Windows 10: What is the purpose of these unknown partitions?

Discus and support What is the purpose of these unknown partitions? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] Can someone please look at the below capture and tell me what the purpose of partitions 1, 2 ,4 & 5 are? Should I keep them, and if so how can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by provlima, Oct 10, 2017.

1. provlima Win User

What is the purpose of these unknown partitions?

What is the purpose of these unknown partitions? [​IMG]
    Can someone please look at the below capture and tell me what the purpose of partitions 1, 2 ,4 & 5 are?

Should I keep them, and if so how can they potentially help me in the future?

Thanks for your help!

:)

provlima, Oct 10, 2017

2. Does anyone know what the purpose of any of these systems apps actually is?

All of these are in /Windows/SystemApps

I have no idea what most of these are, or if they are "required" by windows. I would like to do a clean sweep and get rid of most all of this.

Microsoft.WindowsPicker

Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI <should be part of Control Panel?

ParentalControls <should be part of Control Panel?

Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal

Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow

Microsoft.Windows.ModalSharePickerHost

Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager

Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost <Guessing has to do with OneCloud, therefore serves no purpose.

Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp

Microsoft.Windows.AppRep

Microsoft.Windows.LockApp

Microsoft.Windows.creddialoghost

Microsoft.Bioenrollment <What?

Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin

Microsoft.AccountsControl

Microsoft.Windows.AppResolver

DesktopLearning

DesktopView

Microsoft.Windows.FileExplorer <-Related to Windows Explorer

Microsoft.Windows.File.Picker

Ye Old Great One, Oct 10, 2017
  3. d0gknees Win User
    Does anyone know what the purpose of any of these systems apps actually is?

Ultimately you have only two choices. You can trust MS when they tell you what the components are for and what they do, or you can stop using Windows at all.

There is no way you are ever going to find out what every component is used for unless you can get hold off all the source code and have the skill to understand what every part is doing and how they interact. Given there are millions of lines of code (probably
    10's of millions by now) that is pretty much impossible for anyone.

That in no way says you are a moron, just that it's all far more complex than pretty much anyone can hope to understand in its entirety.

It's your choice.

d0gknees, Oct 10, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

5. provlima Win User
    Thanks for the heads up on forgetting to attach the image

here it is

What is the purpose of these unknown partitions? [​IMG]

provlima, Oct 10, 2017
  6. zooburner Win User
    I would keep them, the last three look like support partitions to restore your computer to a 'when you purchased it' state. they contain a boot partition for recovery, an image backup of your computer to restore it to when you first got it, I suspect the other one has tools that you can use. the other two are normal in windows 10.

zooburner, Oct 10, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    Obviously it's a Dell and they go their own way, hence those extra partitions.

The Red 12 GB one is the Manufacturers recovery partition for Windows and the two each side look like Dell specific ones for recovery/support etc 4, 5, 6.
    1,2, are standard though looks like Dell is a bit different, however they are for system use.

Don't meddle, you may want to use that recovery partition. You have plenty of drive space.

I would also make recovery media on a USB key drive, manufacturers usually direct you to do that, then you have an external copy should your HDD fail at some point.

Helmut, Oct 11, 2017
  8. provlima Win User

Thanks for your input.
    I made a macrium rescue disk in case I cant boot up. Would the recovery partition be reduntant? If not in what scenario would the recovery partition help?
    Thanks for educating me on this important recovery issue

provlima, Oct 11, 2017
  9. Quexos Win User
    It looks to me like 3 (1 Windows itself) Windows GPT partitions, and 3 extra Dell recovery partitions because Dell LOVES to waste your space like that and installing Dell updaters and updaters for the updaters for things no one knows what the @#$% it is, etc.

I'd leave them alone...if I were you. If I were me, and I am, and I had a Dell, I would wipe that @#$% clean and reinstall Windows myself on a single, sensible sized partition, plus my own large storage partition where I would put my own backup image (Macrium, Acronis, etc) of the fresh, Dell-free, cleanly installed Windows/Linux without all the bloat...but that's just me.

Note: You made a rescue disk? Do you mean an image or just a bootable CD to run Macrium? Did you use that disk to make a back image of the entire Windows partition? If not, you need to. In theory, that is what Dell has done on those extra partitions, but I have never used those to restore a system, so...no idea how well it would work.

In theory (I do not trust anything I didn't create myself), they are in case you somehow borked your system or got a virus or something and wanted to just restore it to the state it was in the day you bought it, you would run a Dell boot CD or something (boot from one of those partitions?) and restore the image from that red 12 GB partition, overwriting the existing Windows partition. You lose everything that has changed since the day the backup image was made though, of course. That is why I always have a Storage Partition (and a backup of that on an external USB drive) on my builds where I keep anything I am not willing to lose at any moment. Almost nothing other than system files (parts of Windows/Linux itself) and installed programs are on my actual Windows partition for very long.

Quexos, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the purpose of these unknown partitions? - Similar Threads - purpose unknown partitions

2. "Sound Research" Folder in AppData Local, unknown purpose.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Sound Research" Folder in AppData Local, unknown purpose.: In my local appdata folder C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\ I found a folder called "SoundResearch"Within it is a folder called "NativeMessaging." Inside that folder, there is a .json file called "com.soundresearch.contentclassifier" with the following text:{ "name":...
  3. "Sound Research" Folder in AppData Local, unknown purpose.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Sound Research" Folder in AppData Local, unknown purpose.: In my local appdata folder C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\ I found a folder called "SoundResearch"Within it is a folder called "NativeMessaging." Inside that folder, there is a .json file called "com.soundresearch.contentclassifier" with the following text:{ "name":...
  4. What is the purpose of this device and what is it for?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the purpose of this device and what is it for?: pci\ ven_8086&dev_9a03&subsys_15391025&rev_05\ 3&11583659&0&20 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-purpose-of-this-device-and-what-is-it/392ce0a1-31e2-4d20-909f-4455ea644848
  5. What is the purpose of this device and what is it for?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the purpose of this device and what is it for?: pci\ ven_8086&dev_9a03&subsys_15391025&rev_05\ 3&11583659&0&20 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-purpose-of-this-device-and-what-is-it/392ce0a1-31e2-4d20-909f-4455ea644848
  6. What is AppVshNotify.exe and what is it’s purpose?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is AppVshNotify.exe and what is it’s purpose?: I encountered an exe file in details on Task Manager called AppVshNotify.exe, I have never seen it before but it says it’s Microsoft.I performed a virus scan and found nothing and the directory was C:/Program Files/Common Files/microsoft shared/clicktorunIs this a normal...
  7. What is the purpose of this partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the purpose of this partition?: I was partitioning my 500 gb hard drive, and I saw a ~75 GB partition without a drive letter. I was wondering if I created it by accident or is it necessary for windows to run. It is shown as a primary partition unlike the important things like efi boot and recovery and is...
  8. What is a Device Driver? What is its purpose?

in Windows 10 News
    What is a Device Driver? What is its purpose?: [ATTACH] Device Drivers are the software through which, the kernel of a computer communicates with different hardware, without having to go into the details of how the hardware works. It is a software that controls a hardware part attached to a [...] This post What is a...
  9. 9.2 GB Folder with unknown purpose in %programdata%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    9.2 GB Folder with unknown purpose in %programdata%: Hello, I've been doing some hard disk cleanup and I ran into this folder in %programdata%. The folder itself consists of multiple sub directories of multiple sizes/content. I can't seem to remove the folder(s) in any way allthough I'm admin on this machine. I tried to...
  10. What's the purpose of desktop.ini?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the purpose of desktop.ini?: It has no effect on my desktop whether it's there or deleted. 56475