Windows 10: What is the "slow processor" feature?

Discus and support What is the "slow processor" feature? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello! While using Aida64, a utility that give details about hardware and software, I noticed the "slow processor" in Operating System Features:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by spapakons, Dec 13, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

What is the "slow processor" feature?

Hello!

While using Aida64, a utility that give details about hardware and software, I noticed the "slow processor" in Operating System Features:

What is the "slow processor" feature? [​IMG]

What is this? Is this applicable in Windows 10? Assuming it can help performance in systems with slow CPU or low RAM, how can I enable it?

Thank you in advance.

:)

spapakons, Dec 13, 2015

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Dec 13, 2015
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Dec 13, 2015
  4. What is the "slow processor" feature?

There is no such information on it. But clearly it is not something you want to enable.

logicearth, Dec 13, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Probably it would limit Windows features to make it better for slow CPU, but certainly I don't want to lose any feature.

spapakons, Dec 13, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    This is purely informational and there is nothing you can set. Windows detects whether or not you have a slow processor according to some criteria (probably undocumented) and Aida is showing the results of that test. This information is provided as a convenience to applications that can use it as they wish, or most likely ignore it. Windows components can also use this information. I don't know if Windows 10 actually makes this test.

Edit: Applications like Aida often use checkboxes to show information but this unfortunately gives the impression to users that it is something they can change. None of those checkboxes in the screen shot will do anything, even if you could set them.

LMiller7, Dec 14, 2015
  7. YOU
    You Win User
    I suppose that that would be ticked in Power Saving Mode, as Power Saving Mode limits the processor speed to, well, save power. Either that, or it means that the CPU is being bottlenecked due to inadequate cooling. I don't have any experience with this software, but that's what I would interpret it as. What an ambiguous name.

8. LMiller7 Win User

I expect that this status is determined at bootup and never changes after that. It is to be a gauge of CPU capabilities, not how well it is currently performing as that could change quickly.

LMiller7, Dec 14, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Yes, I am aware this is only informational, but I thought there must be some setting in Windows toggling that. Nevermind. Windows would be slow on a slow CPU anyway.

spapakons, Dec 14, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    According to Aida64 it shows the result of the function GetSystemMetrics(SM_SLOWMACHINE)..

In Windows 95 a computer was considered slow if:

• If the CPU was an 80386, then the machine was considered slow.
    • If the computer had less than 6MB of RAM, then the machine was considered slow.
    • If the display driver admitted that it was slow, then the machine was considered slow.
    • Otherwise, the machine was considered fast.

But this hasn't been used since Windows NT when the algorithm was changed to:
    • All machines are fast,

What is a SM_SLOWMACHINE? | The Old New Thing

So not very useful information these days.

Thema:

1. What is the "slow processor" feature? - Similar Threads - slow processor feature

2. Photos slow motion feature

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos slow motion feature: I can't seem to find it now, and when I opened it last month to slow mo a video, the super slowmo feature on the turtle icon changed! It's not like the super slowmo before! How can I turn it back to the previous photos? I don't like this new update. Please help :( submitted...
  3. What's the recommended minimum processor state?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the recommended minimum processor state?: Hello, I'm a gamer, and I'm wondering what I should set the minimum processor state on for my PC? It's currently at 100% along with max processor state sitting also at 100% in Power Management. Should I leave it this way? What's the recommended state for gaming? Thank you....
  4. Is my processor slow??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my processor slow??: I just wanted to know that is an i3 7th gen intel core processor considered slow for windows 10, as I use one and my laptop works quite slow. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-my-processor-slow/2b06a632-7126-4d88-8a24-169b8d3b7ae7
  5. This PC’s processor doesn’t support a critical feature

in Windows 10 News
    This PC’s processor doesn’t support a critical feature: [ATTACH]If when you try to upgrade to Windows 10 and you receive the error message “This PC’s processor doesn’t support a critical feature“, then this […] This article This PC’s processor doesn’t support a critical feature first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. What intel processor generation is this?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What intel processor generation is this?: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3700 @ 1.60GHZ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-intel-processor-generation-is-this/d68262d3-932b-4adc-8949-801f3933ab10
  7. What is Processor Affinity & how to set Processor Affinity on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What is Processor Affinity & how to set Processor Affinity on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When a Program runs in Windows 10, it uses CPU. Most of the computers have a multicore processor. Any Program that you run uses all the CPU cores. In simple words, Windows OS decides how to use the cores for [...] This post What is Processor Affinity & how...
  8. This pc's processor doesn't support a critical feature (nx)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This pc's processor doesn't support a critical feature (nx): Hi, I want to install Windows 10 32-bit and I have the below error when I'm installing windows 10. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/this-pcs-processor-doesnt-support-a-critical/0ff8789b-02a2-40b0-9d3a-c9ad83235d10
  9. Slow processor after Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow processor after Windows 10 upgrade: Hi, I'm new to this group, so hope I am in the right board. I have an HP15 Notebook which has been running slow since a Win10 upgrade (Although this might have just heightened the problem). Pentium N3540 processor and 4GB memory. I installed CPUID HW-MONITOR to try to...
  10. This PC's processor doesn't support a critical feature (NX)."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This PC's processor doesn't support a critical feature (NX).": Hi there, When i try to upgrade W7 to W10 I get the no NX message. I've run CoreInfo and my CPU supports NX, SEE2 e.t.c mentioned on plenty of google search pages. My Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro P300 CPU is a Intel T9550, Have no idea what the motherboard is. The...