Windows 10: What is the point of Jump Lists?

Discus and support What is the point of Jump Lists? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've never used Jump Lists as they always seemed a bit pointless. For example, I've always turned off the function to use jump lists on the start menu.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015.

1. WhyMe Win User

What is the point of Jump Lists?

I've never used Jump Lists as they always seemed a bit pointless. For example, I've always turned off the function to use jump lists on the start menu.

Please could someone take a moment to explain it's virtues, how it improves productivity, or maybe how it enhances the Windows experience, or anything else you think is good for that matter

I'm just thinking that it's possible I may have missed something. Please offer your thoughts

Thanks

:)

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015

2. What is the point of reservation?

This update is not required to get Windows 10, you can still get it even though you don't get the notification. Just download it on July 29th 2015 when it becomes available. You will have one year to do so. The Reserve app is just a reminder/notification
    for its availability.

You have persons who will go through 365 days of the year and then tell you one year later, they didn't know Microsoft was giving away Windows 10 for free.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 6, 2015
  3. What is the point of reservation?

IMHO there is no reason to reserve and quite a few not to. Reserving gives MS an email to send spam to, does not get you the update any more quickly, and seeds control over when, where, and how to update.

I honestly do not understand the fervor to "reserve"

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Sep 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello WhyMe, *Smile

Jump lists could be handy to reopen recent and frequent items that you open with an app you pinned to taskbar. You can also pin any of these items in the jump list to make sure you always have them available.

Jump Lists - Pin or Unpin Items - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    Thanks for the reply, link and confirmation of their purpose.

It seems then that the sole purpose of Jump Lists are to do the things that I absolutely never want to happen. It just seems so insecure to have lists of all recent activity. Hence the reason why I have always disabled Jump Lists across all programs. Thank you MS for the functionality, but I shall continue to decline and avoid lol

Thread solved

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the point of Jump Lists? - Similar Threads - point Jump Lists

2. Jump list issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jump list issue: I recently upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11. On Windows 10, under on my task bar I had one file pinned to the excel jump list. However, after I upgraded, the files seems to be permanently in the jump list. When I click on it, I get the message “The item you have...
  3. Jump lists?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jump lists?: Win 10 Pro 22H2, fully up-to-date.Not sure this is a Jump List issue or something else...In the past, when I clicked Start>Run I could click the v at right end of the Open: box to pop up and select from a list of recently run apps, eg, msinfo32, regedit, services.msc, etc....
  4. Jump lists?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jump lists?: Win 10 Pro 22H2, fully up-to-date.Not sure this is a Jump List issue or something else...In the past, when I clicked Start>Run I could click the v at right end of the Open: box to pop up and select from a list of recently run apps, eg, msinfo32, regedit, services.msc, etc....
  5. Jump lists?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. JUMP Lists

JUMP Lists: Do JUMP Lists still work in the Windows 10 taskbar? For Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2, OS build 19042.1165. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-lists/30e338af-26cf-434d-9f56-d39d975ba257
  7. jump lists and timeline

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    jump lists and timeline: Since updating from Win10 v1803 to Win10 v1903 my apps no longer generate entries in either associated jumplists or in Windows timeline, this is most annoying as I work with word documents and either have to remember where they are saved and what they are named including...
  8. Jump lists IE

in Browsers and Email
    Jump lists IE: SInce updating to Win 1903 i notice the jump list on IE behaving a little odd, i have pinned and frequent sites in it. The favicons are random in behaviour as sometimes a few of them will be blank upon right click of IE in my start menu. But then i will try it again and...
  9. Jump list

Jump list: If you don't want jump list on the web browser in the taskbar 1.Settings 2.personalisation 3.start 4.Show recently opened items in jump list on start or the taskbar, click off. However this works only once, when you reboot and use your web browser, the jump list ends up...
  10. jump list

jump list: hello people is there a hack or tweak out there that wil let me change the order of my pinned itmes in the jumplist you used to be able to drag them,,, but no more 92365