Windows 10: What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env)

Discus and support What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Laptops on Windows 10 Pro seems to show this useless "Other User" option which is defaulted. This requires people to click "Local or domain account... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by kjstech, Sep 27, 2015.

1. kjstech Win User

What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env)

Laptops on Windows 10 Pro seems to show this useless "Other User" option which is defaulted. This requires people to click "Local or domain account password" in the lower left in order to be presented with fields for their username and password. Is there a way to eliminate "Other User" or at least have the system present username and password fields under this option? My desktop on Windows 10 Pro seems to show username and password fields under the "Other User" text, much like it does in this how to: Sign in Screen - Do Not Display User Name in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Not sure what makes a laptop different or how I can make the behavior match.

The only special options we have configured via Group Policies are these:
    Default Domain GPO elements regarding login:
    Computer > Windows > Security > Security Options > Local Policies
    Interactive Logon: Do not display last user name - Enabled
    Interactive Logon: Message text for users attempting to log on - Defined with our AUP/Disclaimer
    Interactive Logon: Message title for users attempting to log on - Defined with our company name.
    Computer > Administrative Templates > System > Logon
    Assign a default domain for logon - Enabled and defined with our domain name
    Always wait for the network and computer startup and logon - Enabled
    Hide entry points for Fast User Switching - Enabled (via local policy because I am testing if this makes a difference or not).
    I noticed I need to have "Hide entry points for fast user switching" enabled in Windows 10 so on a reboot it does not show the last user name when trying to log in.

What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env) [​IMG]

:)

kjstech, Sep 27, 2015

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Sep 27, 2015
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

This is not exclusively a Windows 10 issue. It used to happen in earlier versions as well.
    Check here: Group Policy \Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Exclude credential providers
    Disable the MS account credential provider (you need to check which entry it is).

Kanata, Sep 27, 2015
  5. kjstech Win User
    What other versions of windows exhibited this problem? My laptop is running 8.1 and has no issue logging into the domain.

I forgot to mention in GPO from Default Domain Policy we also have this enabled:
    Computer > Windows > Security > Local Policies > Security Options > Accounts: Block Microsoft Accounts - Users can't add or log on with Microsoft Accounts.

Not sure how check which entry MS account credential provider is. I thought it would be a CLSID but googling it no one seems to publish what that CLSID is.

kjstech, Sep 27, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    Microsoft account is: F8A0B131-5F68-486C-8040-7E8FC3C85BB6

Kanata, Sep 27, 2015
  7. kjstech Win User
    Ok I broke the laptop login. I tried to make the credential providers match what's on my Windows 10 desktop. So I noticed the laptop has two credentials in the registry location that my desktop does not have. They are both Onex credential provider and onex smartcard provider. I put both of them in the exclude credential providers local group policy to test, the values are: {07AA0886-CC8D-4e19-A410-1C75AF686E62},{33c86cd6-705f-4ba1-9adb-67070b837775}. Rebooted and now it just says Other User on the screen with no fields to enter any information! There is nothing in the lower left corner or anything. Literally its a giant paper weight.

So I fired up mmc as a domain admin from another machine and added the local group policy snap in for the laptop machine and luckilly I can undo that setting and reboot the laptop.

I did notice that Assign a default credential provider is populated with this value: {60b78e88-ead8-445c-9cfd-0b87f74ea6cd}
    According to the registry that is PasswordProvider. This was me trying to get a password prompt as the default a few weeks ago without success, so I think I'll undo that while I'm here as well.

kjstech, Sep 27, 2015
  8. kjstech Win User

Thanks Kanta. I thought that may be it since in the registry it says WLIDCredentialProvider (WL as in Windows Live ID ?).

I was able to fix my mess up via the local group policy snap in and remotely running gpupdate /force via psexec, so now I'm back to square one. I put in the windows live ID credential provider in the Exclude credential providers, ran a gpupdate / force and rebooted the machine. Didn't make any difference. Still shows "Other User" as default with no text boxes to do anything. Have to click on Local or domain account password in the lower left. I found this how to here: How to assign default Credential Provider in Windows 10 And I tried that with PasswordPolicy credential provider GUID but unlike what that article says, nothing appears as "default" on the Other User tab.

I'm at a loss as to how this is programmed.

I have a Sony Vaio SE2 that I had to undo Windows 10 on it because after upgrading 8.1 to 10 All I got was the "Other User" screen with nothing to click on, so it was impossible to give the system login credentials. For the record this computer, (and all computers) with this topics behavior are Dell Latitude E5440's.

kjstech, Sep 27, 2015
  9. Kanata Win User
    If it's fairly certain that it's mostly on these Dells, perhaps a call to their support may be worthwhile. If you get the right person you may be in luck.

Kanata, Sep 27, 2015
  10. joya Win User
    Hi kjstech! Try to disable this group policy "Interactive Logon: Do not display last user name". Reboot your computer and the next time Windows login screen will display your last user name as the default login instead of "Other user".

11. kjstech Win User
    Hmm I would but that is our Default domain policy. Then we can't join the domain.

I could break it out into its own GPO and use GPO Filtering to not apply it to Windows 10 machines, but its mandated company security policy.

kjstech, Sep 28, 2015
  12. kjstech Win User
    Ok that just makes things even weirder.
    Reboot the machine, get 4 icons down the left.
    The first icon is the last user logged on (Me in this case), but NO password field so its useless.

The second icon is Other user, again no password field so another useless tile.

Third is password, but the user is pre-populated and unchangeable previous user name but with an editable password field.

Fourth is local or domain account password which provides a user name and password field (what we want to default to).

Fifth is Smart card which does nothing. There were two of these but when I disabled both Broadcom smartcard devices in devmgmt.msc, it brought this down to one of these.

kjstech, Oct 5, 2015
  13. What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env)

Is this issue still ongoing? we're having the same issue on a Lenovo laptop.

ArsenalFan, Oct 26, 2015
  14. kjstech Win User
    I just tried upgrading my Sony laptop from 8.1 to the new 10 build that came out November 11th, and this time I no longer have the problem. I have a user name and password field every power up / wake up, which is the behavior we expect when having the GPO set to not show last user logged on. I'll have to try to upgrade to this build on some of the Dell's that were having the issue.

I'm hopeful that this new build put the axe in this issue once and for all. The build is 10586, version 1511. If you download the media creation tool from Microsoft it will automatically grab the bits for the latest build. I noticed that they consolidated and have one media creation tool now instead of having separate 32 and 64 bit ones. Finally some progress in simplicity.

kjstech, Nov 15, 2015
  15. I want to disable "other user" from windows logon screen in windows 10.
    1) System is member of domain.
    2) I am using 2FA so i need system should be in domain but other user from LOGON SCREEN should be inactive or disable.

Best regards,
    varma

bachchulal, Jun 11, 2016
Thema:

1. What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env) - Similar Threads - purpose User login

2. "Other user" at login screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Other user" at login screen?: My HP laptop suddenly restarted, then presented itself with the login screen, it made me input the username and password for some user named "other user", it did not me go into my original account which didn't even have a password in the first place. I've seen that a few...
  3. "Other user" at login screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Other user" at login screen?: My HP laptop suddenly restarted, then presented itself with the login screen, it made me input the username and password for some user named "other user", it did not me go into my original account which didn't even have a password in the first place. I've seen that a few...
  4. domain user is shown as DOM\USER in login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    domain user is shown as DOM\USER in login screen: while i try to login to my pc I have my username automatically shown like <DOM\USER> it used to be only USERNAME idk what happened and I searched for this problem but i can't seem to find anything.......
  5. domain user is shown as DOM\USER in login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    domain user is shown as DOM\USER in login screen: while i try to login to my pc I have my username automatically shown like <DOM\USER> it used to be only USERNAME idk what happened and I searched for this problem but i can't seem to find anything.......
  6. domain user is shown as DOM\USER in login screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Domain user login not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain user login not working: Hi All, I have a some doubt regarding one of user logon scenario.I am using _KERB_INTERACTIVE_UNLOCK_LOGON structure. Under that Logon member is corresponding to KERB_INTERACTIVE_LOGON.Here is the structure:typedef struct _KERB_INTERACTIVE_LOGON { KERB_LOGON_SUBMIT_TYPE...
  8. Other users not showing on login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Other users not showing on login screen: I just did a fresh install of Windows 10, and added a second user with admin privileges. Now this second user doesn't show up on the login screen, and so I can't login to that user. How do I fix this?...
  9. what is purpose of "C:/USERS" folder ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what is purpose of "C:/USERS" folder ?: My part of it is over 5. Gb. Could it all be deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-purpose-of-cusers-folder/a25b2cad-43a0-487a-86ae-592b4ab5d38c"
  10. Logging in as Other User in domain

in Windows 10 Support
    Logging in as Other User in domain: My fully updated Win10 machine logs into my domain as "Other User" and just spins - after a restart. I've also tried to log in as an Administrator and the same thing happens. If I shut down it will let me log in normal. My pdc is a Windows Server 2012 R2 with no dns issues -...