posted if you face any issues on Windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Sep 15, 2015
  4. joebilly Win User

What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools?

I have also been confused about this subject. For many years I have used "Backup now" on my computers once a week. And as far as I know this will also make a System Image and back up files and folders. I guess this should be enough?

Since I never had problems with my computers in the last 5-10 years I have had no need for restoring my files or systems, and therefore I'm unsure how this "Backup now" really works?

Any professionals that can give some advice and explain?

joebilly, Sep 16, 2015
  5. kimpe Win User
    I purchased a identical hgst drive that is in my laptop running windows 10 factory install. I want to duplicate this drive byte for byte, partition for partition. If anything goes wrong with the laptop hgst drive, I want to be able to pull the old drive and install the backup and fire it up and not miss a beat. Most software assumes you want to replace everything on a newly installed drive and not the duplicate. Am I going about this the wrong way or can I do this while waiting for another drive replacement?

kimpe, Sep 16, 2015
  6. Molyy Win User
    Maybe you can try free easeus disk copy to duplicate the hard drive. It is an old software but reliable for sector-by-sector disk copy. This sounds like safe enough.

Molyy, Sep 16, 2015
  7. Gramps Win User
    You can use AOEMI Backupper to clone your current drive to the back-up, and if the need arises plug it in and boot from it, the only problem is it will only contain data that existed at the time the clone was made. A system image once or twice a week will insure recent data is available. No sense in cloning that often as system image is faster and with AOEMI you can do incremental back-ups.

Gramps, Sep 16, 2015
  8. What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools?

Thank you all for your comments. I am not in the market for 3rd party software. What I'd like to understand is the apparently 3 different backup tool in Windows 10.

Thanks in advance

Jerrythesurfer, Sep 16, 2015
  9. msoucy Win User
    I use Paragon's Backup & Restore (paid version) to do my imaging. I have a 500Gb SSD in there for boot + spindles (new 1TB 7200 + 2 WD greens I think). I do image backups usually every week to 2 weeks just in case of a catastrophic failure so I can get back up and running in a reasonable amount of time. I'm not sure how well windows backup will work for that situation compared to 3rd parties. I prefer them over MS but that's just me. But I do image my systems at least 2+ times a month so I am not too far off if a drive fails badly. There are free and paid options out there and have tons of options (crazy amount). Anyways, I'd be interested in this topic as well from a windows program standpoint vs 3rd party and what I want to achieve (full system restore from latest image so I am not far off in regards to data loss, if any).

Mike

msoucy, Sep 26, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    • File History backs up user files (in libraries, desktop, contacts and favorites by default) - it tells you what on the instructions. It backs up changes every hour (or whatever you decide) so you can get old versions. It doesn't backup Windows OS files.
    • System Image backs up everything as a one off activity. You can use this image to restore Windows if it doesn't work and it will restore back your user documents to the time they were when you made it.
    • Windows Backup makes a system image and saves user data stored in libraries only (by default) as a one off activity. It doesn't save changes to user files like File history does.
    What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools? [​IMG]

If you have a system image and file history there is no point in using this backup option (that I can think of) as by default it does less than you already have. I guess it is there so it is familiar to legacy users.

In addition to these 3 there are also restore points which let you make a checkpoint (before installing software or testing some configuration change for example) and restore quickly back to it if it doesn't work.

11. Halaz,

Thanks for the complete and what looks like an accurate appraisal.

Just to be clear, let me focus on System Image Backup and Windows Backup.

System Image Backup will backup my version of Windows 10 as it is the moment I initiate the backup. As far as I can tell it only creates an image of my Windows 10, drivers, ....

Backup - appears to create BOTH a system image as well as backup the user files that are in the Library.

Did I get that correct?

Jerry

Jerrythesurfer, Sep 28, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    Yes, you got it correct.

The "System image" (however you make it) will be the same. It will backup everything on your main drive (so all of windows and all documents you have stored there). It is what you need to restore if Windows stops working.

The "Windows Backup" will (by default) make a system image (exactly the same) and back up libraries as well.

The libraries will be (by default) a duplicate of what is on the system image anyway. They will be your documents and pictures which, if you have not moved them (or added other folders to your libraries) be in C:\Users\<name>\Pictures etc which would be on the system image anyway.

You do want to make a system image when your system is working OK (how you make it doesn't matter). File History is good to restore old versions of user files.

Windows Backup adds nothing of interest. It allows you another way to make a (identical) system image and duplicate some things included in File History (but in a less useful one off way).

13. What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools?

Halaz,

Understood. However, Create System Image creates a file with a structure that is different than what is created using Windows Backup.

I know how to access and restore from the Create System even if I lose my C:\. The only way I know to restore from Windows Backup is via Windows 10 so if I lost me C:\ I'm not sure what to do.

Jerrythesurfer, Sep 29, 2015
  14. Halaz,

Understood. However, Create System Image creates a file with a structure that is different than what is created using Windows Backup.

Halasz,
    Create System Image creates a folder called WindowsImageBackup. In that folder is a file that is the name of my computer. I assume if I restore it will be from that file. I have a few questions regarding this file. It seems if I do another Create System Image it will overwrite that file with a new version. Is that correct? If I rename the file prior to creating a new Image, if I do a restore will I get a chance to pick the file to restore from or will it always be that latest?

It seems like restoring from Backup and Restore (Windows 7) allows me to pick the date I want to use

Hope that was almost clear enough to comment on.

Thanks, Jerry

Jerrythesurfer, Sep 29, 2015
  15. Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. After suffering through a fatal Win10 crash on both my P.C. and my wife's laptop, I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2 TB Western Digital USB Passport drive yesterday. It was annoying having wipe the hard drives of all software/folders/photos/etc.. and start from scratch by installing Windows10. Am going to make a system image once per month of both our computers.

The free program called Macrium Reflect gets high marks here in the forum for creating system images, so I'll use that one. Hopefully two will fit on this WD 2TB Passport. Thanks again for to everyone for your input on this.

AllenChicago, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools?

1. What Is the Difference Between Windows 10 Backup Tools? - Similar Threads - Difference Between Backup

2. What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?: Hello, I'm planning to create a Windows 11 USB for reinstallation and recovery but I need to know the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool, so I know the difference and which one to select....
  3. What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?: Hello, I'm planning to create a Windows 11 USB for reinstallation and recovery but I need to know the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool, so I know the difference and which one to select....
  4. What is the difference between an app and an application in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the difference between an app and an application in Windows 10?: Apparently, since Windows 8 there has been a meaningful technical distinction between a Windows app and a Windows application, and the distinction became somehow more significant in Windows 10. Thinking this was a rather simple question that wouldn't take long to answer, I...
  5. What is the difference between "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and "Media creation tool"?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the difference between "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and "Media creation tool"?: I am concerned about the download size. Will there be any difference in download sizes with these tools? submitted by /u/Vinay_K_K [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jlw6bi/what_is_the_difference_between_windows_10_update/
  6. What is Difference between the windows 10 apps and programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is Difference between the windows 10 apps and programs: Why does it only show some of the programs in control panel and does show the apps downloaded from Microsoft store in the control panel settings...
  7. What’s the difference between these windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What’s the difference between these windows?: Right now I have windows 10 home. But I hear a lot about windows creator update? How do I know if I have this I’m not really sure if this is a whole is version or just an update.? If I don’t have it how do I go about getting it. I’m building a new pc and I’m installing a...
  8. Differences between MS upgrading tools?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Differences between MS upgrading tools?: This is a desktop installation. Currently, release 1903 18632.535 build is installed and want to upgrade to 1909, but retain the installed software. MS offered two tools, which I downloaded MediaCreationTool1909.exe (18mb) and Windows10Upgrade9252.exe (6mb ) to the Desktop....
  9. CPU temp differs between tools

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU temp differs between tools: Core Temp is reporting a stable 55 degrees Celsius, whereas my BIOS is reporting 75-80 degrees Celsius. Should I be concerned here? I have not had any system crashes due to overheating or any freezes for that matter. Thanks! :) > PC Specifications CPU: AMD Athlon X4...
  10. Difference between backup wizards?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Difference between backup wizards?: Hey folks! I can't figure out what the difference between the "system image"-wizard and the "file backup"-wizard is, regarding a full system image. I know that the last wizard backs up system files plus user files like "Documents", "Photos" and so on. But I just want to...